calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/25/22 7:15 p.m.

I keep hearing horror stories, but I've found someone willing to trade their stick shift 335 coupe straight up for my 180,000 mile prius. I only leave the house about once a week so the extra gas spend will be nominal. 

Here's a complete list of everything that's been replaced in the recent past. I'm not sure if I'm comforted or if it's just a sign of things to come. I feel like if I can drive it around for a year without any major repairs, it'll be a solid trade. What does the hivemind think?

The amount of work and money that has recently went into this car is insane to say the least. Before I moved, I was getting her ready for a track/backroad build, a lot of focus on all the suspension stuff, all bushings on everything has been upgraded or replaced.
All oil seals replaced, and a ton of OEM parts replaced.
Oil changed every 3k miles.

I’ll be updating this ad with a complete breakdown of parts and total price. If I had to guess, probably around $10k was spent.

Quick run down of parts:
335is clutch.
Single mass flywheel.
Koni yellow cup sport suspension kit.
Sway bars.
Ecs slotted rotors.
E92 M3 complete suspension kit upgrade.
Vargas upgraded turbos.
Arm motorspots piping, race intercooler, relocation kit, down pipes.
Custom tune from Ken.
Converted grey interior to black/brown, still needs a and b pillars**
M3 trim and shifter.
I’d say everything around the engine and chassis has been replaced with new parts.
Bimmer life coil conversion.
Pilot super sport tires.
VRSF full exhaust system, one of the best sounding systems hands down.
TiAL BOV.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/25/22 7:50 p.m.

I have never owned a single BMW that didn't consume at least ~$2000 a year, and that's including the older, simpler stuff. I sure wouldn't touch it, the N54/N55 engines are waking nightmares to me, and I've had a lot of BMWs.

I'm guessing his motivation is somewhat fuel economy-driven, but think of it from his perspective. How rough has his experience been that he would spend all that money and then trade straight up for a 180k Prius?

Also, the aftermarket crap and swapped out interior parts scream "I've messed with this thing more than you will ever know" to me.

EDT (Forum Supporter)
EDT (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/25/22 8:00 p.m.

I have been daily driving my 07 335i with the N54 for the past couple years and 30k miles. I would be wary of the big ticket items: hpfp, injectors, valve cover, and water pump/thermostat. Vargas does not have a great reputation for turbo longevity, so that's a potential downside versus stock turbos, but the suspension and intercooler work is nice to have. I haven't had any real issues and I have done the typical intercooler/intake/downpipes/tune with MHD since I got the car (granted, it still only has 75k miles).

In the time I have had the car, I have had to put a new battery in (requires an app or someone to program it), replace the hpfp, change the oil filter gasket (not too bad), replace the water pump (I did the thermostat while I was there), change a VANOS solenoid, my oil pan is starting to seep, and my turbos are beginning to rattle. It's been pretty easy to work on as there is a ton of complexity but it's all well documented and seems to be designed for maintenance (which it very much needs).

Overall, I love the car for it's ridiculous power and handling, but it very much makes you pay for it. If you're okay with that as I am, it's great, but if you expect it to be anything like a Prius, be prepared for pain and disappointment.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/25/22 8:18 p.m.

I came here to say that it wasn't a bad idea at all--that it was a great idea.  A low-mileage bone stock example might be just the ticket.

Then I read the description.  I'd be inclined to pass, unless you're feeling adventurous.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/25/22 9:10 p.m.
calteg said:

Custom tune from Ken...

I was not aware that Ken and Barbie opened a tuning shop...

devil

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/26/22 8:01 a.m.

Everything said in this thread was exactly what I was thinking, I just needed some reinforcement. Thanks gang

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/22 8:20 a.m.

My 135i experience scared me right back to simpler cars. My FD gives less problems  than the 135i...

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
5/26/22 9:25 a.m.

When our Prius v was totalled, we replaced it with an m135i (like an m235, but 4 door hatch). Brilliant to drive, and comfortably the fastest car I've owned (low 12sec car on a cool night, it had some boltons).

The Prius was the smart choice, and eventually, while the car was flawless in my ownership, I decided it would be best to sell it before it had any issues. I got a bit more than we paid for it, so that helped with the decision. I miss it, but miss the Prius more. 

Never imagined I'd ever say that.

Generally the n55 is pretty proven, but suffers oil starvation on some tracks. N54 is a bit scarier. Both are complex motors in complex cars.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
5/26/22 12:32 p.m.

Hot take: 335i is a muscle car.

They're too heavy, so while the handling is fine, I wouldn't call them playful. They really shine in a straight line, mods are plentiful, lack of power is almost never a complaint. They lack the simplicity of most American muscle, but even the modern Hemis are a pain to work on anymore.

I had one, it was a fine daily, but if I had to do it again I'd look for a 330i with no turbos. Less stuff to break.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/27/22 10:25 a.m.
Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/27/22 10:35 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

I have never owned a single BMW that didn't consume at least ~$2000 a year, and that's including the older, simpler stuff. I sure wouldn't touch it, the N54/N55 engines are waking nightmares to me, and I've had a lot of BMWs.

Whereas my 2003 E46 ran for 16 years and 130,000 miles with basically consumables, 1 battery replacement, and a couple window regulators.  The OE clutch was tight as a drum.

It had the M54.  I can't speak to the N-series engines at all.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/27/22 10:59 a.m.

Ugh. Few things...

"Ken" is probably Ken of Wedge Tuning, the foremost N54 calibration engineer/tuner in the country. 

VTT turbos are hit and miss as are EVERY upgraded TD03 turbo on earth. Very small bearings and shafts, very large wheels spinning very fast is not a recipe for longevity. 

