1 ... 14 15 16 17 18
icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
2/25/15 9:29 p.m.

I can't find much support on the diy boards for this engine, I've done ms before but not with something with lots of support

Titus
Titus New Reader
2/26/15 6:34 a.m.

There is a guy in New Zealand that posted a video of his home-built J swap Miata with a megasquirt3. I believe he was having trigger related problems and was considering changing out to hall effect trigger sensors, but it also sounded like he may dump the MS3 all together and try a DTA S100 on the advice of his tuner.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/26/15 1:29 p.m.

I was talking to the MT guys the other day about the Eco swap. I think they expect the majority of customers to be DIY as opposed to plug and play, and knowing their customer base, they're finding ways to trim both time and money from the install.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/26/15 1:43 p.m.
Rupert wrote: I'm confused! Why would anyone want to put a V anything motor in a Miata? You already have a sweet DOHC inline motor that has a ton of potential. Why don't you use that as the basis of your hot build? It's not like there aren't tons of alternatives out there. Cubic inches are great if you're pulling a huge tractor or semi rig or even a boat. My twin 502s were very handy on my 45' boat. But they are much less an advantage when propelling a 2,300 lbs. car Other than a V-12, there is no sweeter sounding or driving V-motor that I know of than a typical inline motor, OK an inline three isn't sweat, but that's not what we are talking about here. That's certainly not typical. And you can actually access and work on your inline motor without an engine removal or other serious cure to obtain access! Please don't even insult your Miata with yet another sbc, sbf, or even Honda installation! From the factory, the Miata motor with all it's potential is already better than those!

I'm late to this party (again), and also have to disagree. I managed to drive the Lincoln V6 Miata- that thing was really sweet. That was back when I was doing Challenges, and it made me think how nice a GTV6 engine into a Spider would be.

(so the easier button- find an LS V6 manual- if you want it to be more Mazda, find a 6 and swap the valve covers so that it says Mazda.. ok, I'm not sure if it's actually easier- but it's been done)

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/3/15 8:56 p.m.

oh man oh man oh man i think i'm in trouble.

I had been debating this between swap and a turbo. I had convinced myself that I was doing the turbo. In fact, I ordered a MS3 frp, braineack at miata turbo today. Just was waiting to transfer him the money on paypal. Then i get a call from my buddy. last summer my wife and I gave our 2004 honda oddyssee to a young couple in our church who didn't have a vehicle. Today he calls me. His wife was in a wreck, luckily nobody hurt, but the van is totalled. engine is still good and sitting in his buddies shop waiting to get pulled.

My main issues before were the cantilevered engien support off of the bellhousing adapter. I figured of all things I can handle it's coming up with more mounting points. Does anyone have a schematic or pics of the NA engine bay without the engine in it?

Now I have to go figure out the ECU. any good places to read about hacking the j series ECU? I'd love to run it on the stock ECU

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/3/15 8:58 p.m.

Also, could we link to build threads on other sites here? I don't know if that's kosher.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/3/15 10:24 p.m.

Yeah, I think that's fine. This is a pretty unique corner of the Internet, no danger of losing traffic.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/15 10:57 p.m.
Titus wrote: There is a guy in New Zealand that posted a video of his home-built J swap Miata with a megasquirt3.

Was that Fred?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/3/15 11:50 p.m.

Oh man if the Australia guy is on here and could answer mega squirt questions I'm home free

Titus
Titus New Reader
3/4/15 8:03 a.m.

The NZ guy with the MS3 has not posted much online in the way of text, but there is a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWfh_64bvVs and a ton of pictures here: http://s148.photobucket.com/user/joelhartley55/library/

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/4/15 8:08 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Titus wrote: There is a guy in New Zealand that posted a video of his home-built J swap Miata with a megasquirt3.
Was that Fred?

As in Fredio? No.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/4/15 9:36 a.m.

One build thread said that the two Bushings pictures gontonsupport the engine so it's not just on the adapter plate, Titus can you confirm that?

Titus
Titus New Reader
3/4/15 9:55 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: One build thread said that the two Bushings pictures gontonsupport the engine so it's not just on the adapter plate, Titus can you confirm that?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/4/15 9:59 a.m.

Dang never mind. Oh well it might be a part I can fab and offer to other swappers

Titus
Titus New Reader
3/4/15 10:32 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Dang never mind. Oh well it might be a part I can fab and offer to other swappers

I was thinking that it might be possible to do something like a triangular support that that mounts to the same bolts as the radiator hanger, and then connects at the top with a bushing to the existing mounting plate at the top front of the motor. I will look more at it once I have test fit the engine in the car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/15 10:40 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
Was that Fred?
As in Fredio? No.

This Fred: https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ

HondaTim
HondaTim New Reader
3/9/15 10:41 p.m.

Ok I am new to the forum but I have been building Honda/Acura V/6s for 14 years now for sand rails / street and drag cars, I think with a bit of time this kit will turn out to be a fun one for the money, I just bought a car so I can do one for myself, I have been building wire harnesses and using the stock ecu's for ever, I built the first mount kit for the Honda civic's and 914's, I have already done some Miata harnesses for the AEM for a track cars, and I just did one with a stock ecu, can't wait to build one and see how it works out ,,,

B. Choate
B. Choate GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/15 9:32 a.m.

In reply to HondaTim:

Hey Tim, do the stock ECUs require a reflash or demobilizer override?

Is it a business for you, or something you do on the side?

B. Choate
B. Choate GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/15 9:39 a.m.

I see this as a really nice Locost alternative to something like the Nissan VQ motors. A little down on power, but probably cheaper and less hassle.

HondaTim
HondaTim New Reader
3/10/15 11:09 a.m.

In reply to B. Choate: The stock ECU's can't be reflashed and yes you need to remove the moblizer and there are olny a few years that can be used , it is a business for me I was the first one to make these run outside of the car, and have been working with the guys a mini tech, should be a fun kit.

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
3/11/15 3:05 p.m.

Yes! We sure need a alternative, or at least an interim to the AEM.

HondaTim
HondaTim New Reader
3/11/15 5:06 p.m.

The stock ECU's run great 6500 rpm all day I have had them on the street for years I give then a obd2 plug and fake out the speed sensor so you can get vtec when ever you want.. I have run the crap out of these engines there fun ....

Titus
Titus New Reader
3/27/15 10:46 p.m.

As promised, I have started my build thread here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1992-mazda-miata-v6-swap-build-thread/100193/page1/

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
4/9/15 10:49 a.m.

Thread killer

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
4/9/15 12:02 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: I can't find much support on the diy boards for this engine, I've done ms before but not with something with lots of support

Use an MS3 with MS3X or an MS3-Pro and set the spark mode to "Honda - Acura"; this has the J series trigger wheel hard-coded in.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
09TAvYiztKUTeS3CSeZrgsn8uB4Gk5r6HAJUQvrI1AnRJmVXiiXcb3pd1ag58sfc