1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/9/22 10:38 a.m.

Small update: I cleaned that adhesive residue from the charger.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/22 10:52 a.m.

Trust GRM to return a press car in better shape than they got it.

David S. Wallens
6/9/22 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Totally. The goo in the photo bugged me. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/22 10:54 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Small update: I cleaned that adhesive residue from the charger.

This has no specificity towards the mache but I have a hard time understanding why there hasn't been a more elegant solution to the 'charging hanging out of the gas door' design. I've only seen the audi etron version that seems a bit more seemless because it disappears inside the car. I know, first world problems, my car car looks ugly while it's charging.

David S. Wallens
6/9/22 10:56 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Don't forget that Toyota had both FWD, and RWD versions of the E90 Corolla on sale at the same time.  That's how you got the RWD GT-S (famouse AE86) being sold next too the FWD FX-16.  Even better they both used the same engine.  Even better the FWD cars were sold as Chevy Novas as well, just to help explode a few heads.

Yup, good point.

So last night I took our neighbor, another car enthusiast, for a ride (hi, Colin). As far as the Mustang name, he was like, meh, and then noted that his new Dodge Charger has four doors and not two like the original.

David S. Wallens
6/9/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

FWIW, I do like the visabile charge indicator. I can check on the car's charging status from inside the house. I know there's an app, but this is pretty simple. 

This also reminds me that I need to upgrade our infrastructure–like, charging an EV via 110v isn't the hot setup.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
6/9/22 11:18 a.m.

Do you plan to buy an EV in the near future? Copper prices are nuts. 

I just bought 50ft of 6/3 cable to run a 220V 50 amp outlet for my lathe/mill/future ev charging for $215. Total DIY install was $300. Had I done it 2 years ago it would have been half that, and if it weren't for my immediate need for power I'd put off that expense til I actually need it

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/22 11:21 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

That's a good point.  Unlike a IC car where you stand by the car and pump the gas, you leave electric cars unattended while 'refueling', right there is a temptation for the less scrupulous members of society who like to vandalize things to go around breaking off the covers.  I wonder if that's happened any place yet?

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/22 11:22 a.m.

Apropos nothing, just mild amusement, I saw my first broken down Mach-E this morning on the free way.  All I know is it wasn't a flat tire.  Not knocking the car.  Any car can have a problem, or run out of gas/electrons.  

David S. Wallens
6/9/22 11:24 a.m.

In reply to TheTallOne17 :

No, no plans to buy an EV, but I have to assume that we're going to see more of them in the press fleet. 

Our well pump is just inside the garage door. I'm wondering if the electrician can get power from there without having to run a line. 

So not am immediate need but just something to think about. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
6/9/22 11:27 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Our well pump is just inside the garage door. I'm wondering if the electrician can get power from there without having to run a line. 

When I talked to an electrician about wiring an indoor and outdoor plug off the same cable, they said they would do it only if there was a switch that would allow power to 1 outlet at a time. So you probably could, but you'd need to choose between running your well and charging at night

David S. Wallens
6/9/22 12:17 p.m.

True, good point. Last time I talked to our electician, he was booked our two weeks. 

Hmmm.

Keith Tanner
6/9/22 1:08 p.m.

Keep in mind that a big fat 220v circuit for an EV charging point looks a whoooole lot like a circuit for a welder. Who doesn't want a plug for a welder at home? 

;)

Keith Tanner
6/9/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

That's a good point.  Unlike a IC car where you stand by the car and pump the gas, you leave electric cars unattended while 'refueling', right there is a temptation for the less scrupulous members of society who like to vandalize things to go around breaking off the covers.  I wonder if that's happened any place yet?

People break off antennae and steal hood ornaments (what year do I live in?) and break mirrors for lolz. I can totally see those people breaking off a charge port cover.

I think the protruding charging handle is very functional, though, as is having a protective flap. You could have the flap slide into the body but that's going to be more complex and expensive. Maybe we need to put the charging port behind a hinged rear license plate :D

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/9/22 1:22 p.m.

So, here is a question that I have as a non EV owner but a potential future owner.  

The hotels all around me have a charger or two.  That seems great for long distance travel.  The question I have is...  On my cross country drive, if I arrive at my hotel late, I can plug in and awake to a fully charged car...great.  But, if I arrive late-late, is it possible that an EV will already be parked at the charger and then the car sits there until morning.  Am I blocked out from getting charged until those cars leave?  

Do the charger apps have some sort of way to see how long the current car has before finishing?
Do the charger apps have some sort of way to ping/wake/alarm the current owner who may be sleeping in their room?  

How is "waiting in line" handled by the charging apps if there is no other charger in the immediate area?  

David S. Wallens
6/9/22 1:37 p.m.

I'd all be for putting the charge ports behind the license plates.

Seriously, how hard to have two ports on one car so you'd have more access options? 

David S. Wallens
6/9/22 1:41 p.m.

So, the e-Mustang just went home. I talked to the driver a bit. He's heading straight to their HQ in South Florida, so about 230 miles from here. 

The Mustang was 94% charged–I know, I need 220v–so just about enough juice to get home.

But he seemed to have it all planned out:  where to stop, where to charge, and how long it would take. (TL;DR: He wasn't concerned at all as he'd just need to refuel just a bit to get home.)

