1 2
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
1/15/09 1:22 a.m.

Some guys on the West Coast trying to get a little respect for those of you with Datsun Zs & 510s, early Celicas & Corollas, RX-2,3,4,Cosmo, etc.

"Japanese Nostalgic Cars". Not "classic" (according to the authors, because the word "nostalgic" is used in Japan ).

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/index.cgi

Healthy message board, nice features (a hilarious road trip to the Monterey Historics 07 in an 86 Cressida wagon for the Toyota 2000GT reunion-sounds like something one of us would do!), and they're actually trying to produce a magazine. Four issues a year? Sounds like the little autocross magazine I discovered 25yrs ago.

I may be a VW guy, but I've owned a 76 Datsun B210 and 83 Honda Prelude along the way. I stumbled across this site while drinking beer and researching barn finds. Got me so stoked I actually scanned craigslist for Mk.2 Supras!

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/15/09 1:51 a.m.

Yup...I subscribed to the mag before it came out and have been pleased with both of the first two issues.

It is the only other car mag I subscribe to these days other than GRM.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
1/15/09 6:33 a.m.

Hmmm......

That could be interesting. Do they sell the magazine at BAM or B&N? I don't remember seeing it last time I was through.

$14.95 for 4 issues seems high.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
1/15/09 6:34 a.m.

I'm a JNC subscriber and a web board member too. Very nice work by these guys although I suspect they underestimated how difficult it would be to get a quality magazine off the ground. If Tim and Margie where (more) masochistic I'd suggest they buy this magazine out and add it to their stable since it's something most of us are interested in and it would allow Classic to go more European with the content.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/09 7:59 a.m.

I'm a charter subscriber as well. The first two issues were excellent. The first one had the most complete rotary history I've ever read in a magazine. I see a lot of GRM-like writing and enthusiasm in this new title. I subscribe to a billion magazines but this one, Hemming's Muscle Machines, and GRM are the only ones I actually keep every issue of.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/15/09 8:05 a.m.

I wonder if my Swift's would be classified as "nostalgic"?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/15/09 8:14 a.m.

Neat...thanks for the heads-up!

Clem

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/15/09 8:42 a.m.

When I was in High School in the late 70's, there was a kid in my class that had what had to be a mid 70's Corolla. It had fender flares, wide tires, an air dam, a wing of some sort and a blow through turbo. We all thought he was nuts. He was 15 years ahead of his time.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/15/09 11:05 a.m.

(not being a jerk)

I've been referring to this site here for well over a year.

I was addicted to it a year ago and felt the need to share the wealth.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/09 12:32 p.m.

I think it was gamby's thread that got me to go look and then subscribe. I know I heard about JNC here on GRM first.

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
1/15/09 1:03 p.m.

Subscriber as well. I found the board a while ago while looking for Crown stuff. I peep the board every now and again. I'm responsible for 2 or 3 other subscriptions and a buddy of mine bought me a sticker as a thank you. It's on my tool chest. Now if I could finish up some other projects and start on my Crown...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
1/15/09 1:21 p.m.

I am also a member over there,and I love the magazine. I received a free copy of the issue with the rotary history in it,and now I plan on subscribing.

It turns out that the car I just bought is going to be featured in an upcoming issue which is pretty cool.

The message board at times can be slow,but it is worth it in my opinion,because you get to see,and hear about Japanese cars from all over the world.

Between the JNC,and GRM that is where I waste most of my computer time.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
1/15/09 2:38 p.m.

I'm a member of the forum too but I haven't been there in a while since my Starlet got rearended and I got rid of it. I will be looking for another "nostalgic" car in the near future.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
1/15/09 4:13 p.m.

Another charter subscriber here. I have been pretty impressed with the first 2 issues.

jezeus
jezeus Reader
1/15/09 5:16 p.m.

I'm very surprised in how far that website has come in such a short time. definitely shows they are filling a need. They sent me a free Mazda RX3 penny racer for being one of the first people to post in the Mazda forum.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/15/09 5:17 p.m.

I wonder if that crowd could have seen the beauty of my '88 Accord

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/15/09 5:34 p.m.
HeavyDuty wrote: Subscriber as well. I found the board a while ago while looking for Crown stuff. I peep the board every now and again. I'm responsible for 2 or 3 other subscriptions and a buddy of mine bought me a sticker as a thank you. It's on my tool chest. Now if I could finish up some other projects and start on my Crown...

You could say I'm a fan of Kujira Crowns

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
1/15/09 6:31 p.m.

It won't be too long before my FC is considered "nostalgic." I love old-school Japanese cars though I rarely see them (ahh, the joys of living in the Snow Belt). You might have just got yourselves another subscriber.

Luke
Luke Dork
1/15/09 6:36 p.m.

+1 again for an excellent website and magazine. I started lurking there quite some time ago, probably after Gamby's recommendation.

ArtOfRuin, I'd say the FC is definitely already "nostalgic."

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
1/15/09 6:53 p.m.

In reply to ArtOfRuin:

What do you mean ArtOfRuin? You came over my house,and saw three pieces of Japanese Nostalgic history,and only a mere hour or so from where you live. I agree though it is a bit disappointing not seeing old school Japanese cars. You should come out to Japanese Car/Motorcycle Day this year at the Larz Anderson. It is on Sunday August 16th this year,and I hope we see some more old school cars like in years past unlike lasy year which saw almost no old school stuff(aside from my few old Mazdas,and some old bikes).

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
1/15/09 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

I said "rarely," not "never." Trust me, seeing your REPU, FB, and 510 was a rare treat for me!

amaff
amaff HalfDork
1/15/09 7:04 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: "Japanese Nostalgic Cars". Not "classic" (according to the authors, because the word "nostalgic" is used in Japan ).

So what you're saying is that nostalgia is JDM? lol

evildky
evildky Dork
1/15/09 7:33 p.m.

I subscribed forever ago, and just when I was about to file a complaint with paypal I got issue number 2, it's decent, but it sure ain't flying off the press

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/15/09 8:10 p.m.
evildky wrote: I subscribed forever ago, and just when I was about to file a complaint with paypal I got issue number 2, it's decent, but it sure ain't flying off the press

Pretty sure it's only 4 issues a year.

I subscribed knowing this. Since it's basically 2 brothers putting the thing out, I'd say they're doing a helluva job.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
1/15/09 11:06 p.m.
gamby wrote: (not being a jerk) I've been referring to this site here for well over a year. I was addicted to it a year ago and felt the need to share the wealth.

Cool! I don't own any right now, but might subscribe anyway just to help them out a lil' bit. I really loved my 2nd gen Prelude. There's an SI on cragislist here for $600, but it's a slushbox without a clear title...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bpO8pe7a4tg1y0McqmDacVTRWOonhVPpue22ild1OdSvsX9KsOHuw9OxZCnZXme7