1 2 3 4
Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
7/28/15 10:36 p.m.

I didn't hack any aux nothin' into nothin'. I bought an Ion Bluetooth cassette adapter and it works pretty great.

And you have the bigger brakes, too. '98 has the same brakes for all the XJs.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/28/15 10:46 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I didn't hack any aux nothin' into nothin'. I bought an Ion Bluetooth cassette adapter and it works pretty great. And you have the bigger brakes, too. '98 has the same brakes for all the XJs.

I almost did that, but cheapness won out. I had a long enough cable from my e39 and was able to run it pretty easily (behind drivers side C-Pillar, down side of seat, across front of seat, inside edge of rear console, and up the side of the center console)

m4ff3w
7/28/15 11:09 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: And you have the bigger brakes, too. '98 has the same brakes for all the XJs.

Mine doesn't have the Brembos. Is there a brake fitting in between the Brembos and XJ8?

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
7/29/15 10:16 a.m.

Yeah, the discs are larger. Same calipers, as far as I know, but mine is a 305mm front disc and '99+ is a 325mm. The Brembos won't fit under 18" wheels.

m4ff3w
8/12/15 11:43 p.m.

I've racked up nearly 3k miles on her so far. The 1st tank was a whopping 11.7mpg - but to be fair I was way deep in the throttle for most of it.

My overall average is 18.9, 19.2 discounting the first tank, including some really fun runs on back roads in Kentucky. The suspension surprised me on the twisties, it handles better than I was have guessed. Not M5 level, but probably somewhere between my e39 540i/6 and M5. It is genuinely fun on the back roads with traction control off, despite the auto trans.

I did get a CEL for a o2 sensor heater failure, which I need to address.

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/12/15 11:46 p.m.

I have wanted one for awhile, maybe now is the time...

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/15 12:19 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I did get a CEL for a o2 sensor heater failure, which I need to address.

I looked it up. The repair manual calls for a 1" square of black electrical tape to be placed over the CEL.

Let me know if you need me to come by and help

m4ff3w
8/13/15 2:05 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: I did get a CEL for a o2 sensor heater failure, which I need to address.
I looked it up. The repair manual calls for a 1" square of black electrical tape to be placed over the CEL. Let me know if you need me to come by and help

It isn't a VW.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/15 6:41 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I've racked up nearly 3k miles on her so far. The 1st tank was a whopping 11.7mpg - but to be fair I was way deep in the throttle for most of it. My overall average is 18.9, 19.2 discounting the first tank, including some really fun runs on back roads in Kentucky. T

I did the comparisons:

2001 4.0-liter, 8-cylinder, supercharged, jag gets almost 20mpg at 370hp.

1966 4.2-liter, 6-cyl, carbureted, Impala gets almost 20mpg at 150hp

Dag-gum emissions and fuel injection is going to be the death of the hot-rodder

Next time you go on a road trip, I demand you head north so I can give the ol' girl a good rogering.

m4ff3w
8/13/15 6:53 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: Next time you go on a road trip, I demand you head north so I can give the ol' girl a good rogering.

Meet me in Denver or Laramie on the weekend of the 23rd

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/15 7:32 p.m.

Really gorgeous. Well played! The blacked out trim adds a nice sinister touch!

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
8/13/15 8:13 p.m.

You guys are a terrible influence. I''ve been watching these closely for a few years and they are soooo buyable.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
8/13/15 8:18 p.m.
84FSP wrote: You guys are a terrible influence. I''ve been watching these closely for a few years and they are soooo buyable.

Do eeeeettt!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
8/13/15 9:07 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
I looked it up. The repair manual calls for a 1" square of black electrical tape to be placed over the CEL. Let me know if you need me to come by and help

I must be tired because it took me a few seconds to realize the joke. Then I laughed.

m4ff3w
9/6/15 2:28 p.m.

Other than pretty atrocious in-town mileage, though my right foot is part of the problem, I love the car.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/16 5:27 p.m.

The Jag is a beast.

I had to replace the "super charger duct seal" which is the seal between the super charger outlet and the air-to-water intercoolers, but other than that, it's been good to me so far.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
1/5/16 5:50 p.m.

I just bought an '06 XKR in proper British Racing Green. Lord help me.

m4ff3w
5/23/16 7:58 p.m.

My Jag story ended.....

A few weeks ago the timing chain guides let loose - The '01 had reinforced guides - not the metal guides the 03+ got, but not as fragile as the early non-reinforced plastic ones. Mine let go and I didn't have time to do exploratory surgery. Vigo mentioned going into it with someone he knew, but things changed on his end.

The guy Vigo was planning on buying it with mentioned to him that he would sell his WRX Wagon to fund purchase and Vigo had the awesome idea of a trade. The guy came up and checked out the Jag and I checked out his '04 WRX and we did an even swap. Less unique than I'd usually go for - but it'll be a non-boring way to get back and forth to work every day.

I hope damage is minimized to tensioner/chain/guides. Both my and his research said that is usually the case.

I enjoyed owning it. The car was comfortable and powerful and above all - sexy. It was my first British car - more to come... Imp, Rover SD-1, Eclat/Elite II are all on the list...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/24/16 9:53 a.m.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/24/16 9:57 p.m.

The guy wants to fix it at my house. I'll let yall know how bad it ends up being.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/24/16 10:05 p.m.

So, m4ffew has a wrx now? Seems like a corolla compared to his other choices.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/24/16 10:17 p.m.

In case you become bored by the reliability of the Subaru...

88 Acura Rover Sterling 825sl- $650
http://ashtabula.craigslist.org/cto/5538697767.html

m4ff3w
5/24/16 11:41 p.m.
mndsm wrote: So, m4ffew has a wrx now? Seems like a corolla compared to his other choices.

Heartbreaking, isn't it. :(

The WRX is neat - but hopefully it can eventually be parlayed into a La Forza or something...

Unless my wife will learn to drive stick - then maybe Forester suspension plus a few mod-reductions and it becomes the toad for the RV.

m4ff3w
5/24/16 11:42 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In case you become bored by the reliability of the Subaru... 88 Acura Rover Sterling 825sl- $650 http://ashtabula.craigslist.org/cto/5538697767.html

If only a manual trans 827Sli

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/16 4:09 p.m.
mndsm wrote: So, m4ffew has a wrx now? Seems like a corolla compared to his other choices.

That's what I said! Doesn't seem right, does it?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EVH4uDDOZhZ79DpQaLxzqA4xGr9L3Ax0XKXOkRKU9zLnkyLoseAHi9ZDSLdOZcpR