TyGistics
TyGistics New Reader
1/26/18 4:57 p.m.

1989 PAO.  It should be here in March.  Undecided on modding or just selling.  I don't think that there is much performance potential here, but Im thinking a cooler set of 4x100 wheels and a small drop.  Anyone had any experience with these "pike cars?"

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/26/18 5:17 p.m.

nice!!! Always thought those things were neat looking. Congrats!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/18 5:20 p.m.

Hows your import venture working?

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
1/26/18 5:22 p.m.

I have been in love with those since I became aware they existed. There was one local to me a few years before they were eligible for import but I never caught up with the owner to ask how.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/26/18 5:30 p.m.

In reply to TyGistics :

That is super cute. Is there a bar across the rear side window?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/18 5:36 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

The window folds down in the middle.

I want one.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/26/18 5:51 p.m.

It's better-looking than most of Nissan's current lineup, I'll give ya that.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
1/26/18 5:53 p.m.

OMG I am jealous. How much did this cost? I want a PAO (or a Figaro) but haven't started saving my nickles yet.

TyGistics
TyGistics New Reader
1/26/18 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Pretty good.  People are loving the Kei trucks.  I try to get one with every order from Japan.  I have a 93 4x4 Subaru Sambar on the way too.  

TyGistics
TyGistics New Reader
1/26/18 6:03 p.m.
TheRX7Project said:

OMG I am jealous. How much did this cost? I want a PAO (or a Figaro) but haven't started saving my nickles yet.

With shipping, using an import broker, taxes and filing fees, I will be just at 5k for the car.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/18 6:08 p.m.

To each his own, it looks like a soviet-built car for the masses to me.  Perhaps with something to show the scale, it would look cute to me.  Like this Sambar: 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/18 6:16 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

it looks like a soviet-built car for the masses to me.  

And I want all of those as well. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
1/26/18 7:16 p.m.

I think the Figaro and PAO were both basically reskinned Micras.

Patrick
1/26/18 7:42 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

I think the Figaro and PAO were both basically reskinned Micras.

I really like the shape of the figaro.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/18 9:06 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

To each his own, it looks like a soviet-built car for the masses to me.  Perhaps with something to show the scale, it would look cute to me.  Like this Sambar: 

To be fair that dude is pretty tall. I'm 5'6" and have a friend with one of these. The drip rail is about chin height on me. So yeah, they're still tiny. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/18 9:40 p.m.

I see these state side already for about 8-9K Too bad those and the all of the other little cute nissans are Autos. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/27/18 10:52 a.m.
TyGistics said:
TheRX7Project said:

With shipping, using an import broker, taxes and filing fees, I will be just at 5k for the car.

That seems pretty reasonable if it is in good shape. Given your handle, is this something that you are going to do as a business?

TyGistics
TyGistics New Reader
1/27/18 11:26 a.m.
singleslammer said:
TyGistics said:
TheRX7Project said:

That seems pretty reasonable if it is in good shape. Given your handle, is this something that you are going to do as a business?

Its more of a side business.  The profits pretty much just fund me to get more weird cars/mini trucks.  

Patrick
1/27/18 11:56 a.m.
TyGistics said:
singleslammer said:
TyGistics said:
TheRX7Project said:

Its more of a side business.  The profits pretty much just fund me to get more weird cars/mini trucks.  

I have a feeling i’ll probably help you fund something in the future.  When my new garage is built i fully expect to put an r32 and possibly a 3 rotor cosmo in it.  I have to pay off my trailers first then start saving for the garage THEN i can look for cars.  I had $ last year and was shopping an r32 gts-t, got outbid at last minute then used the $ to buy a wrx and an enclosed trailer. 

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
1/27/18 11:56 a.m.
TyGistics said:
TheRX7Project said:

Wow that's a lot cheaper than I expected.

TyGistics
TyGistics New Reader
1/27/18 12:05 p.m.
Patrick said:
TyGistics said:
singleslammer said:
TyGistics said:
TheRX7Project said:

I have a feeling i’ll probably help you fund something in the future.  When my new garage is built i fully expect to put an r32 and possibly a 3 rotor cosmo in it.  I have to pay off my trailers first then start saving for the garage THEN i can look for cars.  I had $ last year and was shopping an r32 gts-t, got outbid at last minute then used the $ to buy a wrx and an enclosed trailer. 

Nice.  I would be more than happy to help!  I was surprised how may GTS-Ts are out there still.  I guess most people pick up GTRs and forget about the little brother.  I drove one GTS-T Type M and it was spectacular.  I was genuinely surprised how quick it was.  

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/27/18 12:08 p.m.

Yea i may be in touch later this year too. Going to be getting something (hopefully) at the end of this year. Hopefully I have a good year lol

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/27/18 8:23 p.m.

I test drove a really nice one (5spd) and in retrospect we probably should have bought it. 

I loved everything about it except for the power. Here in Texas it would have been out of its comfort zone pretty often on the open highway. Felt like 'most of it' trying to maintain 70mph and acceleration definitely wasn't great. But, Nissan did put a super+turbo version of that engine in SOMETHING and that of course means that would become the goal if i ever bought one. The additional crazy factor is irresistible. 

Anyway, i LOVE them as far as the 5spds go. I'm fairly certain the auto would reduce the power/acceleration below (above?) my pain threshold, but that's speculation. 

Congrats on purchase!

TyGistics
TyGistics New Reader
1/27/18 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Thanks!  I am excited.  It cant be any slower than a mini truck (I hope) and I am fortunate to live within a mile of work and rarely get over 50mph.  My PAO is an auto only because the manual one they had was double the miles and had an incomplete interior. 

Desy
Desy New Reader
1/28/18 2:56 a.m.

These are really cool, and in limited supply. However, still pretty easy to get under 10K to the states from what I've seen.

They don't fetch premiums because they are not GTRs, S13s or AE86's so great deals to be had for collectors. However this is one of those cars where modding it can make or break it's value. Lowered and wheels will probably be about the most you can get away with, and not ruining it's value. Anything that's simply completely reversible with the original parts staying with the car for the next owner will be fine I think. I want to say there was something around 500 made a year for a couple of years. And they had to be special ordered through Nissan. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lQ00NQ7Em0nJZ1V0Ng0iLWcUVazQRX0tQMOV3codkN1VcWvECHnyMqma9mWIiuY8