93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/18/13 10:29 a.m.

Ok so I am looking at some choices for tuning tools for the Civic and I was wondering about Chrome versus Hondata. As anyone used either of these setups?

Also I saw this ad on Craigslist. I am ASSuming he means that the ECU is modified to accept either on of these setups. Is that correct?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/18/13 10:34 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

What ad?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/18/13 10:38 a.m.

I used to use Crome wayyyyyy back when. It's pretty basic, gets the job done, easy to use, and cheap as hell.

Don't know much about Hondata other than it's often expensive enough to just skip it and go with a standalone.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/18/13 10:38 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: What ad?

Oops... This one

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/pts/3687743496.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/18/13 10:40 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I used to use Crome wayyyyyy back when. It's pretty basic, gets the job done, easy to use, and cheap as hell. Don't know much about Hondata other than it's often expensive enough to just skip it and go with a standalone.

I was considering Megasquirt as another option. Just wasn't sure what made sense for a street prepared build.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/18/13 10:43 a.m.

All that ad means is that the ECU has been socketed, so he's been a nice guy and did 20 minutes worth of soldering for you.

For street prepared using a D-slammer.... i'd probably just roll with Crome for now and focus on making the car handle at the moment.

There are advantages to going with a full-blown Megasquirt, but making power (or lack thereof in this case ) on an SP-legal D-series is the easy part. Do the hard things first.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
3/18/13 11:16 a.m.

D-series.org main tuning guru highly recommends Neptune RTP over Crome. Neptune is also free, with a cheap paid fully unlocked version. I haven't checked it out, but it's supposed to be easier to use than Crome.

http://www.hrtuning.com/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/18/13 11:16 a.m.

Yeah that is what I am planning suspension first but I am just keeping my eyes out for parts via Craigslist.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
3/19/13 4:12 a.m.

So, what advantages does MS have over the chipped systems, especially in the case of an OBD0-OBD1 conversion?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/19/13 8:56 a.m.

Better resolution, ability to handle a non-OEM ignition setup. I don't know how far NepTune has come, but last time i touched it (in like.... 2007), it also wouldn't interface directly with a wideband.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
3/19/13 12:08 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Better resolution, ability to handle a non-OEM ignition setup. I don't know how far NepTune has come, but last time i touched it (in like.... 2007), it also wouldn't interface directly with a wideband.

I'm pretty sure it will interface with a wideband now. (I'm too lazy to check)

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/19/13 12:31 p.m.

Neptune has 24x24 fuel and timing maps vs MS3s 16x16. It does have wideband support as well, my own civic will run in closed loop off the 0-5v wideband input vs the stock narrowband. About the only advantage MS3 has is the ability to use non-factory ignition setup, and that should be changing soon. Hondata recently released a coil on plug conversion that they working on making compatible with Neptune. I haven't used ms3, but Neptune is worlds easier to figure out and tune with vs ms2 IMHO.

Compare them yourself here: http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/category/neptune-rtp

http://www.ms3efi.com/product.html

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
3/19/13 1:06 p.m.

Neptune's done a pretty impressive job. There are a few items in the feature list I didn't spot that can be done with the MegaSquirt family, besides the before-mentioned ignition changes. Some of these may exist in hacked Honda ECUs and I'm just not seeing them. Most of them are MS3 only - like I said, they've done a pretty impressive job.

• Individual cylinder spark trim tables
  • Closed loop boost control - targets a particular boost level instead of an output duty cycle
  • Nitrous control
  • Rally style anti lag
  • Two stage injection
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/19/13 1:15 p.m.

Damn they've come a long way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cee4hfHMi0KE3K8Lp8lUhCiZhTSkcpVuhhPwB9txYwpU4TeGCCJkm4xuq4TKIJ8f