Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/15/23 11:05 a.m.
feature_image

Toyota announced today that its liquid hydrogen-powered ORC Rookie GR Corolla H2 Concept will not be competing in round 1 of the ENEOS Super Taikyu Series 2023 at Suzuka this weekend following a vehicle fire during a test session:

During a private test run at Fuji International Speedway on March 8, a vehicle fire occurred due to a hydrogen leak from …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/15/23 11:23 a.m.

It's a bummer for sure, but I'm just glad that the fail-safe worked as intended.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/23 2:08 p.m.

So the problem isn't that it was liquid H2 in the tank, the problem was simply that it was H2 of any sort. H2 is really, really, really, really difficult to keep from leaking because it's a tiny molecule. And when it leaks, it loves to party.

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
3/15/23 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In a previous life, I built CNG (larger molecule than H2) vehicles, and even they were tough to keep leak-free. We had vendors that would test their sub-assemblies with nitrogen (even larger moleclue) before shipping to us, and we would have to re-check everything before installing. 

Couple the small molecule size and wide combustiblity range (4-74 percent) of hydrogen, and things can get very burn-ey very fast. 

Keith Tanner
3/15/23 2:35 p.m.

In reply to thewheelman :

And the high vibration environment of a car, just for fun.

gsettle
gsettle New Reader
3/15/23 2:39 p.m.

Wonder what kind of fittings/hose/ piping they used in that car?

My go to is Russell laugh

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/15/23 2:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to thewheelman :

And the high vibration environment of a car, just for fun.

and it's a 3 cylinder on top of that

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/23 4:01 p.m.

Hindenburg jokes in 5, 4, 3....

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
3/15/23 4:12 p.m.

In reply to gsettle :

In my time, we really wanted to use JIC/AN fittings, but because we used stainless steel there were lots of issues with galling. In practice, face seal and compression fittings are where it's at for gaseous fuels, especially on the high pressure side. Honestly, even pipe thread works better at high pressure than JIC/AN. Low pressure is a different story; just about anything works. We used lots of cool russel adapters when we were able to reuse factory fuel rails. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/23 9:00 p.m.

Yeah, I really don't get Toyota's infatuation with Hydrogen. 5-10,000 psi of a highly flammable substance in cars that get old, get serviced by the occasional moron, get in accidents, et cetera. I mean if the stuff was cheap to extract, it would be a little more desirable, but given that it's not......

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/23 9:30 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Hindenburg jokes in 5, 4, 3....

Oh, the humanity!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/16/23 1:15 a.m.

Actual footage:

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/16/23 10:03 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, I really don't get Toyota's infatuation with Hydrogen. 5-10,000 psi of a highly flammable substance in cars that get old, get serviced by the occasional moron, get in accidents, et cetera. I mean if the stuff was cheap to extract, it would be a little more desirable, but given that it's not......

The verdict isn't out yet if it's waaay more expensive to convert the hydrogen up to more complex molecules (ammonia, methanol, ethanol, etc) or just engineer the vehicles to deal with it.

Keith Tanner
3/16/23 11:04 a.m.

I think we've already figured out the relative costs of producing hydrogen versus ammonia, methanol, etc. The world produces industrial quantities of those already. The storage/transport/leaking problems of hydrogen aren't going to change, though.

I think the Japanese government is big on hydrogen power, and thus so is Toyota.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/16/23 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F12b8sb.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e45578a121457c408c680496fb993c12fb3b0d583efd4ae598fb561f30d35eb3&ipo=images

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mnQLKmaLEKUisu76rHP3f2EZGBCqjaFmRxmOe8epQrmV4zpuAkIf3XBwVKzBcJec