1 2 3
Dan Wink
Dan Wink GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/13/22 10:08 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Yeah- very tempting.  They even come with massaging seats...  

MPG is less important that comfort, but if you can get both...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Dan Wink :

You're not just facing high gas prices but California High Gas Prices.  I would think this would make MPG a paramount factor.  I also think that it might rule out diesel since the price delta for the fuel is greater than the saving that can be had.  Also, be sure to avoid anything that calls for Premium fuel.  

Is Tesla 3 a real option for you?  

Dan Wink
6/13/22 10:21 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks John- I will earn mileage on the travel so MPG is not the top priority, albeit still a consideration. With a diesel, I could fill up in Reno and not refill until I get back home.  Our diesel is on par with gas, or a little cheaper depending on season so that is an attractive option. 

I have considered a Tesla, but it would still add considerable time to the commute for charging and they are expensive as they are high demand. The fuel situation will likely be a relatively short term problem once Washington comes to its senses.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/22 10:42 a.m.

When I did a lot of work on the road, I used to rent V6 Impalas.  Great inexpensive cruiser.

Hard to knock the latest Honda Accord.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/22 10:45 a.m.

Not sure how your mileage compensation is structured but when I was doing 100+ miles a day in a prior job I suffered through it in a Honda Fit and it was like getting a paycheck bonus. With something like a Prius or a more luxe hybrid you could really turn it into a profit center (or at least get it to cover the car payment).

That aside my pick would be an Avalon or Lexus hybrid just for practicality's sake. I love European cars but I have never had great experiences with them as appliances.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/13/22 10:50 a.m.

You know, if I was facing that kind of distance, I would be searching for something with a good ADAS system to get some strain reduction.  

I havent shopped around too much, but I do know that you could option a Maverick Lariat with the goodies for $40k or less.  Two sides of the coin with that one, hybrid for gas mileage or ecoboost for AWD. That said, there is likely a better option as I know they can have a good amount of road noise and the seats could probably be more comfortable, I just mention it as one that I am aware of as I've been shopping for a Maverick. Others can probably chime other cars with the features that may be more suitable.

If you can find a cadillac CT6 with supercruise...  I have driven one (or been driven by?) and it was pretty good. Not nearly as fast as a tesla, but if the roads are on the GM network, its hands free with good driver monitoring and alerting. 

Just be realistic, its an aid, not a robo-driver. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/13/22 11:12 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Not sure how your mileage compensation is structured but when I was doing 100+ miles a day in a prior job I suffered through it in a Honda Fit and it was like getting a paycheck bonus. With something like a Prius or a more luxe hybrid you could really turn it into a profit center (or at least get it to cover the car payment).

That aside my pick would be an Avalon or Lexus hybrid just for practicality's sake. I love European cars but I have never had great experiences with them as appliances.

This.  With paid mileage you still have to weigh the difference between pocketing the "profit" or spending it on fuel.  Avalon Hybrid seems to be a strong contender here.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/13/22 11:19 a.m.

Lexus CT200h? I've never driven one but imagine they're great, if not extremely engaging, places to spend time.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Dan Wink :

Spend some time at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/  The compare feature can help you get an understanding of what annual fuel costs/saving can be.  You can customize the porgram too if you want to see what the cost/savings is for 35k miles per year or if you want to see what $6 gas does to the equation (or $4 gas if your bet is prices will go down.) 

The Power Search function might help you figure a car you didn't think about.  

As a second opinion, also check https://www.fuelly.com/ where people self-report their actual (not hypothitical) mpg.  

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/22 11:21 a.m.

I'll echo Audi sedan with their drivers assistance package and whatever luxury tech you want. Even an A6 with the S4's supercharged V6 pulls 30+ on the highway and will do it with great comfort. Plus real AWD, lights that work, and the power to pass anything right NOW. The TDI's are great as well. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/13/22 11:31 a.m.

The Lexus and Avalon are both the easy button and pretty much bulletproof. I'll toss one out no one thinks of, Volvo S90.

Here is one close to you with 29k miles. Was $70k new, now $40k at 4 years old. All the comfort, AWD and more reliable than the Audi

https://www.corwinfordreno.com/used-Reno-2018-Volvo-S90-T6+Inscription-LVY992MLXJP005415

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
6/13/22 11:42 a.m.

W212 e63 or C7 S6.......if they're good enough for cannonball records.............

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/13/22 12:22 p.m.
Dan Wink said:

Hi all- 

An upcoming job change is going to require weekly trips from Reno to Sacramento or Oakland. For those unfamiliar with the west- that's 120-180 miles each way and includes a winter Sierra pass over donner summit (yes... donner party). 

