1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
7/16/14 4:31 p.m.

I'm also not a fan of meat soaked veggies,couldn't car less if the valve cover matches the badge on the hood though.I'll continue to follow this,if it fizzles I'll move to the next great idea.

Cxracer
Cxracer New Reader
7/16/14 5:12 p.m.

This swap is going to be CARB legal for all us CA guys and gals, right?

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/1/14 10:47 a.m.

A couple of new photos from the Mini Tec facebook feed:

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
8/1/14 1:00 p.m.

Right until this last page I was thinking "yes, but those enormous DOHC heads will be right up against the shock towers and make everything suck." I stand corrected.

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
8/1/14 1:08 p.m.

Oh and it looks like their website is starting to come to life. That's a good sign, right?

http://www.superfastmiatas.com/

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/1/14 1:11 p.m.

The Ecotec Miata was tuned last week. 201/204 at the wheels.

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/1/14 1:13 p.m.

Has anyone looked into the weight of a dressed V6 vs a dressed LSx? That to me would be a big factor. Corner weights on completed cars would be even better...

[edit] google helped me figure out that the blue J-series S2000CR was made by HPD employees... they should have freaking done that in a hardtop!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
8/1/14 1:29 p.m.

I heard the swap is 40 pounds heavier than stock, 100 pounds lighter than a V8.

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/1/14 2:43 p.m.

Forty lbs isn't bad, that's light enough that minor stuff like battery relocation can compensate.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/1/14 3:23 p.m.
jsquared wrote: Forty lbs isn't bad, that's light enough that minor stuff like battery relocation can compensate.

The battery is already in the trunk on Miata's. That being said..40lbs really isn't bad. I would make that trade off for the extra power.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/1/14 3:35 p.m.

Could probably make a good chunk of that up with a lightweight flywheel and ITBs.

beans
beans Dork
8/1/14 6:38 p.m.

Interesting how they re-did the intake manifold/throttle body instead of trying the lower-profile Odyssey Touring/TL Type-S intake manifold that makes more power. Being that the inlet of the runners are right behind those covers, wouldn't that be a bit of an issue equalizing intake air properly? An old 5.0 style intake may work well, too.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/1/14 6:49 p.m.

Wouldn't the Odyssey's intake go through the firewall when you mount the engine in a Miata?

Opti
Opti Reader
8/1/14 7:03 p.m.

Yah it looks like the old TB bung has been welded up. I think thats a bead I can see on the back of the manifold.

beans
beans Dork
8/2/14 3:36 p.m.

Didn't notice that. I think the manifolds are able to be rotated 180. In fact, if you look at the GRM article, it shows it rotated.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
8/3/14 12:54 a.m.

Buddy txts me yesterday about an '02 odessey van he wants to buy for parts for his van,wondered if I knew anyone that might need something to help offset/justify the expense.Looks like I just bought a 3.5 with all accessorys,wiring harness and ecu for $200.

Now to see if he goes thru with buying the damn thing or not.

Oh yeah,I'd bet my JR charged 1.6 with W2A I/c setup would be equal too if not heavier than the V6.

Xceler8x
8/4/14 3:29 p.m.
beans wrote: Didn't notice that. I think the manifolds are able to be rotated 180. In fact, if you look at the GRM article, it shows it rotated.

If you look at the parts diagram it seems this would be true. I don't see why they welded the port and then added on the bit to the driver's side of the motor then. Unless it was for hood clearance or some other mod we currently can't see that required that change.

Xceler8x
8/6/14 1:05 p.m.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how they did this swap while using the stock Miata trans?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/6/14 1:10 p.m.

Adapter plate. K24 swap does the same thing.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/6/14 2:18 p.m.

http://lakewoodindustries.com/bellhousing-honda-v6-08-12-to-tko-500-600.html

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/6/14 5:09 p.m.
RossD wrote: http://lakewoodindustries.com/bellhousing-honda-v6-08-12-to-tko-500-600.html

Nearly 700 bux

It would cool if I could put one in the Challenge Corolla with this Saginaw I have

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
8/8/14 2:39 p.m.

Sounds like they blew the ecotech miata up with too many revs at the last track day.

sprite63
sprite63
8/12/14 12:21 p.m.

Summer is almost over... need more details, less rumors.

Miata + AEM Series 2 ECM + motor + kit + ???

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/13/14 10:09 a.m.

It looks like some actual news is coming soon. This morning Mini Tec posted "We will be posting the Kits here on this site by next week. Stay tuned."

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/19/14 4:28 p.m.

So was that ~200wHP on a stock Odyssey engine? The J35 in the 07-ish Acuras (pricier than Odyssey engines obviously) are ~285-290 crank HP stock... cams and I/H/E seem to get over 300wHP.

Also, side note, learned today that the J-series heads are actually SOHC but still 4-valve.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tFJbOeD2SxBjZ6JK8M8rR9qRw76VCyVhRl5PMuxtHPNF3QDvFdTvbP0wi0Cpx4gG