lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/19/22 8:12 a.m.

Compressor fan runs for 10 seconds, slows down, and speeds back up again. Isn't cooling. Any chance this is a diy fix? Google doesn't seem to point to a single issue.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zY4m5RK-V5k?feature=share

wae
wae PowerDork
6/19/22 8:26 a.m.

My first guess would be the run capacitor.  They're like $20 from Amazon or $50 from the local supply house retail counter.

I would check the power going in to the compressor to see if it's being commanded to shut down as a first step.  If it is being told to turn on and stay on, then run cap or the motor would be my guess.

If the system is telling it to turn on and off, then maybe a refrigerant pressure switch or the thermostat?

Be careful with the voltage.  I'm not an expert but I've been keeping my system running for almost 20 years.  I've only called out to have the evap core replaced and the refrigerant topped off because I don't have the gear or the Puron to evacuate and fill.  I've had caps go out, thermostats fail, and even had to re-solder the control board once.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/19/22 8:53 a.m.

I'm dumb and put this not in off topic. Apologies for that. 

Went to check the voltage, and it's running fine now. I was convinced it wasn't capacitor, so i appreciate you saying it could be. I'll replace that and see if it stays fixed. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/20/22 9:23 a.m.

Moved it for you. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/20/22 3:03 p.m.
wae said:

My first guess would be the run capacitor.  They're like $20 from Amazon or $50 from the local supply house retail counter.

I would check the power going in to the compressor to see if it's being commanded to shut down as a first step.  If it is being told to turn on and stay on, then run cap or the motor would be my guess.

If the system is telling it to turn on and off, then maybe a refrigerant pressure switch or the thermostat?

Be careful with the voltage.  I'm not an expert but I've been keeping my system running for almost 20 years.  I've only called out to have the evap core replaced and the refrigerant topped off because I don't have the gear or the Puron to evacuate and fill.  I've had caps go out, thermostats fail, and even had to re-solder the control board once.

A dead give-away is if the capacitor is swelled up.  From the couple that I have seen that have failed, every one looked like a bloated pig.  Also, if memory serves, be careful around the capacitors leads, even with the breaker turned off (like we know you will do).  She can still knock you on your butt if it's holding any part of a full charge.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G85eFQh77NPRbP1Y7kCnPn9zYAhZgr29tvQVRy9HS0xe4cy7wghGoWv8ZUG19aPT