10/6/22 2:51 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I hope its magically a Veloster with 4 doors

Don't they all come that way? laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/6/22 3:27 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

If it's an i20N I am driving down tonight.

EDIT: not joking. not even a little bit.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/6/22 3:47 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

To be fair your original post "raining on the parade" uses anecdotal evidence to up-play the problem with the manufacturer.

I would be interested in seeing hard data on the engine failures.  What specific engine did you have?  Everything I have read is specific to the 2.4 or earlier 2.0T (i.e. not Veloster/N cars).  It seems E36 M3ty and they made some bad motors, but they are certainly not the first big name manufacturer to do that.  I wonder how they handled it compares to the others.

What I meant by that is I see almost daily reminders of why I don't trust them. The data speaks for itself, and it's very easy to find. As far as the dealer experience, it's generally rated as one of the worst by the same JD Power, and recently they showed their hand again getting caught illegally mis-reporting credit info about their customers damaging their credit scores. Something they continued to do, even when they knew what they were doing. I believe that one was a $20m fine.

I raced them and was actually sponsored at one point, and I liked my Forte, but I don't trust them as a company. And when people have asked, I've told them that, and said I could not recommend buying one.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/6/22 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

You have to remember that 22 years ago Hyundai and Kia dealers were selling cars that were right above the level of a BHPH used car lot. They were focusing on a clientele that couldn't afford one of the "name brands" and many did their own onsite financing with some terrible rates and conditions. Places run like that don't change quickly and the manufacturer is in a sticky place to not run the individual stores but they want and need to move their product. There are a lot of shady dealers out there for ALL brands. 

As for the warranty work, it sucks. The manufacturers require that things are done to a specific "T" at the dealership or they won't reimburse them. I had Honda ask for the paper t-stat gasket for an RL head gasket job. The one that is literally scraped off the head. That was the part they had us return to pay a $2200 repair. Customer was already gone with their car but we weren't paid yet. I found a way around that and we never had a warranty claim denied while I was there because of it. But many don't have people with my experience or willingness to do it right that they can count on so they just won't bother doing it to start with. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
10/6/22 8:53 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:
David S. Wallens said:

Hyundai and Kia have come so, so far in the last 10 or 15 years. And then add in the warranty. 

From J.D. Power for 2022:

Wow. What happened to Honda/Acura?

Much of the J.D. Power complaints today revolve around infotainment so if you have janky, hard-to-use or malfunctiony infotainment you're going to take a big hit in their ratings. So not necessarily things we think about as heavy secondary market users since by the time the cars get to us it's been fixed with an update or upgrade component. I mean, I've only had one car with infotainment and it's super basic like an XM Radio receiver from 2006 -- no touchscreen even.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/7/22 8:45 a.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Honda's had problems with their infotainment crap for 20 years now. None of it was ever "fixed" because thats not how honda works. Remember their transmission and TC problems in the mid 2000's? Honda engineer told us when out diagnosing an odd ball issue that Honda knew what the problem was, but they weren't going to change the tooling and design because they were invested in it. It would be corrected on the next major redesign. When the 07 MDX came out the trans problems were mostly resolved. Then it was TC problems....

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
10/7/22 10:08 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to GCrites80s :

Honda's had problems with their infotainment crap for 20 years now. None of it was ever "fixed" because thats not how honda works. Remember their transmission and TC problems in the mid 2000's? Honda engineer told us when out diagnosing an odd ball issue that Honda knew what the problem was, but they weren't going to change the tooling and design because they were invested in it. It would be corrected on the next major redesign. When the 07 MDX came out the trans problems were mostly resolved. Then it was TC problems....

The lesson here is to always buy your Hondas with 3 pedals for best results. I briefly considered a 1st gen Ridgeline for towing duties, but I had doubts about the transmission being up to the task and bought a Frontier instead.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/22 1:51 p.m.

Here's more proof that Hyundai is serious about motorsport. Check out the code map for the Elantra N, plenty of attention given to cooling the front brakes for example. A lot of other companies slap a Brembo kit on the car and call it a day. Hyundai engineered a comprehensive braking system using their own parts bin, with attention to pad material, cooling, rotor size and more. The car works right out of the box, showing no fade on track, even after repeated sessions. For comparison, the BRz/GR86 twins last about 2 laps before their brakes are shot, and they weigh like 1/2 as much.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/22 6:58 p.m.
dannyp84 said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to GCrites80s :

The lesson here is to always buy your Hondas with 3 pedals for best results. I briefly considered a 1st gen Ridgeline for towing duties, but I had doubts about the transmission being up to the task and bought a Frontier instead.

The later autos in the large SUVs are stout.  The earlier ones are the ones with issues, apparently Honda used a thrust washer where a bearing would have been more prudent and it would chew up the transmission case.  They fixed that error.

I see them all the time with 200-300k and no issues aside from the semi rare oil pressure switch failure.  Honda uses pressure switches to verify that a solenoid engaged, the switches fail.  Did two in the last three years.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/7/22 7:07 p.m.

This thread needs more TCR pics

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/22 7:24 p.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Didn't do your research. All Ridgelines had the upgraded transmission. Where Honda screwed up was in not bolting it to their other offerings. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/7/22 9:40 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

That was one of their screw ups. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/8/22 3:43 a.m.

I want a street version with those flares devil

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners