1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/22 6:58 p.m.

Does it feel heavier with a full battery?

No joke. There's less/no regen available, so the car doesn't slow as much as it should when you lift off the accelerator. Your brain interprets it as mass. Or MY brain does, anyhow.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/22 7:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

With a heat pump, AC and heat are basically the same thing, but with a resistive heater they're two very separate systems like they are in an ICE.

Sort of.  I mean, yes, mechanically they're the same, but heat pumps have a given range over which they operate efficiently -- IIRC it's something like a 30-40F degree difference.  Having a heat pump in your EV isn't going to help all that much if it's -10F out.

...of course, it's kind of hard to test that in June. :)

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/6/22 9:53 p.m.

I still stand by my opinion that the Mach-E should have been a Lincoln.

Some might say that no one cares about the Lincoln brand, but a new swanky EV with modern Lincoln style and luxury would have been just the sort of thing to make people take notice.

I guess I just want to see Lincoln do something cool.

I wish I could afford a Mach-E... not that it matters since they're all sold out. I like the bright blue colors on them.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/7/22 1:00 a.m.

This seems like a good place to leave this picture of a Mustang:

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/7/22 9:16 a.m.

How much do you not GAF about the name because the car is excellent otherwise?

On a less snarky note, have you tried Phone As A Key and what do you think? Ford has provided the info to try it on the two I've tested and it has generally worked very well for me.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/7/22 9:42 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

??  Not sure what you are referring too?  Possibly that the prior generating of Probe was almost the 'new' Mustang back in 88

6/7/22 9:49 a.m.

As for charging issues, to charge the Tesla on a standard level 2 charger we have one of these that cost $65

It looks like the opposite part is also available to adapt a Tesla super charger to level 2 plug, inevitably to play with Tesla it costs more than the other way around at $160

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/7/22 9:58 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to aircooled :

??  Not sure what you are referring too?  Possibly that the prior generating of Probe was almost the 'new' Mustang back in 88

I am pretty sure is was the new Mustang until Ford realized, with huge consumer feedback, how stupid that was.

(updated it to make it a bit less mysterious)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/22 10:05 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

With a heat pump, AC and heat are basically the same thing, but with a resistive heater they're two very separate systems like they are in an ICE.

Sort of.  I mean, yes, mechanically they're the same, but heat pumps have a given range over which they operate efficiently -- IIRC it's something like a 30-40F degree difference.  Having a heat pump in your EV isn't going to help all that much if it's -10F out.

...of course, it's kind of hard to test that in June. :)

Ac units have the exact same issue when it gets too hot outside.

Just so happens that 80deg warmer than 70 is less common than 80deg colder.

And there are heat pumps that can work down pretty darn low. I don't know which systems and refrigerants are used in electric cars.

Keith Tanner
6/7/22 10:53 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

As for charging issues, to charge the Tesla on a standard level 2 charger we have one of these that cost $65

It looks like the opposite part is also available to adapt a Tesla super charger to level 2 plug, inevitably to play with Tesla it costs more than the other way around at $160

All Teslas come with a J1772 adapter, it's not an extra cost item. If you need another because someone in the lab lost it, they're $50 from Tesla.

Tesla doesn't sell a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter, so that's a third party piece and the vendor gets to set their own price.

Tesla is going to be adding a CCS adapter to Superchargers in the US to open up that network, so no cost there. It's unlikely the non-Tesla networks will be adding Tesla plugs, so Tesla owners will have to purchase their own CCS to Tesla adapters - they're available in some other countries right now and I have some friends who have been trialling them in the US.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/7/22 12:04 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a coworker with one.  He was commuting to DFW working once a week, spending two days in DFW, and then going back to Amarillo.  He had to go pretty far out of his way to a charging station en route.  He said Tesla superchargers were not compatible with the Mach E.  Has this been changed?  Is there a way to change it?  Other than having to detour and wait to charge, everything else he said made it seem pretty amazing.  I'm also curious how long it takes to charge one at an SAE terminal that Ford is using. 

Keith answered this one pretty well. As far as how long it takes to charge a Mach-E: It depends. I saw an 84 kw average charge speed over a 12 minute charge at a local charger starting with a 50% full battery. But apparently the car won't allow itself to be fast charged higher than 80%. 

So, roughly an hour for a charge at that particular charger? Tesla is definitely ahead of Ford here. In a perfect world with the right charger the Mach-E can charge at 150 kw, while the Tesla can charge at 250kw. 

Tom Suddard
6/7/22 12:06 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Do dealerships generally have public charging stations that are available 24/7?

Like, can you hop from Ford dealer to Ford dealer if you're planning a road trip?

In theory, yes, but I wouldn't bother. There are way more chargers in way more fun areas. I stopped and charged at the local Bass Pro Shops not because I needed to charge, but because the charger had better parking than the gas car lot.

Tom Suddard
6/7/22 12:07 p.m.
STM317 said:

Max range at normal highway speeds?

No idea--this is a big enough battery that even driving around all day and cruising at 82 mph on the highway, I didn't worry about it or think about it. At the end of the day I plugged it into the house so I could wake up with another full tank and start over again. 

Tom Suddard
6/7/22 12:09 p.m.
Berck said:

Does it creep forward when you take your foot off the brake? Can you disable this like you can on the Tesla? Does it have regenerative braking by lifting off the accelerator, or is it like a Prius where you only get regen when you press the brake pedal? And is this (like Tesla) configurable? 

