6/16/22 12:12 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Which Publix is remodeling? 

The one that's now in my back yard.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/16/22 12:15 p.m.
Nicole Suddard said:

And not even one lot of supplies from the bakery department for me. I see how it is. (jk)

The food prep stuff went for serious bank. I had my eye on a few things and a lot of it ended up going for within about 25% of retail. There was a set of 5 mid-grade knives that retail for about $30-35 each that went for over $100. The only true bargains were in checkout lanes.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/16/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Realistically the only thing I could have used were maybe the big aluminum colanders, which would be perfect for straining pasta. All the other pans and such either came in lots too large for personal use or were cool things I already had enough of (9" cake pans, cake decorating turntable, etc.). Unless they had piping bags and tips or other fiddly cake decorating items available, which I didn't see.

octavious
octavious Dork
6/16/22 12:32 p.m.

I have nothing to add, except the summer after high school before I left for college I was a bagger at Publix. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/22 12:42 p.m.

These will work great anywhere you might otherwise put an orange cone.  Their condensed size also means they will travel well.  Sample use might be to use at the edge of downed car trailer ramps so no one trips over the low edge.   Orange cone are no longer in the $1 each range!  

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/22 12:44 p.m.

Drip trays for project cars?

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/22 12:45 p.m.

Penalty markers at a LeMons race...

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
6/16/22 12:49 p.m.

Those aluminum meat trays are a TIG welder away from $2000 Challenge glory.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/22 2:05 p.m.
John Welsh said:

These will work great anywhere you might otherwise put an orange cone.  Their condensed size also means they will travel well.  Sample use might be to use at the edge of downed car trailer ramps so no one trips over the low edge.   Orange cone are no longer in the $1 each range!  

I'm thinking with a sufficient quantity they'd be great for rallyx. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/16/22 6:00 p.m.

Success! I repaired the broken welds and straightened the top on the cheap cart. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/22 8:21 p.m.

I used to periodically type "stainless" into the Craigslist search bar. 

I scored a nice rolling cart that used to carry an EKG machine around a doctor's office. When I picked it up, they couldn't believe that anyone would want it. It rolls beautifully and is the perfect height for working on cars that are up on a lift. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/22 11:36 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Loop.

Me.

Sorta related, the magazines racks that we used in our booth for several years came from a fabric store that had either closed or was remodeling. Tim and I stopped for some Chinese food at a strip mall while en route to Mid-Ohio for the Runoffs and spied the racks by the curb. After eating, we grabbed them and threw them in the motorhome. 

My favorite shopping technique, finding it on the curb. When I was in vet school, I would borrow  a truck and drive through the apartment complexes the last week of spring semester. In the fall we'd have a yard sale. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/17/22 7:23 a.m.

I've bought so much cool stuff at auctions and closing sales. One of these days I'm going to make a bad decision about real estate like that but it hasn't happened yet. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/17/22 8:51 a.m.

I like Key Lime pie and subs from Publix, but I always seem to pay retail for them...

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/22 9:08 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Loop.

Me.

Sorta related, the magazines racks that we used in our booth for several years came from a fabric store that had either closed or was remodeling. Tim and I stopped for some Chinese food at a strip mall while en route to Mid-Ohio for the Runoffs and spied the racks by the curb. After eating, we grabbed them and threw them in the motorhome. 

My favorite shopping technique, finding it on the curb. When I was in vet school, I would borrow  a truck and drive through the apartment complexes the last week of spring semester. In the fall we'd have a yard sale. 

Life in a college town.  I don't think I've ever actually purchased a lawn chair since I moved here.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/17/22 10:16 a.m.

Industrial auctions can offer up some great deals.  I've sadly been to a few of my customers auctions over the years.

JG Pasterjak
6/18/22 12:01 p.m.

Yo Tom when are we getting together for Publix cosplay?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/18/22 3:15 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

NICE!

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
6/18/22 10:14 p.m.
dculberson said:

I've bought so much cool stuff at auctions and closing sales. One of these days I'm going to make a bad decision about real estate like that but it hasn't happened yet. 

I'd hold off at least 6 months! (speaking as someone who has bought quite a few properties at auction 5-10 years ago, and just sold most of them 6-8 wks ago)

JG Pasterjak
6/18/22 10:26 p.m.

A few highlights for the liminal space enthusiasts 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pUEL5tTghhPbPz122pXNGtifVM7LDVs4LbgOEII4dtWDi0rDHzbIwY1Bn1vEky7A