Keith Tanner
6/9/22 1:55 p.m.
John Welsh said:

So, here is a question that I have as a non EV owner but a potential future owner.  

The hotels all around me have a charger or two.  That seems great for long distance travel.  The question I have is...  On my cross country drive, if I arrive at my hotel late, I can plug in and awake to a fully charged car...great.  But, if I arrive late-late, is it possible that an EV will already be parked at the charger and then the car sits there until morning.  Am I blocked out from getting charged until those cars leave?  

Do the charger apps have some sort of way to see how long the current car has before finishing?
Do the charger apps have some sort of way to ping/wake/alarm the current owner who may be sleeping in their room?  

How is "waiting in line" handled by the charging apps if there is no other charger in the immediate area?  

From the Tesla viewpoint, things may be different with other vehicles:

- if you're not plugged in, you don't charge. There's not much way around that and of course it's possible you'd be blocked out overnight by someone who arrived earlier. In that case, you pretend you have a gas car and you make a high speed charging stop before you hit the road. Hopefully hotels will keep adding chargers in response to customer need. It's like traveling with a trailer and trying to find parking in a hotel lot, if you're too late you're probably SOL.

- the Tesla app definitely tells you how fast you're charging and how long it will take to get to your desired charging level. If you're mid-trip, it'll tell you how long you have to wait until you have enough range to get to the next stop. If you're not, it'll tell you how long until it's full.

- The Tesla app will tell you if the car is done charging mid-trip, it doesn't alert you if you don't have a destination programmed in. High speed chargers will often assess an idle fee once you're fully charged (it's not a parking spot, get out of here!) and you do get alerted about that. Destination chargers such as those at hotels usually do not have idle fees, but there's no technical reason they couldn't. Not sure how many people would appreciate a 3 am wake up call from their car telling them it needed to be moved though.

- the app isn't responsible for scheduling charging times for all cars, if there is a line it works exactly like a line at a gas station. The app will have you stop at a different high speed charger if one isn't available - it's actually quite flexible. Only once have I encountered a wait, and that was because 3 out of 8 chargers at a particular location were broken or blocked and the network didn't know it. Normally the availability is indicated.

When we're traveling, we'll often decide to stop at a charger that wasn't originally one of our programming charging stops. This could be because we know the charger in Beaver, UT has a Dairy Queen or because we have to pee or there's a good restaurant in Idaho Springs, CO or because we just want to stop. The car will adjust the rest of the trip accordingly, and it usually makes little or no difference to the overall trip time. This might be a little less seamless with some of the non-Tesla EVs due to the fact that they use multiple charging networks, I don't know how many of them the Ford takes into account for example. I also don't know if a CCS-capable Tesla will plan stops at non-Tesla chargers, I suspect not. Some people use A Better Trip Planner as an alternative as they think it's, well, better.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/9/22 3:09 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

(TL;DR: He wasn't concerned at all as he'd just need to refuel just a bit to get home.)

He's also probably paid by the hour.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
6/9/22 3:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Don't forget that Toyota had both FWD, and RWD versions of the E90 Corolla on sale at the same time.  That's how you got the RWD GT-S (famouse AE86) being sold next too the FWD FX-16.  Even better they both used the same engine.  Even better the FWD cars were sold as Chevy Novas as well, just to help explode a few heads.

Yup, good point.

So last night I took our neighbor, another car enthusiast, for a ride (hi, Colin). As far as the Mustang name, he was like, meh, and then noted that his new Dodge Charger has four doors and not two like the original.

While on the subject, the new Ford Maverick also is a huge departure from the original. cheeky

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/22 6:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I'd all be for putting the charge ports behind the license plates.

Seriously, how hard to have two ports on one car so you'd have more access options? 

Just have your electrician run a line back there. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/22 7:49 p.m.

I wonder if part of the reason for the charger hanging out of the side of the car is some prevention to keep you from driving off plugged in. I'm sure some people will do it- people still do it at fuel stations from time to time. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/22 7:50 p.m.

Actually- I just thought about it and the car probably won't go into drive until you unplug. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/22 10:42 p.m.

When we're traveling, we'll often decide to stop at a charger that wasn't originally one of our programming charging stops. This could be because we know the charger in Beaver, UT has a Dairy Queen or because we have to pee or there's a good restaurant in Idaho Springs, CO or because we just want to stop. The car will adjust the rest of the trip accordingly, and it usually makes little or no difference to the overall trip time. This might be a little less seamless with some of the non-Tesla EVs due to the fact that they use multiple charging networks, I don't know how many of them the Ford takes into account for example. I also don't know if a CCS-capable Tesla will plan stops at non-Tesla chargers, I suspect not. Some people use A Better Trip Planner as an alternative as they think it's, well, better.

Yes, I'm taking notes =)

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/22 10:50 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

OK. So they do have a Shelby version...

YARG!! I *want* to be chill about it but I cannot help but get annoyed at the mustang thing still. Oh well, I also dated a girl who annoyed me so much because she didn't pronounce her name per the spelling but per her own pronounciation. I guess it's a personality thing more than anything.

/rant

/opinion doesn't matter anyway, I don't buy new

/let the dead horse rest in peace  ..no pun intended.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c0BGtc95XJO1QI6K97mDMPGaFkRDhvrf9nkmPoA5gSRBndxm0LPTeAx4ISPCH3Mc