1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/12/22 2:11 p.m.

I'm attending a track day there will I see any other GRM fellas or fellerettes?

I'll be in my Red 08 Mustang along with a buddy in his black 17 Mustang.

This will be my first outing since October 2020 and I'm super excited.  I'm rusty, the car has better brakes and a Torsen diff now, still on even older harder tires.  There will not be any records set, the plan is to get a feel for the setup changes and have fun.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
5/12/22 3:36 p.m.

are you going with CGI?  I am not able to make this event but really enjoy that group and hope to make a day or two this year.  Have fun it's a great group of folks and a fun safe track.  Don't forget to post video/photos after the day.  

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
5/12/22 3:55 p.m.

Not able to make that one. Did Taco Trackday with Gridlife last week at Gingerman and TNIA next Thursday. Maybe we will run into each other at the June TNIA. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
5/13/22 12:03 a.m.

I've instructed at CGI HPDE's for the past few years.  Due to many personal issues I don't plan on doing so this summer.

Please tell Hollie of CGI hello from Jim B.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/13/22 6:13 a.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

Yes with CGI, my buddy has run a few of their events, this will be my first with them.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/13/22 6:19 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

You were in your Fusion last time I say you at Gingerman right?   I have the June event on my calendar, hopefully I can make it.  TNiA really works for me, work a half day or more and not take up a weekend.  Someday I'll make a Gridlife event. 

My plan was to be at the TNiA next Thursday also but I have too much going on at home.  My buddy was planning on the CGI event after dropping off a motor to my house, how could I not join him.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/13/22 6:22 a.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

I will say hi for you.

All, it looks like we need to have a GRM track day somewhere.  I vote for a meet at my house followed by a Grattan track day.  This will likely not happen due to my lack of life but a fella can dream.  Or head east, Ive never been to Waterford.

Does M1 have track days?

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
5/13/22 3:01 p.m.
jimbbski said:

I've instructed at CGI HPDE's for the past few years.  Due to many personal issues I don't plan on doing so this summer.

Please tell Hollie of CGI hello from Jim B.

Jim do you by chance have a stripped MK1 RX7?  If so I think you instructed me once when I was there (red c6 corvette)

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/13/22 6:31 p.m.

Won't be at the Weds event, but have registered for the Thursday TNIA.  First time at the track, I was thinking about doing the SCCA TT Nats Tour there in July and would like to at least see the track first.  Will be in a blue Mazda3 hatch.

Slightly off topic - Ran the TNIA at Black Hawk Tuesday.  Thought the event was very well run - TNIAs have gotten pretty good, and finally having some summer weather was really nice.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
5/13/22 8:16 p.m.

I most likely won't be trackday-ing this summer, but if anyone is doing an open track day at Waterford Hills I'll come hang out and bring snacks!

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/13/22 10:48 p.m.

There will be an instructor there in a dark Purple Honda Fit named James, he's a fellow competitor in sundae cup and very good friend of Myself, Daylan C, Mazdeuce and Apex Animal.

go over and tell him Pete and Daylan from GRM forum told you to find him.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/14/22 12:44 p.m.

Will do.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
5/15/22 8:42 a.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

Won't be at the Weds event, but have registered for the Thursday TNIA.  First time at the track, I was thinking about doing the SCCA TT Nats Tour there in July and would like to at least see the track first.  Will be in a blue Mazda3 hatch.

Slightly off topic - Ran the TNIA at Black Hawk Tuesday.  Thought the event was very well run - TNIAs have gotten pretty good, and finally having some summer weather was really nice.

@jwagner; I was there as well; which group were you in and what car did you drive?  I was in the intermediate group running the dark red c6 corvette.  next time I am headed to the track I'll post up here to see if any other GRM members are headed to the track.

Here is a video from my best lap of the day

theberrynator
theberrynator
5/15/22 11:48 a.m.

Gingerman is a blast. Was there last year over labor day weekend. Sadly I've since moved in the wrong direction, so no telling if/when I'll make it back.

5/16/22 11:47 p.m.

@ClearWaterMS - I ran with the advanced group in the blue Mazda3 hatch.  Lucked out and had zero traffic to contend with after the warm up lap in the first two sessions.  Skipped the third since my goal was to make sure the car was happy on track and get a clear-lap time.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/17/22 8:12 a.m.

