1 2 3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/19/20 8:27 a.m.

My trusty Rally box has seen better days:

This thing was close to perfect for a long time, but is really showing the years of abuse at this point.  If I want something similar but better, where should I look?

Features of this box that I like and want to keep:

• Durable
  • 4 drawers + top minimum
  • Small enough to carry in a car
  • Liftable by any reasonably strong person

Features I wouldn't mind adding:

• Weatherproof
  • Heavier duty slides/latches/handles (all of which are failing on this box)

This is my only "good" toolbox so I'm willing to spend a bit of money here, but nothing too crazy.  What do you guys have that has served you well?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/20 8:38 a.m.

Ha, I have the exact same box!

Mine's been beat to death, the lid hasn't closed right in 10 years. At this point, it's my "indoor" toolbox. I can't part with it, partially because of the vintage 90s stickers it has...

Anyhow, to answer your question, Harbor Freight. They seem to fare just as well as anything else in comparisons, and of course, they are pretty cheap, especially with a 20% off coupon.

oldopelguy (Forum Supporter)
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/19/20 9:34 a.m.

If you're willing to change your style, I have 2 of  these, one for metric and one for SAE, and they are awesome. 

Don't judge by my implementation; I'm in the middle of a pretty massive tool sorting and still working out what goes where. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 9:37 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Honestly I'd start with this HF 301pc tool kit, then get a small box for any specialty tools you need.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/19/20 9:38 a.m.

In reply to oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) :

I like the look of that, but it doesn't really look conducive to the "throw the tools in and go" that frequently happens when I'm racing or fixing something on the side of the road.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/19/20 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I like drawers though- you can chuck whatever you were using back in the appropriate drawer without much thought when you're in a hurry.  The blow molded cases require a lot more thought to pack up.

oldopelguy (Forum Supporter)
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/19/20 9:42 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

When the lid shuts it traps the sockets on their pins, so it is pretty much only the wrenches that jostle around and then only if you have 5 or so of each size. The handles are very sturdy but it is decently heavy to lug around. 

79rex
79rex Reader
5/19/20 9:43 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 9:44 a.m.

What about canvass bags with socket and wrench and screwdriver organizers?

Or a big tool roll?

Metal boxes are heavy before you add any tools.

79rex
79rex Reader
5/19/20 9:45 a.m.
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/19/20 9:54 a.m.

I bought this thing last October.  I needed something that would fit behind the back seat of the TJ, and thought drawers would be handy.

It didn't survive one wheeling trip.  It wasn't anywhere near overloaded based on the sepcs, yet 3x drawer slides failed, and the latch bent.

In short, this is a flaming hot pile of garbage, avoid it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Portable-Tool-Box-20-5-in-Ball-bearing-3-Drawer-Red-Steel-Lockable-Tool-Box/1000602661

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/19/20 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe, although I find that my junkyard tool bag gets really nasty when the tools are dirty.

Let me explain why I like metal with drawers by having you picture the situation that I find most important with my toolbox:

Rally service stop, 40 minutes, car comes in broken, and the crew has to move immediately after to make their next fuel/service location.  It's dirty and disgusting and there are multiple people working simultaneously to get the car fixed- the moment the car leaves, the tools that are laying all over the place in the dirt get chucked back into the box, the box gets latched, thrown into the back of the truck, and the truck then hauls ass down a series of bumpy roads on its' way to do it all again.

The following weekend, back at home, I take everything out, clean the toolbox and sockets, organize everything, and replace whatever inevitably went missing.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
5/19/20 9:56 a.m.

I use a 10 gallon Rubbermaid tub. It keeps the weather out fine.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
5/19/20 10:28 a.m.

No personal experience, but for your intended usage I would think something like this might work: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200727833_200727833

Or, if you're willing to go to a cantilever-style box, there's this: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200388069_200388069

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/19/20 10:31 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I have no experience with the type from your first link, but am definitely interested in hearing from anyone who uses one.

With the cantilever style, I feel like every time I've encountered one it has been stuck or otherwise only semi-functional- that could be because they were all old junk, or it could be inherent in the design.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
5/19/20 10:45 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The cantilever types don't like being bashed around when open; closed up they're pretty robust. I don't think it's a big issue for a well-built unit, but then I don't often operate in the environment you're describing.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/20 12:21 p.m.

I have a 3 drawer version of this for my bike tools, which I set up back in 2001 when I was racing downhill and service requirements were sort of like rally racing.

I added side handles for lifting and an MDF board on top.

The big advantage of this type of box is it can live in the truck with stuff (parts bins) stacked on top.  In a track-side, truck setting, having to open the top of the box to open the drawers became a PITA.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 2:15 p.m.
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) said:

If you're willing to change your style, I have 2 of  these, one for metric and one for SAE, and they are awesome. 

Don't judge by my implementation; I'm in the middle of a pretty massive tool sorting and still working out what goes where. 

Brian Battochi had one like this in his service rig. It was nice to have everything accessable then put it back where it goes and shut the lid after service. I never tried to take it out of the truck though, it looks heavy.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
5/19/20 2:20 p.m.
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) said:

I have had my eye on that style for, well, a long time.  It looks like it would be spectacular, though not as a portable rig.  What brand are those? Performax?  My only hangup is I have somewhat odd width base (like 41" I think?) and I've not seen any that would nicely fit onto my base.  And they're pricey.  Not SnapOn pricey, but still.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/20 3:59 p.m.

Maybe something like this Kobalt box, which is like the Craftsman set above but with a bit more gear. Combine it with a Craftsman roller base like this to store your larger tools, grinders, etc. and you'd be pretty portable around a pit area.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/19/20 4:31 p.m.

Chris, you need a roll cage for your toolbox. Then pick whatever box has the best solids/latches. Imagine how much handier to lift and secure it would be with some thought given to it as part of the cage.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/19/20 4:32 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Like those cages around jobsite stereos?  That would actually be pretty amusing.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/19/20 4:34 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) :

I see a man with color coded Wera sockets and I see a man I want to hang out with. laugh

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
5/19/20 4:50 p.m.

If price is no object... $499.00

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/storage/pelican-mobile-tool-chest-0450-review/

Sweet Pelican case

I have no personal experience with this case but I was go ogling around looking for solutions. I figure that plastic is better for your harsh needs rather than metal. 

I watched the video in the link an interesting piece is that when the lid is open like in the picture above, that lid then has a 50lb rating as a shelf. Then becomes a dry place to put things. 

$500 is high but this looks like you can set it up in the shop on a work bench for daily use and when it's time to go just fold, latch, roll.  And, have it all with you, in the same places.

If I think of it as $250 for indoor and $250 for outdoors, it doesn't seem so steep. 

However, it says it is 41 lbs empty. Could be a 2 man lift into truck bed when full. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/19/20 5:03 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

That weight doesn't worry me, but the price does a bit.  That said, Pelican makes good stuff- my "heavy rally car spares" box is a large Pelican case that I pulled out of a dumpster after it was discarded for being "too ugly," which it is.  Still works great!

Maybe I'll setup an eBay alert for a used or surplus one of those.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rsax4U5jnYC4SU3bCYjblAGQj2n0whhwkZnZIoC5qOBGohR19vfKnta1ylSvcYxe