Scott Lear
Scott Lear
6/20/17 9:54 a.m.

Being able to set a fast lap right out of the box is a core part of our world. Drivers don’t have all day to get up to speed; they need to get out there and do it now.

Fortunately, Tommy Archer is here to offer some advice on how to qualify faster.

Archer has the chops to dole it …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/17 10:19 a.m.

"I’d rather do one lap in a good car than 10 laps in a bad one"

I wish I could get out of a car and say, "OK, I need to add some air here, loosen this a bit, upsize the bar..." whatever. I just kinda shrug and figure its me.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/20/17 10:37 a.m.

Like he said Tire temps,you can tell More about the car in two laps, than 10 laps of trying to figure out whats wrong

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
10/2/17 5:51 p.m.

I should add a oil temp gauge to my car, and install my transmission temp gauge. And I believe next year I am going to do my warm up lap on the curbing so I know where it is.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/17 11:20 p.m.

I have not read the rest if the article but "slowing everything down". Is somthing I have always done to up lap times this applies to both your mental state and how hard you bush the car. Smooth with a minimal amount of upsetting the car is fast. Over driving it is always slower. As for the mental part. I think that is kind of what he talks about by visualizing the track. Do this enough and you can concentrate on the driving more and the rush of information will not overload your brain a d I turn you can slow things down mentally and drive better as well as think further down the track. Not sure if that makes sense.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/17 11:40 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

"I’d rather do one lap in a good car than 10 laps in a bad one"

I wish I could get out of a car and say, "OK, I need to add some air here, loosen this a bit, upsize the bar..." whatever. I just kinda shrug and figure its me.

What you need to do is get out of the car, change something, then see what happens. Do that a few times and you'll be able to diagnose what's going on and how to fix it.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/18/18 6:44 p.m.

In my case, the car setup is usually better than the driver...lol. So I concentrate on driving the car just barely within its performance envelope and try not to make any major driving mistakes and hope for the best. Realizing that every mistake is time lost that cant be recovered...its important to be error free if possible and drive the car at the limit...both its limit, and mine. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/18/18 7:58 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I have not read the rest if the article but "slowing everything down". Is somthing I have always done to up lap times this applies to both your mental state and how hard you bush the car. Smooth with a minimal amount of upsetting the car is fast. Over driving it is always slower. As for the mental part. I think that is kind of what he talks about by visualizing the track. Do this enough and you can concentrate on the driving more and the rush of information will not overload your brain a d I turn you can slow things down mentally and drive better as well as think further down the track. Not sure if that makes sense.

I sort of do the reverse.  I overdrive my first lap and spend the rest of my laps trying to smooth it out. To the point where my last lap tends to be the fast one with it feeling like it’s my slowest one.  

What that does is I drive the race comfortable and confident that smooth yields the best time and keeps me from the red mist.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gXMbwSe2dbsIFT5zSJUHzqfgBATEzAOqvJeuwWAh9OpPG0QcVDn6kYV1iSCNrQMU