Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/10/21 10:18 a.m.

Some cars you simply own. Some cars change everything. 

Let me explain. 

About 20 years ago, I had a hankering for a small, pit-type vehicle that could go off road. I first looked at Mini Mokes and VW Things. While both are cool, they’re objectively quite unattractive. Plus, they’re somewhat complicated, and each one that I looked at was rusty. …

Read the rest of the story

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/10/21 10:33 a.m.

Some high school friends had one. They used to go bombing down sections of old Mint 400 course (it's 8 miles from our house) and they once stuffed it in a ditch. The four of them got out and lifted up the front end and pushed it back out.

They are gloriously fun vehicles that seem to turn even the most mild manner drivers into fun loving hooligans.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/21 12:11 p.m.

My first car was a Miata. Look at how that turned out.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/10/21 12:30 p.m.

One summer in highschool I worked for a VW dunebuggy rental shop from whom I'd purchased my first car, a 1974 Beetle, the prior year. Living at the beach with 45mph speedlimits they really are just a lot of fun. I don't need another car, but I would be pretty happy to own a tub buggy. My old boss had a Manta Ray body that I really liked as well as a Meyers Tow'd. Both of which I'd happily have as my "going for pizza on friday night" car.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/12/21 9:27 a.m.

And then there’s that time the Manx got permanently banned from Daytona International Speedway. 

Do tell.  You don't get off that easy around here mister!  smiley

Scott

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
10/12/21 12:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

My first car was a Miata. Look at how that turned out.

Our NA Miata changed our lives, drawing us down a path of many adventures, great experiences and a lot of fun.  I've owned a lot of vehicles, but none had the impact of our first Miata.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/21 9:42 a.m.

If you think about it, like...in the grand scheme of everything, that Manx has changed a bunch of people's lives. 

Here's three more (third, behind the camera). 

Shout out to Nancy.  The boys promised her they'd be careful.  She laughed at my car joke (it's when it stops leaking that you have a problem)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/15/21 12:00 p.m.

My FR-S got me a house.  I bought it when times were good. Then they became not so good. Like tough, every dollar spent, not sure I'm going g to make it tough. A lot of people said to let the car go. Let it be repo'd. 

I almost bought into it. But I stuck it out. Skrimped and saved.  Paid the bill on time and on target. 

That phenomenal credit I got by taking on and being able to handle debt proved to the bank that I could handle it. And that credit got me the house I'm in today.  The bad credit from a repo would have submarined any chance of that happening. 

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
9/29/23 1:29 p.m.

A Meyers Manx would have been fun, but my brother and I together bought a tricked-out Datsun 510 while in high school.  We learned to drive the 4-speed manual only after buying the car--great memories and a great car.  Owned a myriad of Datsuns ever since.  I would look at other makes, but the Datsun brand made cars that were so basic, easy to repair and work on, plus they were just plain fun to drive.

timcking
timcking New Reader
9/30/23 6:21 p.m.

I've owned a fair number of cars.  A couple of years ago, since I live on the edge of the desert, I became interested in off-road vehicles.  Discovering ATVs and UTVs, I was disheartened by their cost.  Then, I remembered the dune buggies from the '60s and '70s.  What attracted me is the prices and availability of VW parts.  And, not needing a trailer since they're street legal.  It turned out it's also my wife's favorite of all the cars I've owned.  A win-win.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/24/24 7:20 a.m.

Here's my Cox dune buggy, complete with .049 gas powered engine.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/24/24 8:22 a.m.

"Over dinner that night, Bruce and his amazing wife, Winnie, shared countless stories. One that perfectly captures his spirit: He shaped the Manx’s front fender to hold a beer. And despite experiencing some serious adversity, he still had a gleam in his eye."

That's a pretty cool fun fact.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rokvAFhjUqIyBa8PlyI13L21IMKgQPXZGjnDiTwLA1kNdlKSJAV4mmr7KfN3BOrn