1 2 3 4
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/26/11 10:18 a.m.
mtn wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Has anyone here owned more than one of the following? NA/NB Miata MR-S BMW Z3 (6-cylinder only) If so, thoughts? Maintaining, gas mileage, handling, comfort, quality, etc etc etc. Don't REALLY care about autox/trackday performance. Bonus points if one of you guys with the MR-S did the Celica GTS/6spd swap.
No, I haven't, so I'm going to answer your question like I'm an expert! I'm assuming you know all about the Miata's just from being on this board for years. But easy to maintain, I'm averaging 28 MPG over 560 miles, 200 of that highway, with 1 autocross in there, wonderful handling, quality, not so comfortable getting in and out of, seats leave something to be desired. I have nothing but good things to say about the Z3, but the only one I've driven was in an autocross and was fully prepped for STR. No knowledge beyond that. The reason I never looked at MRS's (well, I did for a second) was that you can't bring anything with you. You say you want enough stuff for 2 people packing lightly.... You are going to be cutting it *really* close. I'd do a test-fit with your luggage first thing when looking at those cars. I'm sure it can be done, but it will probably take some creative packaging. One other thought: E30 'vert, like the one in my avatar. Comfy, I've averaged 32 MPG before (1.8 four cylinder), my average average MPG is 27, and can be made to handle really well with a decent alignment and maybe some shocks/springs.

I think the E30 is out of the running at this point. I'm kindof set on 2-seater verts, and a bit more modern than that, purely for reliability and less chance of having to do a full ground-up resto to get the car where i want it to be.

The luggage space in the MR-S does have me worried. I'm going to try to find one to test drive and bring suitcases.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/26/11 10:23 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: bring suitcases.

Wrong. No suitcases. Duffle bags are what you want. This is true in a Miata (I DD one and moved into/out of my apartments with it this past month), it has to be doubly true in a Mr. 2.

92CelicaHalfTrac
6/2/11 10:59 p.m.

Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor?

Are these worth a damn? Seems that i should be able to find one within budget, and with manual transmission. Have a decent-sized trunk.

Are they reliable at all? I know they're heavier than the Miata or the MR-S...

Any aftermarket for them? Mainly suspension and cosmetic, not real worried about power, seems to have about the same acceleration as the Miata or MR-S.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
6/3/11 8:22 a.m.

Suprised no one has mentioned the 2nd gen MR2. The NA version fits in the first price cap, the 2nd price cap would include the turbo varitey. With T-Tops they are almost like a vert.

I've owned both sets, and for cross country sports car travel, they are hard to beat. I've done 15 hours plus a day in my old turbo version, and it's like driving your favorite Lazy Boy. Very comfortable, great seats, 27 to 28 mpg, and tons of power. Luggage space is much better than a Z3, Miata or a MRS.

I once got over 40mpg driving home from an event tucked behind our race hauler. If you cut out wind resistance, it's amazing how much your mileage improves!

Anyway, both versions are fun to drive, and cheap for the performance potential. Finding an unmolested one can be tough though.

92CelicaHalfTrac
6/3/11 8:31 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Suprised no one has mentioned the 2nd gen MR2. The NA version fits in the first price cap, the 2nd price cap would include the turbo varitey. With T-Tops they are almost like a vert. I've owned both sets, and for cross country sports car travel, they are hard to beat. I've done 15 hours plus a day in my old turbo version, and it's like driving your favorite Lazy Boy. Very comfortable, great seats, 27 to 28 mpg, and tons of power. Luggage space is much better than a Z3, Miata or a MRS. I once got over 40mpg driving home from an event tucked behind our race hauler. If you cut out wind resistance, it's amazing how much your mileage improves! Anyway, both versions are fun to drive, and cheap for the performance potential. Finding an unmolested one can be tough though.

I've seen decent turbos go for $3500 or under around here. Either or fits the price cap.

They aren't what i'm looking for, though, aren't a true convertible. Plus, i woudln't buy an NA one, i'd have to get the 3sgte, which would make my Celica completely redundant and moronic. The idea is to get something completely different, not something that makes one of my other cars stupid to keep around.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fAyxGwVUAnlvIZsy1mh2Botkd17vAPiPvb8HHG3ryVNE3dINt4LqxZQIFjQWBRwa