1 2
Peter Brock
Peter Brock
3/10/20 3:47 p.m.

Story by Peter Brock • Photograph Courtesy Nissan

Peter Brock may be best known as an automotive designer who played a key role in the design of the Corvette Sting Ray and Cobra Daytona Coupes, but his real love has always been building and racing cars. His training as a graphic designer helped establish the looks of several well-known racing teams, …

Read the rest of the story

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
3/10/20 4:48 p.m.

One of the most iconic liveries ever, still looks great.

_
_ Dork
3/10/20 6:09 p.m.

"Story by Peter Brock" 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/10/20 7:15 p.m.

In reply to _ :

You know that Peter writes a regular column for us over at Classic Motorsports, right? And the next issue has a piece where he explains the difference between the American-made Daytona coupe and the bodies built in Italy. 

_
_ Dork
3/10/20 7:23 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I did not. I mostly stay here because I thought just about everything in GRM was CM. Looks like I'll have to float (like a stinky fart) over there and annoy y'all. 

David S. Wallens
3/10/20 7:33 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/10/20 8:28 p.m.

Can you imagine Brock's thoughts on Pantera?  (The band?)

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/20 8:35 p.m.

I'll have to break out my new copy of CM. I recently subscribed when the huge cluster of car magazines closed.

Join me, support GRM!

David S. Wallens
3/10/20 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Thank you, thank you. 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/10/20 9:39 p.m.

Is it possible to be 57 years old and a fanboi? If so, that describes my feelings for Peter Brock. Kudos GRM, for bringing this great aboard.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
3/11/20 7:43 p.m.

There's just something about that boxy little grocery getter that translates so well to the race track. How they do that ?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/12/20 9:03 a.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

I have no idea, but I agree.

Something about the lines and the shape just feel right.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
3/12/20 9:23 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to _ :

You know that Peter writes a regular column for us over at Classic Motorsports, right?

Nope.  I did *NOT* know that, either.  Hmmmm....you have my attention.

Some reading for you:

Peter Brock on turning the 240Z into a champ.

Peter Brock on his first car.

Peter Brock on the Pantera. (The car, not the band.)

Peter Brock on the Triumph TR250K.

Peter Brock on Old Yeller II.

Peter Brock on the Mercedes-Benz T80 land speed car.

And you know the drill: read, like, share. (And look for more to be posted, too.)

You rock.  I'll be reading all of those.  The Old Yeller will be fun to read about because the Mrs and I just saw one of the Old Yeller cars while rewatching the Elvis movie 'Spinout'

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
3/12/20 9:38 a.m.

I'm a bit weird, but I always liked Brock's Hino Contessa (not that I dislike the Datsuns, of course) :

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 12:03 p.m.

Nothing wrong with some Hino love. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/12/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I just assumed it was someone else with the same name. Cool!

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 12:08 p.m.

While there are (or, were, sadly) two Peter Brocks in motorsports, the one who writes for us is the one who penned the C3 Corvette, worked with Shelby, and ran the famed Datsun program. 

Satch_Carlson
Satch_Carlson New Reader
3/12/20 12:59 p.m.

@Kreb asks, "Is it possible to be 57 years old and a fanboi? If so, that describes my feelings for Peter Brock."

Just 57? Oh, you child! There is no age limit to admiration for one of the legendary heroes of American racing. (I should know!) Ask him about discovering the effect of the front spoiler on the 240Z sometime....

Matt
Matt Reader
3/12/20 1:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to _ :

You know that Peter writes a regular column for us over at Classic Motorsports, right? And the next issue has a piece where he explains the difference between the American-made Daytona coupe and the bodies built in Italy. 

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

I DID I DID!!  im going to get that copy post-haste.  For those who don't know, there is an absolutely fascinating story tied to the first Daytona Cobra, not just why it was faster than the Italian built cars but more - it was locked up in a storage unit, in a spinsters garage, Hollywood mogul Phil Specter, Bonneville, Murder...its almost too much to believe.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
2/17/21 1:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Peter Brock on his first car.

While a lot of us know about the Cobras and even his first car, how many know about his second car, a '46 Ford convertible full custom with the probably first application of what would be known as the Cobra stripes:

Quite the different look to what other paint jobs were being done at the time. I do believe this was the second iteration of the car, too, with the original finish being red and a more stock looking nose. I hadn't seen it like that in magazines, but did see the striped version in old magazines growing up.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/17/21 2:12 p.m.

Digging some BRE at Road America.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/17/21 2:14 p.m.

Digging the guys at JCCS.   Super friendly and approachable.  

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/17/21 2:48 p.m.
_ said:

"Story by Peter Brock" 

Satch Carlson posts in a thread started by Peter Brock?

Damn. When does Csaba Csare show up?

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
2/17/21 4:23 p.m.

I've had the pleasure of talking to Peter Brock on several occasions and always find him to be extremely down to earth as well as passionate.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/21 8:02 a.m.

A 510 is just so right in so many ways . . .

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ynEs1POisRFdiHlENaUSPvXz3cJQWJL3o6aR7KsMSFd2ZpxdBZI7tgvfXaxYFE5N