Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
3/9/22 2:22 p.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the October 2009 issue of Grassroots Mototsports.]

For most of the motoring public, picking the right oil is easy: Simply follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. No matter what the make and model, trusty engineers have already determined the right viscosity for that particular car. Whether it’s 5W30 or 10W-whatever, the information is in the …

Read the rest of the story

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/22 2:38 p.m.

If only we had a member here who offered those types of services.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/22 3:34 p.m.

RE cold temps causing problems while using 20W50.

I was running 20W50 in an "enhanced" 289 in a '65 Mustang.  Once morning it was 25 degrees F; unusual for the city in the Deep South where  I lived.   I started the engine and it blew out the seal on the oil filter.  The oil pressure gauge, a real one with a small copper tubing routed to the engine, went all the way left for an instant then went to zero when the blow out happened.    And I quickly shut off the engine at that point.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/22 9:38 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Bobzilla, do your services include HDEO recommendations? I'm curious if I can still run Delvac, Delo or Rotella T4  dino oils in my 7.3 and 6.0 diesel since they're not on the approved Ford diesel oil spec (WSS-M2C171-F1) anymore. Apparently something about the CJ-4/CK-4 spec change. Am I just overthinking this? 

nothing like a good ol oil thread...

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
5/6/22 2:19 p.m.

Choosing thr correct weight oil is a function of:

block material

rod material

bearing clearances

expected oil operating temperature range

I use the chart below and consult with the shop that builds the short block to make sure we are using the correct weight oil.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/22 9:32 p.m.

Now that this decade is over a decade old, I'd love to see Bob in an article talking about Oil, would also be neat to honor a member's business.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/6/22 10:06 p.m.
WillG80 said:
bobzilla said:

Bobzilla, do your services include HDEO recommendations? I'm curious if I can still run Delvac, Delo or Rotella T4  dino oils in my 7.3 and 6.0 diesel since they're not on the approved Ford diesel oil spec (WSS-M2C171-F1) anymore. Apparently something about the CJ-4/CK-4 spec change. Am I just overthinking this? 

nothing like a good ol oil thread...

Things have been a bit crazy the last couple months and I completely missed this. PM me and I'll do my best to answer any questions you got. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/6/22 10:08 p.m.
grover said:

Now that this decade is over a decade old, I'd love to see Bob in an article talking about Oil, would also be neat to honor a member's business.  

I appreciate that. I missed one from March in here.  Silly day job making me miss things. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/22 11:34 p.m.

Day jobs are lame, I can relate. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ACv8I2gkl2I6o91Nm45sHbKJ8nry3GbCyPcUyXhYYAmNgL0ANOXkJ4nGJ8bpHEa