1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/21/18 10:03 a.m.

By all rights, we wouldn’t have faulted Hyundai for giving up on the Veloster. Even after the manufacturer added an optional turbocharged engine partway through the model run, the original Veloster failed to make much of an impact on the enthusiast world. Have you seen many at autocrosses, track days and club races? Exactly.

Another nail that should have sealed …

Read the rest of the story

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/21/18 11:24 a.m.

Even though you only got 40 street miles in, what was your overall impression of chassis tuning?  I'm a huge Hyundai/Kia fan...maybe not as big as Bob, but I've owned several and have been very happy with all of them.  I thought my '13 Elantra was a wonderful commuter car...except...it had some pretty poor chassis tuning.  It crashed harder over bumps than my NC Miata did (or my current G37 does), yet had significant body roll and the rear would step out in a mid-corner bump. 

I love Hyundai/Kia because they represent a hell of a bargain, dead nuts reliability, loaded with options at a great price.  This is even more true when you buy one that's 2-3 years old since they depreciate like wild.  But the chassis tuning kept me from seriously considering the Genesis sedan when I was shopping for a RWD sports sedan a few months ago.  I could live with the wonky tune for an econobox like the Elantra, but wanted something better for a fun-to-drive car.  I did get to run the little autox course Kia set up for the Stinger at SEMA last fall and was impressed, so I'm optimistic for the future.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
5/21/18 11:27 a.m.

Nice package but why do they make them look like a basking shark?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/21/18 11:32 a.m.

After our (disastrous) experience with the Sonata, I'd sooner take my chances with a VW! 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/18 11:34 a.m.

It still has too many/few doors.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/21/18 11:35 a.m.

I swore off Hyundais after the last one we had (it was an epic turd), and I've heard a lot of bad things about the last Veloster, but for some reason this one has my interest piqued. The switch to a multi-link out back is a big improvement, and I'm even liking the styling. I'll definitely toss this in the ring when it comes time to replace my current daily driver. 

aw614
aw614 New Reader
5/21/18 11:42 a.m.

I really wish we got the i30 n over the veloster...

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
5/21/18 11:45 a.m.

It's too bad because it really is an ugly car.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/18 12:19 p.m.

Could be a close fight. How close? We’re looking at tires for the Veloster right now. While the stock size is 225/45R18, the BFGoodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5 in a 245/40R18 may be the hot tip

Did they finally switch to an 18x8 rim, or are you just gonna smush the Rival onto it's 18x7.5?  otherwise I've got the hot tip on low offset 18x8's with the correct centerbore wink

David S. Wallens
5/21/18 12:23 p.m.

The turbo cars get an 18x7.5-inch wheel. Pete from BFG is our secret guest for this week's live show, so I'm sure we'll chat.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/21/18 12:24 p.m.

"Hyundai’s 1.4-liter Gamma engine"

I thought that was a 1.6 liter?

specs

David S. Wallens
5/21/18 12:25 p.m.
jstein77 said:

"Hyundai’s 1.4-liter Gamma engine"

I thought that was a 1.6 liter?

specs

Doh, that is a typo. I fix. 

Thanks, Jerry. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

Is the smaller engine with 201hp a 1.4L? Those specs match the 1.6 turbo Gamma engine, although there is also a less powerful 1.4 turbo engine.

Edit: Oh I see it's fixed now.

David S. Wallens
Wally said:

It still has too many/few doors.

Maybe?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
5/21/18 12:33 p.m.

I'd argue that these compete with the Civic Sport and not the Si.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/21/18 12:36 p.m.

Guess it's just me, but I don't find it ugly at all.  The grill isn't my favorite, but go take a peak at a Lexus and this thing will look tastefully restrained.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/18 12:39 p.m.

Yeah it's not really an ugly car, it looks OK. The 2019 model's krill grille isn't as bad as the previous model either. The non-US models have this weird beaver tooth grille:

David S. Wallens
5/21/18 12:48 p.m.

I thought that it looked cool in person. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/21/18 12:58 p.m.

Our Hyundai experience was terrific. The Veloster certainly has unique styling but I would go as far as to call it ugly. If I was shopping for a new hot hatch as a daily I would certainly drive one to see if I liked it.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
5/21/18 1:27 p.m.

The current issue of CAR has a comparison test of the Civic Type R, Focus RS, and an i30N.  The Civic got quite good marks and the Hyundai was singled out as being pretty good as a day to day driver. 

Even though the (old) Veloster is/was no i30N, I would guess that the new one will acquit itself quite well. 

sethracer
sethracer
5/21/18 1:32 p.m.

Much of that is available in the Elantra GT Sport. (In theory) Trouble is Zero availability - at least on the West Coast, with the stick.  And the Elantra GT isn't as ugly as the Veloster, either.  Oh well.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/21/18 1:37 p.m.

In reply to sethracer :

I just did a search - none here in central Florida either.

5/21/18 1:55 p.m.

The Hyundai is ok for what it is. I assume you were teasing for readers with the GTI is back statement, as this thing is not a GTI. Not even close. No comparison.  There is a lot more performance value in the GTI at its price, which is still incredibly cheap for what you get. Add in maybe 10,000 inexpensive and readily available aftermarket upgrades for every system of the GTI vs essentially zero for the Hyundai, then start looking at resale value, and it just cannot compare. Different cars, for different things, not even remotely the same.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
5/21/18 1:56 p.m.

My feelings on why this market segment is drying up has to do with utility vs sportiness. If I was looking for a daily driver for a family I'd want something larger, with better ground clearance and good gas mileage and add springs/shocks/wheel for added fun to drive.

If I wanted a car to fill the niche of being sporty and a "weekend car", I'd want something RWD. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see more CUVs that add elements of hot hatches. Mazda CX3/CX5 are good examples of that already. They can be lowered and compete with a Mazda 3, or lifted to compete with the Subaru Crosstrek. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/21/18 2:01 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

The CX3 has the same ride height as the Mazda 3. Yeah, blew my mind too and the 3 is cheaper.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FIm55AmyTROIqAt5BniwwLjSbeGs83q1f43fwM0iy9n1xJVxXUJftYRN9E68qiVt