I know I'm the minority around here but E90 chassis cars are absolutely sublime and mine in the nearly 120,000mi I've driven mine in six years. Are they maintenance heavy absolutely. Are they worth it? Absolutely. Unless you can swing an F80 M3 then you should totally do that.  

For what it's worth PHG is celebrating a year with a 2010 328xi and despite being a lifelong Honda owner she hasn't been surprised by any maintenance or breakdown related costs, closest thing to breakdown was a cracked wheel. I will say a sport package N52 powered car is 85% as good as a street car if reliability is a serious concern maybe consider the lack of turbos. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
5/27/22 12:40 p.m.

I'd take the BMW.  More fun, engaging, and interesting.  Nobody wants to drive around in a prius.  Y'all are rationalizing based on pesky "responsible" ideals like reliability.  Screw that!  Live life!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/27/22 12:50 p.m.

I actually quite like the Prius in every regard except for speed. It's just.glacially.slow. On the upside, the prius has kept me out of a bunch of trouble over the years. Hard to road rage when the neighborhood kid on a Huffy is quicker than you.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/27/22 1:05 p.m.

I've been DD'ing an N54 335i for 30k+ miles and 4+ years and it's has not been the maintenance nightmare that everyone claims to be. Yes, gaskets leak and need replacement but that's a typical BMW trait and common to non-turbo engines too though the additional heat from the turbo does not help for sure. Never left me stranded and maintenance work I did (water pump, tensioners, gaskets) have been preventive. Catch is being able to DIY these as dealer cost will be outrageous. 

Currently about to turn 100k and no turbo issues but mine is all stock. Sounds glorious with BMW performance exhaust, upgraded stereo sounds great, goes like stink when I want to and cruises nicely when I'm just putting around. That said I would not swap one that has been tempered that extensively. Drove several Prii and, in my experience, it's a car that sucks the life out of you. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/22 9:13 a.m.

I'd do it.  The things like HPFP and valve cover are fairly cheap to fix.  It is the Valvetronic cars (which this is not) that are expensive.  When the mechanism jams and takes out the motor which takes out the ECM then you are looking at $8-9k to get the car running again...

Heck, I think you can do a valve cover for under $700 all-in...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/28/22 9:45 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Genuine curiosity: What type of work do you have to do that makes a valve cover cost $700?

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/28/22 10:25 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Genuine curiosity: What type of work do you have to do that makes a valve cover cost $700?

The valve cover itself fails, as the PCV diaphragms incorporated into it fail and cause large vacuum leaks.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
5/28/22 10:45 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
MrJoshua said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The valve cover itself fails, as the PCV diaphragms incorporated into it fail and cause large vacuum leaks.

Have you ever attempted to replace the PCV alone? I was told by a BMW master tech that this wasn't that difficult, and much cheaper. Of course it's an aftermarket part, but it seems like a reasonable option.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/28/22 10:48 a.m.

See, I think it would be one thing if this was a fully stock example with a stack of indie receipts...I would still be hesitant but at least you'd know it wasn't messed with and corners weren't cut.

But when you get into stuff like the interior that has been 3/4 swapped out, that's the kind of thing that makes me go "on a car this complex, why would you ever do that?" Let alone stuff like the upgraded turbos that multiple people are describing as "hit or miss"...

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy but there is a certain blend of modified Euro car that just makes me go "nooooope" and this seems to be one of those.

EDT (Forum Supporter)
EDT (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/28/22 11:52 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

You can, but in my experience by the time the PCV fails the cover has already or is about to crack anyway so it needs replacing. Plastic valve covers and turbo heat aren't the best mix for longevity.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/28/22 12:21 p.m.

My experience with BMW crankcase ventilation is go OEM the first time, because you'll be going OEM the second time.

IIRC there is also an updated part.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/22 9:56 a.m.

There's a reason this guy is willing to dump his 335 for a 180k mile Prius.

I had a 335xi that I bought CPO with just 20k on the clock. Problems started almost immediately. It was a constant stream of headaches, mostly without warning. I was relying on it as my daily driver, which was a nightmare. You just never knew when it would decide not to start in the morning...or roll the windows all the way down (and stay that way during a thunderstorm)...or die on the middle of the cross Bronx expressway...or go into limp mode while on a family trip to Virginia...or a million other things.

So, if this is going to be a "fun" car then go for it. They're great when they actually work. But if you're going to rely on it as, you know...a form of transportation, then probably best to avoid. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/22 11:03 a.m.

There has been some great feedback here already (as there always is on this forum) but I thought I would share some semi-related feedback on my 330ci and BMW ownership in general.

My car is a 2006 330ci ZHP that has been tremendously cared for by the previous two owners.  The first leased it for 3 years, the second owned it from then until I bought it.  Second owner knows the cars well and is an active member of the BMW CCA.  The car was never hit and came with an over 1" thick stack of receipts for work and replacement parts.

I trust the seller and he drove it some 100 miles or so to drop it to me.

All of that being said, within my first 90 days of ownership, I've spent over $3000 on repairs and updates.  As an example, the oil pan was leaking, which requires lifting the engine to correct.  

I'm not upset about it and went in eyes wide open, and I've added another 500 or so miles with no additional issues.  All of they being said, there is absolutely a BMW tax.  All parts are costly and some of the repairs require a BMW tech unless you're really committed (I just had back surgery and I'm not).

My point in sharing the experience is something along the lines of offering a first hand perspective on a BMW vs a more mainstream marque:  its costly.  

Best of luck either way!

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/22 4:03 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

My car is a 2006 330ci ZHP that has been tremendously cared for by the previous two owners. 

You can't even begin to compare an E46 330 with an N54-powered E90. Whatever problems you've had with your E46, an E90 335 is a whole other league of pain.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IhsfENGQ3QJf94csHvu0YAfapVO0ffAKqebtlEcFlvHrSPzqO7baz9zZgoroYtlv