1 ... 22 23 24
nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/19/22 11:47 p.m.

It's a little thing, but I just bought a set of these Long Reach Hose Grip Pliers for a purpose for which they were not intended (pulling hard-to-reach sensors from between the head and firewall on my 924s), and they worked great. Now finding a bunch of other unintended uses for them.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/21/22 10:28 a.m.

In reply to nlevine :

Oooh, I'll have to get a set of those. 

pmallory
pmallory New Reader
11/22/22 1:33 a.m.

Fail: 3/8 in. Drive 17 in. Breaker Bar

I woulda thought a breaker bar could handle a 160 lb person leaning into it, but no.

In related news, the Ryobi impact wrench + battery kit is on sale at the orange box store.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/22/22 6:33 a.m.

In reply to pmallory :

At least HF is good about replacing broken tools.

I have the half-inch version of that and it has worked fine for many years.  

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
11/22/22 6:50 a.m.

In reply to pmallory :

That's surprising. I have the 1/2" breaker bar, and had my full 280lbs on it trying to get lugs off the excursion with no problem. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/17/22 7:37 p.m.

How do we feel about the Bauer 20v yard tools? (String Trimmer, Hedge Trimmer, Mini Chainsaw)

I've used the Bauer 20v angle grinder and trim nailer and they've been decent so far. Though I haven't put them through too too much yet. 

I also have DeWalt 20v tools already, so I could go that route, for like 3x the price...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/22 8:55 p.m.

Bauer 16" 120v electric chainsaw: fail

the chains are sharpened wrong the bars have too wide a rail for the chain or something because they cut curved to the right. Been running saws for 25 years and never had one even with a poorly hand sharpened chain and a worn bar cut so bad. 

returned and got their cheapest 6' loading ramps. Be careful because every surface will cut you. Going to hit them in the spring with a flap wheel and bedliner so they stop slicing my hands and gloves

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/22 9:12 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

Ball joint separator gets a big pass in my book.  I broke a cheap pickle fork and invented some new swear words changing lower control arms on my yukon.  I had to give up and got this guy from the hammer store to finish the job.  I had to grind the opening a little wider to fit around the large truck ball joints but works like a charm.

Hmmmm...I was just getting ready to give that a fail.  Mine required a bunch of grinder work to go around the lower control arm ball joint on a C5 Corvette.  I mean it's not like I'm trying to work on a Cat.  Had to grind the back side of the pivoting arm a bit too for a few extra mm of opening.  I don't know the specs on the particular ball joint in question but being GM it's got to be fairly common.  Maybe I was just trying to use the wrong tool but I saw several YouTubers using that exact one - but mine was just a tad too small without surgery.   And yes I had the pin in the right hole

Edit: perhaps I should read your post next time before commenting.  I see now that you had to grind yours too.  :-)

wae
wae PowerDork
12/31/22 7:20 a.m.

Warrior 4v Cordless Power Cutter

Charges via a USB cable (micro or mini - I can't remember what they call it, but the one before USB-C) and just slices through cardboard like it's nothing.  Apparently it can cut through a fairly extenive list of stuff and I look forward to trying it on anything I can get my hands on.  Even if all it can do is cut down cardboard boxes, it's a complete pass.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/22 12:20 p.m.
Shadeux said:

I just bought the $100 440lb. electric hoist and the $30 brad and staple nail gun. Both work great.

18 Gauge 2-in-1 Air Nailer/Stapler 68019 alternate photo #1

440 lb. Electric Hoist with Remote Control 60346 alternate photo #1

I installed an attic stair and built a 2x3x4 box for sending and retrieving crap from the attic.

IVE BEEN WONDERING WHERE I SAW THAT SOMEONE DID THIS!! I'm going to rig up something like this for the church building before it's time to redecorate for spring. The rickety folding attic ladder we have makes yours look like it was built to cross the Rhine in a tank. 

1 ... 22 23 24
Our Preferred Partners
sZIlW5VQVtgO0e8AOWDUjUOgFjnznAuX9A6ynK13Hq2mIrYKmUyFFAOqo9bdVbZ3