Steven Cole Smith
Steven Cole Smith Contributor
5/25/21 1:07 p.m.

Have you ever taken a picture of your car?

Of course you have. A quick shot in the driveway, in front of a lake, behind your shop–everybody’s done it. But how do pros take those dramatic photos you see in magazines like this one?

Mike Burroughs is one of the top automotive photographers on the West Coast. Besides shooting for …

Read the rest of the story

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
7/6/21 10:03 p.m.

Most people take snapshots and they don't ever use their phone in - what do you call it - LANDSCAPE mode? Landscape for a car? I want to focus on the sky!

Cameras are out - long live the TikTok portrait 15 sec video. That's OK - I own three film cameras and four digital and to many lenses to count. But who actually has enlargements made anymore. Just dummies.

Everyone shows off their snapshots on the tiny little phone screen! Sad - just sad!

Thanks for the excellent "how to take a real photograph". B&H used department has excellent cameras at bargain prices! A 18-55mm zoom lens starts at $50. Body at $250.

Film is cheep - SD card for $20. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
7/6/21 11:22 p.m.

Where is that thread complaining about this guy... ha

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/7/21 9:46 a.m.

Interesting stuff.  A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a "real" camera for shooting at tracks and talked to my brother.  He has a degree in photography, shoots alot and is pretty go.  I ended up with a Canon EOS 40D and a Sigma 70-300 lens from Goodwill for like $80.  I still suck and am still figuring out all the settings but it is leaps and bound ahead of my phone.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/7/21 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Keep shooting, keep shooting. I've been at it for decades and am still learning. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/14/21 11:37 a.m.

This guy has a great youtube channel where he's building a K24 powered Ferrari 308 time attack car. Lots of DIY fabrication stuff this forum would appreciate, and unsurprisingly high quality filming.

David S. Wallens
8/8/23 1:08 p.m.

Just a bump on a useful article: How to make pretty photos of your car.

In the feature, Mike mentions off-camera flash work. I did some last night and figured I’d share. (If I can do it, anyone can do it.)

The gear: Fujifilm XT-3 with a 50mm f/2.0 lens.

Here’s the starting point. It’s okay but kinda looks like a truck parked at a gas station. I wanted that look but desired something a little less meh. 

David S. Wallens
8/8/23 1:10 p.m.

So now we’re adding two lights: a pocket-sized LED RGB video light sitting on the center console (set to red, obviously) plus a Flashpoint off-camera speed light that’s sitting about 45 degrees off the left-front headlight. It’s sitting on the ground–not ideal–and I’m rushing because I’m concerned that someone’s going to run it over.  I have a trigger on my camera. 

Still could be better but now we have something a little more exciting. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQhsMzcQhBzB4stiAr7lSKD94KLzpYgnevNIldMbRkXmdbvBMmo6uBNnCOx1r5bn