1 2
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/19/22 7:39 p.m.
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/22 7:47 p.m.

Most importantly - it's mid-engine. (So really it's a Cayman)

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
5/19/22 8:27 p.m.
Javelin said:

More like a 911 gt1

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/22 8:45 p.m.

1400 hp at sea level. What is it at 14,000'? :)

And will it beat an EV up the hill?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/22 9:33 p.m.

it is neat that it exists, but he lost me with the Bergrennen style shrinkwrapped fender flares.  They don't work with the lines of the car, they just look like something you'd buy from JC Whitney.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/19/22 9:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

1400 hp at sea level. What is it at 14,000'? :)

And will it beat an EV up the hill?

According to the video, 1000hp at the starting line and 800hp at the finish.

Keith Tanner
5/19/22 9:43 p.m.

That'll keep your attention 

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/22 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It is a shame that it is paved.

I mean, yeah it is a lot more environmentally friendly, but I'll still be wistful over it.

I assume that since power is down to 800 at the peak, they are running to the limit of the turbo(s) and not the limit of the engine.  Which makes me think about compound turbocharging or twincharging to help with that smiley

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/19/22 9:49 p.m.

How many classes are there ?

is there an all EV , a Hybrid  and then a few ICE classes ?

Keith Tanner
5/19/22 9:49 p.m.

Paved is just a different challenge requiring a different driving style. I was there the first year it was fully paved and you could see the times changing. All the motorcycles trying to corner like they were on dirt, and then a dude ripping up on a sports bike. 

All the other hill climbs in CO are on dirt, so if you want to see a v8 Miata on ridiculous tires going sideways and throwing rocks that option is still open. 

Even if you use a bigger turbo, you're working it harder so you've got more back pressure, more intake temp and slower spool. 

Keith Tanner
5/19/22 9:51 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

How many classes are there ?

is there an all EV , a Hybrid  and then a few ICE classes ?

https://ppihc.org/divisions/

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/22 11:42 p.m.

While true, I am also thinking about aircraft that use turbocharging in part to compensate for altitude, so they'd make the same power at, say, 15,000ft as at ground level.   In that case the engine would be under (more or less) the same stress, as it is seeing the same intake pressure and power output.

Yeah, response would suck smiley  but my observation still stands.

The other week I learned that stage rally restrictor engines run in the 5:1 pressure ratio range, pulling as much as 15 inches of vacuum between the restrictor and compressor.  Ooof.

Berck
Berck Reader
6/3/22 7:14 p.m.

Showed up at Pueblo during the test and tune for our vintage race tomorrow.  Ran out of time and asked if the open wheel folks minded if he shared the track with us....

https://youtu.be/QQjKEfPucEg

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/3/22 9:48 p.m.

I'll be interested in seeing the event this year.

My GF surprised me tickets to go again this year which was a real surprise because she is not a car girl at all. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/23/22 12:57 p.m.

Well, they dropped a valve in testing yesterday and hurt the engine. They tried yesterday to repair it, then flew in more parts and Porsche technicians from California overnight, but the damage was too severe and it was withdrawn from competition.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That was engine #2 as well. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/23/22 1:04 p.m.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/23/22 6:07 p.m.
NickD said:

Well, they dropped a valve in testing yesterday and hurt the engine. They tried yesterday to repair it, then flew in more parts and Porsche technicians from California overnight, but the damage was too severe and it was withdrawn from competition.

Sorry to hear that , I would have loved to see it at speed up the mountain , 

Weird that they could kill it , at least on the last YouTube they were trying to keep it alive and less than half boost.

Keith Tanner
6/23/22 6:24 p.m.

Half boost is still a lot of power, though. It's not a 1:1 relationship, but even if it was we're talking roughly 500 hp out of 4.0L that's a bit of stress. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/23/22 8:10 p.m.

It looks like he lost an exhaust valve's head, which may have been caused by excessive EGT such as one might get with overly aggressive antilag.  Or it may just have been some valve float, supported by what looks like some exhaust valve to piston contact in the middle cylinder (shiny valve recess on the right).

Either way, he will not be going to space today.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/22 11:10 p.m.

I guess he doesn't get a chance to crash it or burn it to the ground now.

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
6/24/22 2:30 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Lol. True. 

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
6/24/22 2:33 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
Javelin said:

More like a 911 gt1

More like a nascar. It's not a unibody. It shares a roof with a real 911. And that's probably it. Even the suspension and pick up points are all different. It's another fake car with crap draped over the tube frame to make it look like some poster car. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
6/24/22 12:29 p.m.

Anyone else look at this and are reminded of a Lego kit the way the front sticks out like a swollen lip?

Look, Im sure it's bad as heck and Id love to see it rip up the mountain, but it's just too odd for me, personally.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/22 12:36 p.m.

Jeez, tough crowd.   

I think it is amazing and am glad they built it.  I am sad it won't get to rip up the mountain but given their timeline it was a big ask that it would basically come online and up to speed with no major issues to make it to the line.  It sounds like it will be back next year so I'm excited about that.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VSHtWkAVdr52TV0RyMPTKoNJAKzjDl81RmMXvzmrmPYJDZbxqNwJQrplpagzoOJm