The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
2/17/22 12:22 p.m.
feature_image

Story by Tom Suddard and Wayne Presley

Thanks to a freshly painted interior and two sets of new Konigs and tires on the shelf, our LFX-swapped, NA-chassis Miata endurance racer was getting closer and closer to the track.

One problem: We hadn’t yet heard it run–well, not since swapping in the V6.

We’d finish this final phase of the swap …

Read the rest of the story

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
2/19/22 7:18 p.m.

Funny but adding the drivetrain loss to the chassis dyno numbers comes out to 323 horsepower.

What will you do with the dead motor?  I would rebuild it as the primary engine and keep the Copart motor as the spare.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/22 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA :

How did you determine drivetrain loss? It's neither a percentage nor a fixed value, but a combination. It's 281 measured RWHP, that's the one number that's reliable - and applicable. 

This update reads like real life meeting forum lore :) The engines are cheap, until they're not. The wiring is easy, until it's not. The parts bolt in, until they don't. This is what it's really like :)

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/19/22 10:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Jerry From LA :

This update reads like real life meeting forum lore :) The engines are cheap, until they're not. The wiring is easy, until it's not. The parts bolt in, until they don't. This is what it's really like :)

I think I am going to print and post that on my shop wall because it describes every single project that has ever found its way into my shop. 

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
2/20/22 4:08 p.m.

Being the owner of an LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, I went through almost all of these issues. I used the factory harness and fab'd just about everything else. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/20/22 6:00 p.m.

You do know they make a twin turbo version of that engine don't you?

I've driven several and it do make me smile!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kne46KepIrNCwoYijajsZBBMRCdqjkEeNzX87FnzzV9B1ftl1fARyGV7GvGkBD3U