1 2 3
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/11/22 9:19 a.m.

How much camber were you able to get?  I heard for some reason (different uprights?), the DCT cars get a significant amount more front camber than the manual cars.  I'm not sure if this is the case for the Veloster as well.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 2:20 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

It is still on the stock alignment settings, I have not tried to play with it yet. 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
7/12/22 11:50 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Pitt Race! I've been drifting there for years. My friends just finished up a turbo G body Monte Carlo and would like to try it on the autocross course. Elantra looks right at home out there..

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/12/22 4:32 p.m.

I'm two months and 3200 miles into my Kona N ownership. My one gripe so far is the seats, while great for track use, suck for daily driving or long hauls. I love almost everything else about the car other than the fact I wish it had more space. Super impressed by what Hyundai has done, never thought I would buy a Korean car because of my experience with them in the past; but, this thing is a blast to thrash around.  Quality of materials is impressive, AC blows ridiculously cold, audio system is pretty good, the infotainment is by far the best on the market, and the customization of everything performance wise is incredible. 

Unfortunately I might depart with it because of the seat issue and my E36 M3ty lower back issues. I may just run with an MDX Type-S for a family truckster since it's got those nice massaging seats. 

milkman42
milkman42
8/7/22 4:08 p.m.

Hey pinchvalve,

As a fellow Pittsburgher and ex-FiST owner (I've actually had two... long story) I really enjoyed your story here!  I'm considering picking up a EN and I'd like to pick your brain a bit if you wouldn't mind.  Could you shoot me an email so we can connect offline?  chrishersh42@gmail.com 

Thanks, Chris

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/15/23 4:36 p.m.

Are things still going well with the Elantra N? My wife and I test-drove a '23 DCT car over the weekend and she's in love. If the financing lines up, we'll almost certainly bring it home. 

2/23/23 10:32 a.m.

I am a bad blogger and have not checked back in here in a while. Sorry if I missed some questions, feel free to reach out to me at pinchvalve at the Google Mail. So what have I been up to with the Elantra N? 

Well, I did attend Track Night in America, twice in fact. The first time started out well, my first session was amazing, this car was made for track duty! I left the transmission in D and just went for it. After 20 minutes, the car went into a limp-mode on the very last lap at the checkered flag. Hmmmm. I tried all of the normal cooling off stuff, though temps never spiked very high, but could not get the car to return to normal. I was convinced it was a heat issue, so I did not disconnect the battery and just went home early. The car could slowly get up to highway speeds, it just felt like the turbo was turned off. I parked it and made an appointment with the dealer. 

While waiting for my appointment, the car fixed itself and returned to normal operation after a few days. The dealer did a diagnosis (no charge, great service, nice people) and told me that the transmission was shifting at high RPM too often and the computer was worried so it shut off the fun juice. (sorry for the technical jargon there). I learned on a Veloster N forum that the default shift RPM is too high, its above the power peak so there isn't even any real value in it. Luckily, you can adjust that in the settings menu. Once I pulled 500 rpm or so out of the shift point, all was good. I returned to TNiA and ran 3 heats with zero problems. I tried the paddle shifters, but adding one more thing to think about did not improve my times. Seriously, the DSG is just so darn good, its like having an F1 driver making your gear selections for you. I was in the Novice heat due to a late sign up, so lots of passing of slower cars, while also being passed by some not-novice cars that were also out there. Totally stock, I saw no brake fade, even temps for oil, coolant and brakes, the tires wore evenly with no chunking...it was awesome. 

2/23/23 10:40 a.m.

I completed a season of Autocrossing as well. I wish I could say that this car dominates DS, but not with me behind the wheel and not with the competition I have to deal with. The GR86 and Civic Type R are both worthy competitors that bring a lot to the table. Combine that with a lot of people with jackets from Nationals in my area, and a few who could easily have one, and I was mid pack at best. But who cares, I had a blast and am learning a new platform and was happy with my progress. 

I took the car to Charlotte for the Tour, a 7 hour drive from my house. Originally I was going to be a tire warmer for a CTR, but COVID screwed that up and the EN was pressed into service at the list minute. I learned a lot about driving on a big-boy course and was somehow not DFL, so go me. The car is an amazing road-trip machine, it eats up the miles in comfort. I could see 32+ mpg in eco mode, or shave time on the unrestricted sections of I77. It hauled 4 extra tires and my gear with room to spare, Android auto kept me entertained, and the seats never got uncomfortable. 

2/23/23 11:00 a.m.

Other than that, I've just been enjoying the heck out of it. I had a full paint correction done and ceramic coating, which I should have done the day I bought it. It looks great and it's so much easier to wash and keep clean now.  