I have been driving a 987.2 cayman, but it's a horrible highway car. I will need to be in the car and able to take calls, etc

You own the ultimate drivers car and given the opportunity to drive it a lot, you would rather not? 

Maybe consider a BMW 5 series as the "other" ultimate driver's car?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/22 12:41 p.m.

Porsche guy huh....  Panamera 4 or 4S?  Probably worth driving one.  After seeing a Cayenne GTS at rallycross, I've wondered how these would do on dirt.  Porsche has amazing stability and traction control in their AWD cars.

Dan Wink
6/13/22 12:43 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Correct.  Pull a few 6 hour days in my Cayman on the highway in the winter and let me know what you think!  Driver's car does not equal mobile office. That's why nobody has recommended miata yet.

Dan Wink
6/13/22 12:49 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Hi- sort of... Currently I have the Cayman and an F-type convertible.  Long history of BMW, Miata, Mazda also.  I grew up in honda and toyota in the late 80's

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/13/22 1:21 p.m.

I had a much more strict budget than you (sub 10k) and picked up a '12 Passat TDI for my 100 mile commute. In my eyes, it was the right tool for the job and has been extremely good to me. If I had your budget, I'd most likely be looking at an Audi A6 TDI if I were feeling responsible. The 3.0 v6 TDI is a fantastic engine. If I were feeling less responsible, probably a B8.5 S4. I'm a VW/Audi guy though 

Dan Wink
6/13/22 1:28 p.m.
Turbine said:

I had a much more strict budget than you (sub 10k) and picked up a '12 Passat TDI for my 100 mile commute. In my eyes, it was the right tool for the job and has been extremely good to me. If I had your budget, I'd most likely be looking at an Audi A6 TDI if I were feeling responsible. The 3.0 v6 TDI is a fantastic engine. If I were feeling less responsible, probably a B8.5 S4. I'm a VW/Audi guy though 

Truly the A8 is where my heart goes and the LS is where my logical mind goes. I hear horror stories about A8 'issues' and the twin turbo V8 is terrifying (although the recall and extended warranty help).  A unicorn A8 TDI (or A6 TDI) is very appealing.  My research does say the TDI drivetrain appears to be pretty bulletproof- sounds like you agree?  BTW- I forgot to mention, I have had 5 GTI's and a Jetta TDI in the past, loved all of them.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
6/13/22 1:43 p.m.

For that kind of mileage, does a Model 3 AWD pencil out better than the gassers?

Dan Wink
6/13/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to chaparral :

Probably, but I don't want to deal with the supercharger thing and adding the home charger, etc just yet.  I think 5 years from now- yes for sure.  At this point, 30 minute stops for juice would be an irritant.  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/13/22 2:29 p.m.
Dan Wink said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Correct.  Pull a few 6 hour days in my Cayman on the highway in the winter and let me know what you think!  Driver's car does not equal mobile office. That's why nobody has recommended miata yet.

Funny you mentionMiata, it was my Go-to long distance hauler and how I got the NOHOME moniker. I bought one when they came out and used it almost exclusively to tour North America. Lot of 24hour plus drives added up to over 200k miles. Currently drive an FRS and it has been relegated to distance driving only and a Nissan Versa works fine in city. 

But if you say mobile office  where you hae the computer open on the dash and plan to haul a wardrobe that needs to look presentable,  or maybe transport clients/coworkers then I agree. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/22 2:53 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Lexus CT200h? I've never driven one but imagine they're great, if not extremely engaging, places to spend time.  

Great city car but underpowered, cramped, and buzzy on the highway. I drove one when I was replacing my Fit and I was not impressed with its refinement or highway manners. Strangely, a top-spec Prius is a better car in almost every way.

Javelin
6/13/22 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Dan Wink :

A8 TDI should be your #1 and A8 with the 3.0T (which is actually the supercharged 3.0 V6 S4 motor) should be your #2. The twin turbo motor with the issues is the 4.0 V8 S6 motor (which was just the oil drains, which have been recalled).

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/22 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

When running well it's a great motor though.  I used to follow Ignitiontube that has one.  Seeing his old SQ5 videos got me to get a 3.0t Q5 a few years back.  Kinda wish I still had it but my car ADHD takes over. 

Javelin
6/13/22 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

We follow Eli's builds as well. Have you seen his B9 SQ5? We have a B9 Q5 e-tron (plug-in hybrid 2.0T with 360HP) that is more powerful and faster than the SQ5, and is averaging 38 mpg. If you like the Q's, you should definitely check one out. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0pQMTpNsot6qe110Z8D1h2eJ4dahwND9ylYadksMYxIj7Rc1hj9sG6S01NbR2lQm