1 2
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
5/20/22 5:13 p.m.

Personally, I've been fighting myself internally between the 175 amp Lotos MIG or the PrimeWeld MIG180 as my end-all, be all machines. The information paralysis is real.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
5/20/22 11:30 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Personally, I've been fighting myself internally between the 175 amp Lotos MIG or the PrimeWeld MIG180 as my end-all, be all machines. The information paralysis is real.

Primeweld, no hesitation.  The best customer service I have ever gotten.  I have the original MIG180 but have used the newer model with the digital display, it also has stick weld capability and can run off 110.  Like mine, the spool gun is included.

Nomad
Nomad Reader
5/21/22 7:46 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

I have the little Eastwood 135 and it does what I need with no drama and can't tell a difference between that and the name brands (other than the knobs are labeled differently and run a test piece no matter what). I would have bought the bigger one if I didn't have a tig already.

I got the 135 From Eastwood since it was in my small budget and my 60s house only has 110v in the garage. Didn't want to run a 220 line upstairs and across the whole houe just to reach the garage so here we are. 

It's done perfect for floorpans of course, and I just built some rock sliders weled to 3/16" plate for my suv. It struggled at that thickness but "I welded and it helded" so good'nuff.

I understand putting flux core wire in it would also allow more heat into the weld but I just used .030 wire, cranked it and pulled slowly. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/22 3:04 p.m.

Playing with a new Primeweld 180 before I start actually welding on the car.  What is interesting/confusing is that the little voltage/wire speed guide says I should be up at 478 inches/minute for such and such material.  The book says the welder will go to 551.

With the dial cranked all the way, it only goes to 275. 

I did not see anything in the manual about a dual range on the unit, everything seems to be set for MIG (not stick not gasless wire).  

Could this be because it is on 110 and not 220?  I mean, if so then ok.  But it'd be nice if I could find that in the manual.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
52xwThKPGl1lGKQte0OLHeck5YyZvfXpoMh384rw1BnP0vJhQ7mG8yXmEJg4sU9F