taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/10/15 7:26 a.m.

Is there a simple recipe for fitting a 6'4" body in a miata? Ive been in a z3 and my head was against the bars for the top.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
11/10/15 7:45 a.m.

What generation are you talking about? I'm only 5'9", so I can't share your concern, but I do know a bunch of people have done foamectomy to the seat to help.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
11/10/15 7:49 a.m.

Buy or build the parts to move the steering wheel back about an inch from the stock location. cut two inches of foam out of the bottom seat cushion(google Miata foamectomy) or get a different seat with minimal butt and back padding and build mounts.

FYI. I am a little under 6'4". If you want professional help with this, Emilio Cervantes, the owner of 949 Racing, is tall like us. He has built more than one street and track Miata that tall guys can fit in. He has been really helpful to me.

NickD
NickD Reader
11/10/15 8:36 a.m.

I'm 6'3 and I drive my 1990 Miata without any modifications to the seat needed. I did swap to a 330mm Nardi Deep Corn to get me some more legroom but I drove it over a year and a half with the stock steering wheel. When I have a helmet on, I do have to put the top down and I have to occasionally lean over the steering wheel to see traffic lights, but those are minor issues for me.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
11/10/15 8:59 a.m.

For me, this is the only solution:

And yes, I realize that isn't a Miata.

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/10/15 9:03 a.m.

I'm only 6'2" but all torso. I lowered my butt down to the steel. Then I developed lower back problems. At that point I gave up.

Miata is not the answer for me.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/10/15 9:13 a.m.

I have a MOMO Corsa seat in mine (because racecar, not because I'm tall) and it's worth a good couple of inches. When I sit in a factory seat now it's like perching on a tippy bar stool. Honestly, factory NA/NB seats are so bad I'd put it at the top of my list of things to replace if I bought another one tomorrow.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/10/15 11:10 a.m.

What's a good seat for street driving that has a recline mechanism that would still aid tall guys? Sometimes a cheap NA MX-5 seems like a fun little project but my inseam is 36" and this sounds like a big fitment challenge.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3BkUw4OAOas0lfbbQbUCPjoUKUEhpTT2A9gYttuHRRE2oSZeZUS4Tjt69Q5omnd3