1 2
beans
beans HalfDork
10/7/13 8:56 p.m.

Honestly, anything past a Conti DW or something in that performance range is massive overkill for the street. Consider yourself lucky there's so many good choices in a 205/50/15. Even the 205/50/16 Star Specs on my Accord with not-hardcore springs/shocks has WAY more grip than I ever need on the street.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/7/13 9:18 p.m.
Run_Away wrote: Who cares what it looks like? A 205/50/15 will typically always be faster on a 15x8 rim vs a 15x7.

Who cares about a miniscule timed performance difference in a non-competitive (fun) street car? If what the stop watch measures is all that matters, a 275/35-15 will typically always be faster than a 205/50-15...At which point 15x7 vs 15x8 is rendered totally irrelevant.

carbon
carbon Reader
10/7/13 9:53 p.m.

I am of the opinion that too much grip and not enough power is the recipe for a very not fun car. Get some tires that break away and regain traction progressively and you can explore the limits at speeds that wont land you in jail.

The next question you should be asking is "what tires have predictable at limit behavior and low traction?"

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
10/7/13 10:24 p.m.
carbon wrote: I am of the opinion that too much grip and not enough power is the recipe for a very not fun car. Get some tires that break away and regain traction progressively and you can explore the limits at speeds that wont land you in jail. The next question you should be asking is "what tires have predictable at limit behavior and low traction?"

On the street yes. Maybe even on the track. But at auto-x the moar grip the moar better. Although some of that on the track loss of fun is due to drag, the massive slicks would make you slower if you dont have enough power such that the drag is unimportant.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/13 10:30 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
Run_Away wrote: Who cares what it looks like? A 205/50/15 will typically always be faster on a 15x8 rim vs a 15x7.
Who cares about a miniscule timed performance difference in a non-competitive (fun) street car? If what the stop watch measures is all that matters, a 275/35-15 will typically always be faster than a 205/50-15...At which point 15x7 vs 15x8 is rendered totally irrelevant.

I'm guessing OP might care. Or should, after the huge amount of money he shelled out on the Xidas. People typically dont buy Xidas to look good.

Why is this even an argument?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/13 10:35 p.m.

He doesn't have Xidas yet. It's part of the dream.

It was a lot of fun driving my 210 rwhp Miata on crap tires this past weekend. I had to work on a different skillset than I usually do. Don't get hung up on sheer cornering grip, it's not everything you need to have a good time.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
10/7/13 10:39 p.m.

Man I dont even want to think about driving that kind of power in a miata on RS3s. Drifto fest, not being able to put power down is no fun if you're trying to drive fast.

And I bought xidas so the miata turbo people would like me.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/7/13 11:05 p.m.

I have to be the dissenter: I berkeleying LOVE the 225/45/R15 Hankook RS3s on my supercharged '96. The blower helps, but the 3:73 rear makes it act like a stock Miata unless I go to Bonneville. TRC3Ms 15X9. Those+NB Sport sways w.adjustable links=big fun! A little stretched, but worth it for the grip.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
10/7/13 11:27 p.m.

I just put some 205 NT01s on XP-3s 15x8 6ULs, and they don't look stretched at all.

Edit: wow, that post has a lot of jargon.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/13 11:32 p.m.
Leafy wrote: Man I dont even want to think about driving that kind of power in a miata on RS3s. Drifto fest, not being able to put power down is no fun if you're trying to drive fast. And I bought xidas so the miata turbo people would like me.

There's a lot to be said for learning to meter power out instead of just relying on mechanical grip. It's a good skill. The fastest guy at our track this weekend was horsing a 585 hp Mustang around a kart track and using first gear on the hairpins. Astounding throttle control.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/8/13 12:31 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Agreed. Somebody with excellent throttle control expertly dancing a traction limited car around a tight course is simply amazing to watch! It makes me want to become a better driver, much more than it makes me want a faster car.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
10/8/13 7:56 a.m.

rule of thumb is to run rim widths that are equal to tread width ... in ST a-x we're limited to 7 1/2" rims ... 225's are pinched and don't give the expected performance, 205's tend to be the best fit, and for the past few yrs (and for next yr) the 195 Toyo gives the best on track performance ...

so the suggestion is to research the tire you want to run ... find the tread width (not the section width) and then shop rims that match up ... you could end up saving money ( by not having to buy 8" wide rims)

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
10/8/13 7:59 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
rule of thumb is to run rim widths that are equal to tread width ... in ST a-x we're limited to 7 1/2" rims ... 225's are pinched and don't give the expected performance, 205's tend to be the best fit, and for the past few yrs (and for next yr) the 195 Toyo gives the best on track performance ... so the suggestion is to research the tire you want to run ... find the tread width (not the section width) and then shop rims that match up ... you could end up saving money ( by not having to buy 8" wide rims)

But find the real tread width. A 205 high performance tire fits on wheels more like a 225 all season. They're more at home on 8" wheels than 7.5", the same goes for putting a 225 on a 9", it makes the tire square, not stretched.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
10/8/13 8:21 a.m.
Leafy wrote:
wbjones wrote:
rule of thumb is to run rim widths that are equal to tread width ... in ST a-x we're limited to 7 1/2" rims ... 225's are pinched and don't give the expected performance, 205's tend to be the best fit, and for the past few yrs (and for next yr) the 195 Toyo gives the best on track performance ... so the suggestion is to research the tire you want to run ... find the tread width (not the section width) and then shop rims that match up ... you could end up saving money ( by not having to buy 8" wide rims)
But find the real tread width. A 205 high performance tire fits on wheels more like a 225 all season. They're more at home on 8" wheels than 7.5", the same goes for putting a 225 on a 9", it makes the tire square, not stretched.

that's what I meant ... just didn't say it correctly ... the ACTUAL tread width is what I was going after

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/8/13 10:09 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I'll admit, my 245/45 Specs are a bit too wide for my 17x8 OZ's. Star specs run very wide, rs3's are a bit narrower, kumho's run nearly all season widths, and I can't really speak for the others.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KiM4Ota7nBHFeCJ3yJvqUPvj9emM1j71yC1GsxKCj82rHYc5oV3WDnSde3eDdWec