David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/22 11:39 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the June 2015 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

That first track day can be intimidating: high speeds, looming walls and the variable of traffic. Fear not. Millions before you have successfully tackled their first track days, and your friends at GRM are here to help you do the same. We come bearing lots of …

Read the rest of the story

ericstewart
ericstewart GRM+ Member
1/14/22 1:32 p.m.

Make sure your lugs are cool before you re-torque them unless you want them to twist off in your hands :-)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 4:07 p.m.

We’re fans of braided-steel brake lines. They provide a solid feel and also fend off rocks and debris. 

Not sure I would recommend these, especially to someone new, they tend to fail from the inside-out while rubber lines tend to fail from the outside-in, braided steel lines also don't tend to warn of impending failure due to wear or damage with a squishy pedal like rubber lines do. They're also relatively expensive and are more difficult to route because they're much less flexible. Uncoated ones are also more vulnerable to self-damage from dirt getting on them and will saw away at anything they touch (general problems with uncoated braided steel lines of any kind).

And after all that, the difference in pedal feel vs. rubber lines in good shape is quite minor - some on this board would argue that it's nonexistent and demand blind testing to be convinced otherwise. I've put them on one of my cars before but I think I'll stick to rubber lines in the future.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WFcEyE2tzcYXLsGBGEHkTsj2IMTXBJIB6qDmD8upfPxGSPU2fUZeEDWX1hAarzJC