JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/24/22 12:24 p.m.
feature_image

Having solved our C5 Corvette’s most recent issue–a faulty throttle body causing the ECU to freak out and go into limp mode–we thought we were back to having a 100% reliable Corvette.

“Thought” being the operative word there.

A few days after we had the throttle body issue solved, we suddenly developed a hard start problem. The engine would …

Read the rest of the story

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
3/24/22 2:13 p.m.

Definitely a case of; "Your killing me Smalls!"  wink

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
3/24/22 2:29 p.m.

Dielectric grease on everything!

I had an electrical battle a long time ago with just a click when turning the key. Replaced starter no joy. Replaced battery, good for a couple weeks then click. Replace battery and alternator for good measure. Good for a while then click. Dig into wiring to trace starter circuit and found a tiny 20 gauge wire jumping the ignition circuit that was like 10 or 12 gauge, installed by the genius tech at best buy that did my alarm, and it was barely even holding a connection. Luckily it didn't start a fire.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 4:04 p.m.
StuntmanMike said:

Dielectric grease on everything!

Including directly on the connectors, this is very important for offroad vehicles that wade through muck, but also helpful on street vehicles, especially the main battery terminals. If you don't have dielectric grease handy, vaseline can make a decent substitute - just be aware it may not play nice with some rubber/plastic bits.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/24/22 4:09 p.m.

Guess what, things haven't changed over at GM either. I just had to replace the chassis harness and body harness in a 2020 GMC Sierra with 25k miles because there was all sorts of corrosion in the big 80 pin connector between the two harnesses. Can't count how many X500 body harness to driver's door harness connectors I've replaced over the past year for water corrosion. The new half-ton diesel trucks frequently have the charge air cooler pump connector rot out before 10k miles.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 4:11 p.m.

I would  be interested in an article on the relative merits of "build 'em yourself" weatherproof connectors. Like Weatherpak vs Delphi for example. Why would I choose one over another? I can get a big starter kit for each one, where do I commit?

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
3/25/22 1:17 p.m.

Keep in mind that no matter what you call the company: Packard Electric, PED, Delphi or Aptiv its all the same .  The WeatherPack connectors are the oldest and best known sealed connector used on GM vehicles and the aftermarket.  There are limitations with the WeatherPack system due to the fairly wide center line distance of the system that yields larger sized connectors, as well as the limitations due to the size of the terminals wire crimp barrels (maximum of 12ga stranding with the correct terminals) and up to 20 Amp draw limit due to the terminal engagement contact area and the temperature rise.

Later connector systems from (whichever name you prefer use; Packard Electric, PED, Delphi or Aptiv) include the Metri-Pack units, which depending on the series, offer smaller sized connectors in the 150 Series and much higher amperage limits in the 280, 480, 630 and 800 Series connectors.

Their main competitors in sealed harness connection are from; Moldex, AMP/TE, Deutsch and Yazaki to name just a few.   

The sealed relay connector in question in this C5 is either a Delphi Metri-Pack or a TE unit.  And yes, you can buy a replacement connector seal for these relays if they are severally damaged.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5XyPMLyjzvR7G6z31aH1AIMeSDqtKqenAROZVonRhoYRTsJFpKTz0cwqQP95337T