1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/7/12 12:42 p.m.
Woody wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I think the Ferrari would be better- so many choices that make decent power already turned e-w. (and next week, wheeler-dealer is doing a GT4, which appears to be a major nightmare for them)
Didn't they already do one of those?

Apparently, a while ago, but it's finally showing up on Velocity Wednesday. I've not seen it, yet.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 12:51 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

I doubt it would fit. Too wide.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/7/12 1:06 p.m.
pres589 wrote: What about a Porsche 911 engine/trans flipped around? Or something similar?

I suppose a Porsche Boxster drivetrain might work.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/12 1:08 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Woody wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I think the Ferrari would be better- so many choices that make decent power already turned e-w. (and next week, wheeler-dealer is doing a GT4, which appears to be a major nightmare for them)
Didn't they already do one of those?
Apparently, a while ago, but it's finally showing up on Velocity Wednesday. I've not seen it, yet.

I think I watched it a year ago on youtube.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/12 1:09 p.m.
ArthurDent wrote:
pres589 wrote: What about a Porsche 911 engine/trans flipped around? Or something similar?
I suppose a Porsche Boxster drivetrain might work.

That would get needlessly complicated, even in the context of this ridiculous mental exercise.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/12 1:11 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: And so little space that you can't put anything as a subsitute there- too short for a V8 or I4, even more too short for a Hewland or sort, WAY WAY WAY to narrow for anything EW.

While I agree on the lack of depth - I think it is wider than you believe. The Maserati V6 is a DOHC 90* V. I bet that bay is plenty wide.

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/7/12 1:40 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
alfadriver wrote: And so little space that you can't put anything as a subsitute there- too short for a V8 or I4, even more too short for a Hewland or sort, WAY WAY WAY to narrow for anything EW.
While I agree on the lack of depth - I think it is wider than you believe. The Maserati V6 is a DOHC 90* V. I bet that bay is plenty wide.

I don't think you can fit an engine and trans inbetween the frame rails. they are right at the brake calipers....

Of course, one can cut and weld....

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
5/7/12 1:50 p.m.

Hmmm....Subaru with the rear out put disconnected? Might be the easiest...Maybe.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 2:04 p.m.

Here is a nice one, wonder what they want for it. Or more importantly, what they are willing to take for it.

http://www.europeanmotorsports.co/vehicle/3405584/1974-maserati-merak-lawrence-massachusetts-01843

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
5/7/12 2:11 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Here is a nice one, wonder what they want for it. Or more importantly, what they are willing to take for it. http://www.europeanmotorsports.co/vehicle/3405584/1974-maserati-merak-lawrence-massachusetts-01843

That is beautiful......

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 2:47 p.m.

I know right. These things seem to be capable of being had in the teens for a decent runner. I am thinking sexy DD. As things break, throw them away and upgrade. Eventually you will have the body with a new car made of normal parts underneath.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
5/7/12 3:12 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Hmmm... not a lot of north/south FWD V6 setups to choose from, unfortunately.

Chrysler LH platform? Dirt cheap and quite a few options. Perfect use for a crashed 300M Special (3.5L 255 hp)?

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/7/12 3:59 p.m.

Thats nice but isn't it only Auto. That is a no go.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
5/7/12 4:10 p.m.

Audi? I seem to think I saw an Audi V6 and trans oriented that way. Could be wrong though. I know nothing for Audi. It was on a pallet in the shop where I work on my car.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/12 4:12 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Audi? I seem to think I saw an Audi V6 and trans oriented that way. Could be wrong though. I know nothing for Audi. It was on a pallet in the shop where I work on my car.

Yup. Audi uses a longitudinally mounted 90* V6

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/12 4:22 p.m.

How about the Acura Legend V6?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/12 4:49 p.m.

Mazda KL-ZE, on ITBs, with a custom exhaust? makes decent power (for a 2.5L NA V6 anyway), and in a N-S application with ITBs, makes some kind of an awesome demon song

warning: NSFW (eargasm contained within)

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
5/7/12 5:08 p.m.

+

=

Lots of options

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
5/7/12 5:11 p.m.

Wow, that Miata sounds awesome!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/7/12 5:11 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: + = Lots of options

You forgot

gcmerak
gcmerak New Reader
11/24/12 10:46 p.m.

Hello All,

I belong to a world wide group of Merak owners. Presently we number some 44 members and growing. I have owned my Merak for a little over 6 years.

I was drawn to your discussion because one of our members owns a Merak with a short block Chevrolet engine [IIRC] in Australia. If you all are interested in details, I'm sure he would not mind sharing that information with everyone.

Ciao, George

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/25/12 7:20 a.m.

In reply to gcmerak:

Of course we are interested! I think your friend would fit in well here. Please invite him over.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/25/12 8:44 a.m.

Ok, so the thread's been bumped... but how about a DOHC V6 from Fiat's newest acquisition? Put a Pentastar V6 in there. It's used in a few north-south layouts like Jeeps.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
11/25/12 1:00 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote:
m4ff3w wrote:
And inboard brakes, because, you know, things weren't crowded enough back there. "When the French and Italians get together to do cooking, the results are spectacular. Cars, though...hmmmm." -Clarkson, on the Merak And do we even have to ask? LSx?

Like there isn't enough heat back there already....

gcmerak
gcmerak New Reader
12/9/12 1:20 p.m.

Hello All,

I will pass the info. along and see how things play out. In the mean time some general Merak videos are available on the Merak Group Channel found on Youtube. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/merakgroup1

Ciao, George

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k6CZJp6LwP2rQhx1SSJq69DUg0iKykKkulW02QMQY7xSvI5q0MvR6WgyHm19Rail