e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
10/17/19 11:53 a.m.

Hey everyone. My current ride (06 530xi 6sp sport package) is going back to my family that I'm mooching from currently. 

Totally undecided as to what direction to go for. Ultimately I want something small and fun but the reality is different. Needs are to be able to carry 4 adults and their stuff comfortably. Ability to haul kayaks and bikes and related gear. Still be relatively fun to drive and be relatively good on gas. Budget-wise I'm looking to stay around the $20k mark or under. I don't have a super long commute right now but that may change in the future. 

Wild card here is the ability to tow. Might need something that can haul a side by side on a trailer.

Have a shortlist of some I've driven but very open to ideas/suggestions.

So far I've driven or am considering the following:

-Subaru Outback

-Volvo V60/XC70

-Canyon/Colorado

-Frontier

-Grand Cherokee

-Regal TourX

-Golf Alltrack 

I've also checked out a newer Mazda6 for kicks and was pretty impressed with it for what it was. I know a few of the above options can't tow much if anything but I've been all over the place and can't decide. Coming to the wealth of knowledge of this board for some insight!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/17/19 12:09 p.m.
e23inGB said:

-Volvo V60/XC70

-Regal TourX

Those are my picks out of that list, with a nod to the Golf Alltrack too if you find a solid low miles one in that price range.  They're all good looking, comfortable cars with a bit of fun factor.

I'm not an SUV fan, but some of the mildly-lifted wagons are decent drives.  What's the combo weight on the SBS / trailer?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/17/19 12:50 p.m.

Can you get a diesel Canyon/Colorado under 20k? Gas ones don't get great MPG. ~20avg. Newer Outbacks with the 2.5L get high 20s avg which is kinda great for what's realistically a full size station wagon. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/17/19 1:03 p.m.

Don't the Mazda(fill in the blank) SUV's still have that sporty handling factor baked in?

e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
10/17/19 1:09 p.m.
Duke said:
e23inGB said:

-Volvo V60/XC70

-Regal TourX

Those are my picks out of that list, with a nod to the Golf Alltrack too if you find a solid low miles one in that price range.  They're all good looking, comfortable cars with a bit of fun factor.

I'm not an SUV fan, but some of the mildly-lifted wagons are decent drives.  What's the combo weight on the SBS / trailer?

I'm not an SUV fan either and as I'm finding out there's not much out there in the wagon, lifted wagon world. I think the weight on the combo would be around 2200lbs or so.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/17/19 1:42 p.m.

In reply to e23inGB :

My 2019 V60 is only rated for 1650 lbs towing, but the 2019 XC60 jumps to 3500.  Oddly enough, the previous generation 2015-ish V60 is rated for 3300 lbs.  You should be able to find one of those in your price range and they are very nice cars.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/17/19 1:47 p.m.
Vigo said:

Can you get a diesel Canyon/Colorado under 20k? Gas ones don't get great MPG. ~20avg. Newer Outbacks with the 2.5L get high 20s avg which is kinda great for what's realistically a full size station wagon. 

I wonder if you took a 4 cylinder Outback, put 4 people, their stuff, and a kayak or two on top..................would it even be able to reach highway speeds? The new turbo would be different, but those aren't $20k.

e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
10/17/19 2:25 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Haha it would be a battle I bet. I drove a 3.6R last night. Still seemed like it was trying a lot to move that car around. Could've just been my lack of experience with CVT cars but it was nice otherwise. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
10/17/19 2:27 p.m.

Have traveled in a newer 18+ Outback with 4 people, 2 dogs in back, and cargo box with no issue accelerating to speed.  Granted thats without a kayak on top or trailer in tow.   

We had an '11 2.5L outback that towed a jetski trailer with a standup ski and sitdown 2 seater no problem (probably about 1500-1700 lbs), but it was quickly approaching its limits.  It did get excellent gas mileage, but we traded to an Xterra and we're much happier with towing capability.  The ride quality and MPG are far superior in the outback (or any unibody car based wagon compared to a body on frame truck), so you have to weigh your options.

A used H6 Outback might fit the bill nicely, if you can find one.  Strongly considering moving back to that if we keep putting the same hwy miles on in the Xterra, it's just not a nice place to be for 6+ hour drives.

e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
10/17/19 4:02 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Definitely hear you there. Spent my share of time in a 08 Xterra so I can relate. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/18/19 2:24 p.m.

CVTs might feel weird but a 175hp engine with a CVT is probably more like a 210 hp engine  shifting through gears. Just go to peak power and sit there. The big downside of most CVTs is that their lowest ratio isn't low enough to make a small engine feel powerful from a stop unless you move the whole range down with your differential gearing and then don't have a top ratio good enough for fuel economy. That's why most manufacturers have gone away from them and some have even hooked CVTs to 2spd gearboxes to broaden their ratio spread.  And, a 3.6R does 0-60 in 6-something seconds, so I would say it will probably stop feeling weird when you push the pedal harder.  Not pushing the Outback angle too hard but I dont actually think power is a knock against them unless you're comparing how the power 'feels'.  A diesel Colorado would 'feel' better at part throttle and still get dusted by a 2.5L Outback with 4 people in it once you actually floor it. 

e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
10/18/19 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

You make a good point. It was hard to knock the Outback as it was a nice place to drive. Not the most fun compared to my current 5 series but definitely the best largest car I've driven that's not an SUV. Didn't compare to the V60 I drove but also felt twice the size of the Volvo.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IbQifHMTJbpkaHscoCkkTHsRPBlcLTcSYW0JLLnFYYNHfqwZ3udlWlWjcKHCvmr1