preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/22 7:30 p.m.

Pretty sure my mid-engined cars and my chem cabinet are getting these"

Blaze Cut

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/16/22 9:10 a.m.

Usually I'm the safety-conscious guy, but I don't know.  The full racing ensemble for a TNIA?  I kind of feel like that malfunction could have happened on I-75.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/22 10:29 a.m.

As somebody who just replaced oil and fuel lines in a mid engine car that gets super hot in the engine bay, this has me freaked out a little.

What heat wrap do you recommend? Something from DEI?

Also good job on the top speeds on the straight in that thing. Given the mods, that was very impressive based on my memory of these cars from years ago.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 1:32 p.m.

How most people react.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 2:32 p.m.
Jerry said:

Usually I'm the safety-conscious guy, but I don't know.  The full racing ensemble for a TNIA?  I kind of feel like that malfunction could have happened on I-75.

And yet we drive cars on I-75 with seatbelts, low-flammability interior materials, chassis designed for occupant protection from the structure of the car all the way down to the way the switchgear is designed...

Well, most of us anyway.  The rest have motorcycles, and the smart motorcyclists are decked out in safety gear smiley

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/16/22 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Dress for the crash not the ride.

There have been 5-6 stories of fires on here and two of the three biggest were track day incidents.

If you have the gear why not wear it? 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/17/22 12:21 a.m.

It has one less motor as of this evening.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/17/22 2:27 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

How most people react.

How I react when the (immediate) world is on fire:

ralph63
ralph63 New Reader
8/17/22 7:54 a.m.

glad you're OK.  Can't wait to read about the V6 swap!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/22 7:06 p.m.

There are a couple MR2 builds on this forum in the project section that might want to vulture on some of the turbo parts if that aren't going to be used. Did I miss if that stuff was going to be listed for sale?

CrashingTiger
CrashingTiger New Reader
8/17/22 11:06 p.m.

Silly stuff can cause fires.  Glad you're ok. I've had some near misses. My best one was when I was racing Baby Grands (think Legend cars but with stock car style bodies). I accidentally let the starter wire get pinched between two stainless braided oil lines. Eventually the wire rubbed through and shorted on the stainless braiding then melted through causing oil to spray everywhere. Lots of smoke and briefly shot fire everywhere but fortunately didn't keep burning. I felt really s-m-r-t when I figured out what caused it. 

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
8/17/22 11:45 p.m.
Then cops came, a scuffle ensued, and I was thankful that I had merely been involved in a car fire.

It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

Really glad that things turned out as well for you as they did, and you never know, your incident__and letting all of us be warned by it__may prevent one of your friends and readers from a worse fate.  So thank you!

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
10/13/22 6:30 p.m.

As a retired ER/Trauma doc, I have my own stories.

As a retired HPDE instructor, I can tell you that I got a lot of strange looks when I went out fully suited in underwear, hoodie, and fully quilted 3-layer suit on a hot day with a D-Student..   Take a look at how long each layer will protect you in a fire ;  about 10 seconds IIRC.

Indeed, at VIR in July, I had heat exhaustion one time.   That's when I  decided to become the class room instructor...air-conditioning!

For my car, I got a cool-vest and fan.  Studies with cooled vs cooked F1 drivers showed big increases in lap times in the cooled driver group.

If you overclock your CPU on your computer, you need extra cooling.

Ditto for your brain.

But NEVER compromise fire safety.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nkG4oqi3ODs9iX3rbUUaD0MxcXhUyjOMHfRLxlPAWrIKqPCWY4pBNpE28B88hIUY