Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/7/12 8:34 a.m.

...just day-dreaming...

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/maserati/merak/1410453.html

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 8:40 a.m.

If it will fit, width wise, I vote a VQ35 from a 6 spd altima/ maxima. Huge aftermarket, tons of reliable power (a reliable Merak, ha). If size is an issue. 3.9l/6 spd from a g6 gtp. Much bigger aftermarket than you would think, 300 bhp is doable.

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/7/12 8:42 a.m.

Didn't know that was a N-S orientation.

Assuming that an adaptor can be found, a good Alfa V6 would be appropriate. Probably just as powerful (if not more so) and probably more reliable.

I suspect that a number of good, modern v6's would be a good choice.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/7/12 8:54 a.m.

Well, if we are day dreaming, LS6 with one of those expensive transaxle.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/12 8:55 a.m.

I'd be concerned about the brake and suspension systems on that car. Don't they share a lot of stuff with the Citreon SM?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/12 9:08 a.m.

Oh god I love the Merak.

The Biturbo engine is based on the Merak's SM engine - but they are very dissimilar. Coincidentally the Biturbo engine came to be because an engineer slapped a turbo on a Merak and came flying into the facility and de Tomaso said "who the hell told you that you could do that" or something to that effect. He loved the turbo'd engine though.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/12 9:08 a.m.

you mean the entire pre-pressurised brake system? I believe they do. If you are going to swap an engine and trans though.. it would probably be easy to rip out the stock system and plumb in a regular MC and disc brake system from wilwood or brembo

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
5/7/12 9:12 a.m.

They have the citroen high pressure brakes up to 1976 - in 77 they went conventional - headlights are hydraulic and maybe a few other accessories. Citroen transmission too for 73. For an added bonus - they rust pretty well.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/12 9:12 a.m.

The accessories are driven off the backside of the engine, via a jackshaft that goes over the transaxle.

That's the same engine in a SM.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 9:21 a.m.

So this one has terrible brakes and a crappy transmission. Awesome. It looks pretty rusty as well. This thing is just begging for a super car restomod.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 10:02 a.m.

Damn it, now I wish I had like 5k to make a bid on this hunk of crap. It is soo pretty and could be so cool with some modern muscle.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/7/12 10:28 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Damn it, now I wish I had like 5k to make a bid on this hunk of crap. It is soo pretty and could be so cool with some modern muscle.

Same here... hence the thread... figured it would be good for a few minutes of distraction.

Personally, I lean towards a VAG B5 FWD 1.8t (N-S arrangment).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/7/12 10:49 a.m.

I like Alfadriver's idea of the Alfa V6. Then it would sound Italian.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/7/12 10:52 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I like Alfadriver's idea of the Alfa V6. Then it would sound Italian.

Lot's of flailing noises and then silence?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/12 11:04 a.m.

20B

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
5/7/12 11:11 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote:

And inboard brakes, because, you know, things weren't crowded enough back there.

"When the French and Italians get together to do cooking, the results are spectacular. Cars, though...hmmmm." -Clarkson, on the Merak

And do we even have to ask? LSx?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/12 11:16 a.m.

wow.. look where the timing chain is for the cams

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/7/12 11:36 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
singleslammer wrote: Damn it, now I wish I had like 5k to make a bid on this hunk of crap. It is soo pretty and could be so cool with some modern muscle.
Same here... hence the thread... figured it would be good for a few minutes of distraction. Personally, I lean towards a VAG B5 FWD 1.8t (N-S arrangment).

I had thought about a turbo I4, but I think it's too long. There's almost no space there for length. Even a powertrain swap would be a pain- the gearbox has the cluster behind the axle. Looking at the engine pictures, I'd guess that most V6's will be too long, too....

The more I look at this car, it's the worst of all worlds- you have a questionable italian engine with remote accesories, and questionable french trans and brakes. And so little space that you can't put anything as a subsitute there- too short for a V8 or I4, even more too short for a Hewland or sort, WAY WAY WAY to narrow for anything EW.

Seems like the worst nightmare one can think of.

I think the Ferrari would be better- so many choices that make decent power already turned e-w. (and next week, wheeler-dealer is doing a GT4, which appears to be a major nightmare for them)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/7/12 11:37 a.m.

Dang, I'd forgotten how pretty Meraks are.

Hmmm... not a lot of north/south FWD V6 setups to choose from, unfortunately. One that comes to mind is the Acura Legend but it's done sorta weird. So I think I'd vote Porsche 915 box with a DOHC VG motor (VG30DETT) or similar. A V8 would just be too heavy. And I like the idea of a 13B turbo in there, too.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 11:38 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I like Alfadriver's idea of the Alfa V6. Then it would sound Italian.
Lot's of flailing noises and then silence?

Ha!

I like the Vag idea but with a VR6. A four cylinder in this body would be just wrong. With that said, I think a v8 with a multiplane crank would also sound wrong, IE no LSX. I stand by my VQ35 idea. Hell, then just get a company that makes tuned exhaust for the NSX to make you some pipes and you have some Italian sounding E36 M3.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/7/12 11:50 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: And I like the idea of a 13B turbo in there, too.

Hmm... 13B turbo in front of a VAG N-S FWD trans...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/7/12 11:52 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: And I like the idea of a 13B turbo in there, too.
Hmm... 13B turbo in front of a VAG N-S FWD trans...

Pretty much what I was thinkin', too. 8000-ish RPM redline with a little boostification whistle...

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
5/7/12 12:00 p.m.

I'd probably put the Maserati engine back together, but I'm a bit of a masochist.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/12 12:25 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: I think the Ferrari would be better- so many choices that make decent power already turned e-w. (and next week, wheeler-dealer is doing a GT4, which appears to be a major nightmare for them)

Didn't they already do one of those?

pres589
pres589 Dork
5/7/12 12:40 p.m.

What about a Porsche 911 engine/trans flipped around? Or something similar?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TvUM0nsr7VEO74DQwuHhhEMC8f49PeXaHbV09xiV1b6gtvch9qeOUAgy3MplWDp2