I put all season tires on the OEM wheels so that I could drive it in the other 3 seasons around here. I snagged a set of veloster wheels recently, so they will become my all season wheels and Summer tires will go back on the original wheels. 

I took the car to a few car shows as well, mostly just neighborhood meets hang out with other car people. Its still a pretty rare site on the roads around here so people were happy to ask about it and want to hear the exhaust. 

I even had the car at the world of wheels car show downtown, representing my local autocross club. I'm pretty sure it was the only Stock new car that wasn't an exotic at the show, but I got to talk about autocrossing so that was a win. 

​​​​​​​

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/23/23 9:12 p.m.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. We're already up to 350 miles on ours and my wife is loving every second of it. Legal window tint, paint correction, and ceramic coating are scheduled already.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
2/24/23 7:19 a.m.

I have been shopping for one but I am running into the dealer gouging thing. $3500-$5000 over MSRP is the best I can do so far. And I simply won't do that.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/24/23 8:25 a.m.

Man listening to the tires begging for mercy reminded me of Subaru STU days lol. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/24/23 10:44 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

I have been shopping for one but I am running into the dealer gouging thing. $3500-$5000 over MSRP is the best I can do so far. And I simply won't do that.

The dealership we used in Elizabethtown, KY had zero added markup. We had an excellent experience there, and they had another Elantra N and a Kona N on the lot. I'd be happy to send our salesman's info if you're interested. He rocked.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/23 1:03 p.m.

Any real works fuel economy data to share?  I am interested in how these stack up to my Si, the new Si, Type R and current V8 pony cars.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/24/23 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

I've found when calling a few dealers they told me they can't/won't sell out of their territory or region.  

Example; I contacted Penske Honda in Indianapolis and they wouldn't sell me a CSi cause I was too far away.  

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
2/24/23 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

Ya i would appreciate that. I live in SE Michigan and already a couple of hundred miles out in either direction with my search.  I am currently looking in Ohio so what's one more state over?  Thanks.

4/13/23 8:49 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Again, I am a bad blogger and don't check back often enough. When in Eco Mode on the highway and taking it easy, you can easily get over 30mpg. People have reported as high as 35, personally, I think 31 or 32 is about the max. When on track and really giving it the beans, I think you can achieve single digits. But around town, its in the 22 - 25 range depending on how heavy your foot is. That's better than my Fiesta. 

The only issue I have is the 12 gallon fuel tank, the same size as the Fiesta. That made sense in the tiny Fiesta, but this is a larger car and should have 16 gallons. 260 mile range sucks on road trips. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/23 9:04 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

I am surprised it doesn't use the larger Forte tank. that's 14 gallons. 

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/23 3:41 p.m.

I'm averaging around ~26.3 mpg in the city. Closer to 30-31 mpg on the highway (worth noting I don't drive on the highway too often). 6MT, SXTH tune, SXTH catted downpipe. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/14/23 4:19 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

The only issue I have is the 12 gallon fuel tank, the same size as the Fiesta. That made sense in the tiny Fiesta, but this is a larger car and should have 16 gallons. 260 mile range sucks on road trips. 

30*12 = 360 mile range on road trips?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/14/23 4:21 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

but you never run dry, figure 10 usable gallons for safety net so 300. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/14/23 4:27 p.m.

Yeah I wouldn't run it dry.  I go a little more than 300 in my soul on the same tank, and the same E36 M3ty mileage.  It definitely feels undersized by modern standards.  Not because I want to do >360 mile legs, but because I shouldn't have to stop for gas as often as I do when I'm doing crap around town.

260 miles would feel woefully inadequate.

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/23 10:06 p.m.

Picking up our 23 Performance Blue baby tomorrow night!

My gorgeous SO with impeccable taste wanted an engaging drivers car to replace her 2014 Forester. We drove a tuned manual Golf sportwagen with 4Motion, the manual N and a DSG Mk7.5 GTI with performance pack. I half heartedly asked her to consider a GR86 or an ND Miata but the sedan is going to be far more practical for her.

Cannot wait to say goodbye to the forester and pick up N tomorrow night.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/17/23 10:33 p.m.

In reply to trumant :

Jealous

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/18/23 12:08 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

30*12 = 360 mile range on road trips?

:sad face:  I'm already bothered by 12 gallons and 40 mpg for a range of 480.  That means every 3rd commute Si get a low fuel light with 1 gallon left sooner than I want.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NixsiLMxvaaWjaUhexaG8izSM5zHH5PIdBRGOaOuQZMIbPIezlLIG82FhOyBTLun