Update:

What a great day, perfect weather, great run group and got to hang with a friend at a track all day.

My car, Sangria received a brake upgrade in the front, cooling ducts and different rear differential.  Tires are the same 2016 vintage Conti's @ 340 Tread Wear rating.

The results are a new PR of 151.14 from a previous of 154.5.  This is 99% from the Torsen, I have to completely relearn how to drive this car.   

With the limited slip the tendency on throttle was for increased push then the rear would come loose and not come back.  Now it seems any amount of throttle turns into traction.  I kept trying more throttle and earlier out of corners and in the steady sweepers of turns 7-10, no matter what I did it would just grip or rotate a bit and grip more.  New technique is all the throttle and start unwinding the wheel, TRUST that the rear will follow.  New found grip is unreal.

Had an absolute blast, it is so much fun to drive right now I'm contemplating my next tires.  200TW = Faster for sure, but will it be as much fun?  Current tire are wearing very even from side to side with the rears losing tread a touch faster than the front.  Odd because I don't do any smokey burnouts in this car.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
5/17/22 9:14 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

That is quite an improvement with the changes made. I assume that the brakes performed well with no fade during sessions?  Good to hear you had great weather and a good run group. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
5/17/22 9:18 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Nice, anything close to the 1:50 mark at Gingerman is going pretty quick, especially on rubber less sticky than 200tw

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/17/22 9:25 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

I didn't ever think about brakes or notice them, so I would say they worked well.  Easily had more power than the tires had grip and no fade.  Coming into ten a couple times I could feel them starting to lock up, it would alternate from front to back and side to side as if I had stability control, I don't.  More like just good balance front to rear.

All the cars in my run group were more capable than mine except for two.  Corvettes, GT350 Mustangs, ZL1 Camaros and stuff like that.  I passed all of them except for one C8 and kept him in my sights for two laps.   Clearly I was driving harder than them, all passing was clean and I never felt too stuck behind anyone.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/17/22 3:36 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Thanks!

I had no intention of ever besting 1:54 until I got new tires.  With hundreds of laps in a 120hp Lemons car on this track I know how to squeeze a tenth here and there.  This was in my to work and back car so not trying to put it in the grass, but it felt very stable at the 1:52-1:53 range.  After 49 laps my virtual best was 1:50.37.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
5/20/22 7:19 a.m.

Had a great time at TNIA last night at Gingerman. Was able to meet jwagner and get a shot of him in grid ready to head out on track. 

Getting more consistent 1:49's in the Miata when the track is clear. Hankook R-S4's seem very consistent from lap 1 to lap 10. Went up with two local guys I autocross with in STR class for their first track event and both did very well. Likely hooked them and we will return for the TNIA in June. 

5/21/22 1:05 a.m.

Damn, you got the side of the car that met the garage as She was pulling out early one morning to go to work...

Good to finally meet another GRM'er at en event, even though you lapped me.  ;-)   Good track, and I'll be back to sort out 7-8-9 which never got to the point of feeling "right". 

The number of breweries, cideries, and wineries in the area is amazing.  And I hear there are beaches too.  Looks like a good area to park a camper and explore for a week.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
5/29/22 4:06 p.m.

@jwagner,

By any chance; where you at the SCCA Chicago event on Friday the 27th?  I thought I saw you but when I went to the pit there was a bunch of kids running around and i didn't know what you looked like.  I was the bearded guy at the registration desk and driving the red C6 corvette.  

5/29/22 7:06 p.m.

Yep, I was in the blue Mazda3 again.  Would have liked to had the chance to say hello.  Maybe next time.

I'll be at Blackhawk tomorrow for the Midwest Council opener.  Would like to run the Miata, but I still haven't gotten around to fixing the A/C and 90+ is forecast tomorrow so the 3 gets another track day.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
5/30/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to jwagner (Forum Supporter) :

sorry about that, i'll be at all of the SCCA Chicago events this year and likely all of the blackhawk TNIA events as well.  i won't be driving at blackhawk in 2 weeks just working the event to help out but will be driving on Friday the 10th at full track for SCCA, i'll be sure to look for you this time and introduce myself.  

Have fun at blackhawk today and stay hydrated.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rdBGl4yHp2qwlcdFwf6JwdeE5WTbD5CpEQLwUgXnznHgsgMLRKukzLfh89cSSen0