1 2 3 4
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/4/22 8:02 p.m.

I don't really think of myself as a carburetor guy because my daily and wife's car don't have them so 90% of my motoring doesn't involve them. BUT out of curiosity I counted up how many individual carburetors I have and the total is 19. 

Datsun-3

CBX-6

Kawasaki H1 -3

Triumph- 2

Honda trail90-1

lawnmower/weedeater/snowblower/chainsaw-4

That's WAY more than I thought. I'm curious what other folks have because I feel like this group owns way more carburetors than they realize.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/22 8:03 p.m.

1 and it was sent to me in a New Years box!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/4/22 8:04 p.m.

Yamaha R1 - 4
Honda CT70 - 1

The end. That's enough. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/4/22 8:07 p.m.

Honda mower - Ryobi Trimmer.  I get that they are simple but I have sworn them off.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/22 8:12 p.m.

More than I'd prefer winkLet's see, the Mini, the Land Rover and two Cadilliacs. Of those, two haven't run in a few years so they'll probably need a bloody rebuild.

I have two cars that are 37 years old and have fuel injection, there's no excuse :)

No Time
No Time SuperDork
3/4/22 8:13 p.m.

20, but I need to downsize and eliminate some projects and parts  

-snowmobiles 13 total (6 on running sleds, 4 on project sleds, 1 on parts sled,and 2 on the spare engine. 

Yard equipment 7 - 1 each on tractor, push mower, trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw, pressure washer, snowblower

edit: actually 21, I forgot about the one on the 4hp outboard that I don't have a boat to put it on. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/4/22 8:13 p.m.

Lawnmower-1

Leaf blower-1

Outboard motor-1 (anyone want to buy a 2.5 Mercury 4 stroke?).

Generator-1

Engine from the Challenge Morris Minor-1

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/22 8:14 p.m.

750 Holley on the Camato, two 45 DCOE's on the 510, two Honda one lungers.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
3/4/22 8:31 p.m.

Lawn care outnumbers vehicles 5 to 3

Edit, I have a new one still in the box, so 5 to 4

Re-edit, forgot the rototiller. 6 to 4

10. Whodathunkit.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/4/22 8:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

More than I'd prefer winkLet's see, the Mini, the Land Rover and two Cadilliacs. Of those, two haven't run in a few years so they'll probably need a bloody rebuild.

I have two cars that are 37 years old and have fuel injection, there's no excuse :)

I would prefer all my stuff to be fuel injected except the Datsun. That's the only thing I like the induction sound more than the exhaust. BUT I like old things and old things have carburetors. If there was a cheap and easy kit for everything else to be EFI I would be on it.

That being said i don't really have issues with any of my carbs once I go through them and the DCOEs in the Datsun sit a year or longer between usage. I think the anxiety of having all those jets to clog and needles get sticky is worse than what I actually have to deal with.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/22 8:43 p.m.

3 total

1 - amazon special on the snowblower

1 - amazon special that came off the snowblower after 5 years and should go in the trash

1 - original for the snowblower 

Keith Tanner
3/4/22 8:48 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I just had to get help to unberkeley the carb in the Mini, I'd rebuilt it twice but missed the secret choke channel or something. It happens. Of course, I've also had to get a set of injectors cleaned :)

You can get the noise without the carburetor if you run a fairly open intake. There's really nothing special about a throttle butterfly.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/4/22 9:11 p.m.

I have 2 holleys off vehicle, 4 on vehicle, plus a random shelving unit with more but never counted.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/4/22 9:26 p.m.

Since I purged all my gas-powered lawn equipment but the rider, I'm down to just the one. And that's plenty.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
3/4/22 9:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

You can get the noise without the carburetor if you run a fairly open intake. There's really nothing special about a throttle butterfly.

Unless its Q-jet with those giant secondaries (compared to the primaries), that has a sound that is hard to duplicate. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
3/4/22 9:31 p.m.

2x Weber DCOEs, one is on the car, the other is for the next engine that will use both.

1 Holley that I got with a bunch of parts and am going to get rid of.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/4/22 9:35 p.m.

Not counting lawn equipment,

1 Quadrajet on the truck

1 Pair Keihin carbs on the KZ400

And that, strangely, is all.  The Chevy II was to have been a carbed engine, but now has a Holley Sniper EFI sitting on top of it.

Keith Tanner
3/4/22 9:36 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

I think that's what I have on one of the Cadillacs. Might have to confirm. I don't recall it making a specifically unusual noise but it also had a big hole in the header at the time.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/4/22 9:38 p.m.

Push mower, 3 tractors, tiller, power head. So 6? Oh, and a predator to go on the tiller, so I guess 7.

I'd like to get that number to zero, but I haven't found an electric tiller, and can't afford electric anything else.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/4/22 9:59 p.m.

lawn mower and line trimmer. 

thankfully, I no longer have any carb'd vehicles. Last carb'd car was my Triumph GT6 that had twin SU 1.75s on it (incidentally, the best carbs I ever owned). 

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/4/22 10:02 p.m.

I've got a rail of carbs from a Honda CB motorcycle. Does anyone want it? It's taking up space in my garage. I feel like there's a different thread for that...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/22 10:24 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

I would prefer all my stuff to be fuel injected except the Datsun. That's the only thing I like the induction sound more than the exhaust. BUT I like old things and old things have carburetors. If there was a cheap and easy kit for everything else to be EFI I would be on it.

That being said i don't really have issues with any of my carbs once I go through them and the DCOEs in the Datsun sit a year or longer between usage. I think the anxiety of having all those jets to clog and needles get sticky is worse than what I actually have to deal with.

Have you ever dealt with clogged injectors from sitting?

Go buy yourself a k jet car from the 70's that's been sitting for five years, get it running,  then come back to your Webers...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/22 10:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to No Time :

I think that's what I have on one of the Cadillacs. Might have to confirm. I don't recall it making a specifically unusual noise but it also had a big hole in the header at the time.

Flip the lid, man.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/4/22 10:27 p.m.

1 - lawn mower and it's a pain in the ass. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/4/22 10:28 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Have you ever dealt with clogged injectors from sitting?

Go buy yourself a k jet car from the 70's that's been sitting for five years, get it running,  then come back to your Webers...

I've brought  2 K jet cars back from the grave. I'm not scared of anything anymore. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WJBoNFcTEBOwb67tyseNWwqh9HsJ5xDDIOuSwKOsPqNtnPAIEMRKSlBuPmUaWd6v