All of this is configurable--I prefer driving with it imitating a traditional torque-converter automatic and handling the brake regen myself, while JG loves the one-pedal driving mode. It's just a few toggles on the touchscreen. 

Tom Suddard
6/7/22 12:10 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

How well does it do "utility" stuff?  Like folding the seats down and stuffing a bike in back?

Can you get a 2" receiver for it? (because 1 1/4" bike racks are crap).

It's just a normal SUV in this department. Big trunk. Folding seats. Lots of trailer hitches available online in both sizes. 

Tom Suddard
6/7/22 12:12 p.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

On a less snarky note, have you tried Phone As A Key and what do you think? Ford has provided the info to try it on the two I've tested and it has generally worked very well for me.

Right? I didn't try the phone as a key, but I definitely don't care about the name. 

Names are arbitrary and don't affect the driving experience. I don't understand why everybody is so worried about them.

Would you all still read the magazine if my name was Bill instead of Tom? If the answer is "Why would we care if you were named Bill?" Then why do you care that this excellent little electric SUV is named Mustang?

6/7/22 12:17 p.m.

I'd be interested in what full range reads when you get in to a full pack of electrons on a normal Florida morning after a 100% charge.  Then range left at the end of the day Vs actual miles to see how far ahead, or more likely behind, ideal you are.  I know driving the Tesla I never, ever assume more than 80% of the claimed range, and less if I'm going on the freeway, but I live in Michigan where 10 over is like 10 under in Ohio(dear) so freeway speeds are seriously non optimal from a drag point of view.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/7/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

True. A quick search on etrailer (which I should have done in the first place) shows two hitch options for the Mach-E, both with 2" receivers. The Draw-Tite version has a 350 lbs tongue weight rating which should be good for any bike racks.

I still want an EV van, tho... In my own dream world where I have plenty of time, space and money to build things, I'd get one of these and graft an E-series van body onto it.

6/7/22 12:23 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

Right? I didn't try the phone as a key, but I definitely don't care about the name. 

Names are arbitrary and don't affect the driving experience. I don't understand why everybody is so worried about them.

Would you all still read the magazine if my name was Bill instead of Tom? If the answer is "Why would we care if you were named Bill?" Then why do you care that this excellent little electric SUV is named Mustang?

Hey quit it, we know the real Bill is Gates, so stop trying to live on his coat tails by pretending to be some kind of Bill yourself.  When will Motorsport Marketing realize that we don't want their staff pretending to be something they're not, You're a Tom OK, you do Tom things, not Bill things.  I'll cancel my (opps expired) subscription if your don't sort out your naming.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/7/22 12:36 p.m.
aircooled said:

This seems like a good place to leave this picture of a Mustang:

That's a perfectly good Mazda GT. Don't know why they wanted to call it a Mustang or eventually called it a Probe.

6/7/22 1:05 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

That's a perfectly good Mazda GT. Don't know why they wanted to call it a Mustang or eventually called it a Probe.

Because some people wont buy 'Furrin cars.  And before you laugh too much, I've met people who tell my they buy GMC over Chevy as they are commercial grade and made with heavier duty frames, suspension and running gear than their Chubby siblings.  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/7/22 1:19 p.m.

I'm gonna take a run at the "Why does the name matter so much to some people?" question.

It's not the name of an individual, it's a brand that has always been attached to a specific product: a two door pony car.

Car names (in the American market, anyway) evoke an emotional connection with the car.  If the "Mustang" label is stuck on something new that doesn't seem to have much connection to the "Mustang idea" then, even if it's a great product, there won't be much emotional connection.  That matters to some people.

That's my analysis.

Also, Mustangs have always offered affordable style and performance, with special versions to cast a halo over the base trim cars.  Starting at well over $43k seems very "un-Mustang like."  The name does bug me a little bit, and I think that's why.

Keith Tanner
6/7/22 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

They're totally professional grade. It says so on all the ads.

6/7/22 1:33 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Mustangs have always offered affordable style and performance, with special versions to cast a halo over the base trim cars.  Starting at well over $43k seems very "un-Mustang like."  The name does bug me a little bit, and I think that's why.

Average new car in 1964 was $2,780 (Source)

Base Mustang MSRP in 1964 was $2,368 (Source)

So a base Mustang in 1964 started at 85% of the average transaction.

Average new vehicle in 2022 is $46,085 (Source) actually down a little from a couple of months ago.

Base Mustang Mach-E in 2022 is $43,895 (Source)

So a new Mustang Mach-E is approx. 95% of the average new car price, or 10% higher than in 1965.  Higher, but still lower than the average so not out of line with historical pricing.  And just like 'car' Mustangs, you can option this up to the GT version for more electrons, and I'll bet there's a Mach-E-Type-R or something coming in the future.

I hope it's called the Type-R, GTR or something like that just to finish off the exploding heads with perceived poor naming conventions.

P.S. I dont' want to scare you, but a new ND Miata us also cheaper in real terms than the NA was in 1989.  Shhhh

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/7/22 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Some time ago in a different thread Keith Tanner hypothesized on the resurgence of coach builders. No one has clearly laid out what Ultima is, could it be a stress bearing box that comes in various sizes? Motor and suspension bolts to the box, and add in the control pack and there’s a running vehicle. Coach builder acquires those bits from GM throws on a mini van body and you have your desired vehicle - how much will you pay?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mW05bJqqwEQIxSiUSDlCbIEhIZAdSt9440pxXgaCAuQfg42shRKHZZFdgATvH11y