Steve
Steve New Reader
4/25/21 12:29 p.m.

After getting curious about the Landcruiser/LX models from one for sale on the forum, I got to looking around locally to see if there were any close by options. 

Yesterday, I made a trip out to drive model year 2000 LX470 with 300k+ miles. It was far more cosmetically a mess than I anticipated (still amazes me that people don't clean a car before showing it), but it drove very well. I passed, with not a lot of time at home (toddler), I didn't really feel like I needed to clean up someone else's crumbs. 

I hadn't driven one before, and now, I get it. I think I read somewhere it's like driving a bank vault. That's the best description I can possibly imagine. They're also priced like a bank vault too, with the cash still inside. 

Two questions for the hive:

1. Is there anything out there that is 80% of the vehicle, for less cost, and that isn't as rare as hen's teeth? 

2. Mentally, I don't believe I will be able to spend 20k on a 20 year old truck. So do I bite the bullet and spend some clean up time on a less tidy option? I think it's a situation of me changing my expectations if I want to get behind the wheel of one of these things.

80sFast
80sFast Reader
4/25/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Steve :

A v8 4Runner or Gx would be the 80% of a land cruiser solution. They are marketed as Land Cruiser Prados else where in the world. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/25/21 5:02 p.m.

What exactly is it that makes them so endearing to people? Just curious why there a serious market for 20 year old yotas.

Is there something radical with their offroad capabilities or do they just have that safari look?

80sFast
80sFast Reader
4/25/21 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Cruisers are usually near the top in terms of off-road capabilities when compared to vehicles of similar vintage. But what generally sets them apart is their durability and reliability. In these two areas cruisers are heads and shoulders above their competitors. I think the margins of quality and capability has narrowed significantly over the last 10-15 years, but anything pre 2000ish it's not even close.  

also they sexy

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/25/21 6:22 p.m.

Yes. That is sexy.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/25/21 10:43 p.m.

Try out a sequoia. Remarkably nice to drive and be in. Quieter than my wife's gx460. 

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) HalfDork
4/25/21 10:57 p.m.

I've been shopping these sort of rigs as well, but haven't found the GX470s or V8 4Runners to be significantly cheaper - maybe 10-15k around here but the 10K options are very high mileage and usually a bit rough.  LX470s are 20-25k, unless you go for an old one (early 2000s) when you can get them for 15k or 10k for a really beat one.  

Not really the same vehicle but i'm half tempted to get an early 200s 2500 Suburban and solid axle swap it instead.  Because if I can't have an LX470 I need to at least have 37s, right?

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/26/21 7:44 a.m.

Prices for all of these are on the move.  Besides the cult following any older Toyota 4 wheel drive will have, they just work and if the rust holds off will last a really really long time.  The 4.7 V8 is a legend of an engine.  Super smooth and reliable but thirsty.  I don't think in the past 20 years I have not had either a 4runner or Land Cruiser in my driveway.

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/26/21 8:23 a.m.

They're popular because they're just easy.  Easy to own and easy to live with every day.  Comfortable to use as an everyday car, even though they have good off-road capability.  Bang for the buck, a Sequoia makes much more sense, but it doesn't have the same presence as a LX470 or Land Cruiser.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/26/21 8:32 a.m.

Counterpoint-I used the lx470 as a tow vehicle for the 2019 challenge and it was mostly meh. For the amount these are fetching I wanted a special vehicle and it just wasn't that. Somebody did try to buy it from me at the challenge though!

What will you be using it for and what other "trucks" have you tried?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/26/21 8:43 a.m.

Drove my friends 100 series.  Granted it was firmly in the "beater" category as far as interior/exterior but I wasn't all that impressed with the way it drove.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/26/21 9:46 a.m.
grover said:

Try out a sequoia. Remarkably nice to drive and be in. Quieter than my wife's gx460. 

Yes, this. Look for a first gen Sequoia Limited. My 2001 Sequoia Limited has heated seats, rear a/c, sunroof, roll down hatch glass, folding mirrors, an a/c vent that points at the crotch, and very easy to work on. Plus they are very reasonably priced. 

The Sequoia community is "ok" at best though. It seems to have all of the worst of Tacoma groups and people aren't always super helpful; but, you can find great write-ups and how-tos on YouTube. 

I just knocked out the t-belt, power steering pump, alternator, upper control arms, lower ball joints, and new struts/springs up front fairly easily. Should be good to go for another 200k miles (well 90k for the t-belt). 

Steve
Steve New Reader
4/26/21 10:14 a.m.

I'll have to get behind the wheel of a Sequoia and see how it feels. I'm immediately turned off by that era of Toyota interior, but maybe that is something I can deal with. I personally don't really enjoy the way they look on the outside either, but it could grow on me I suppose. For the same 100 chassis money, you can definitely fetch a really nice one though. They seem physically larger as well, but maybe that's an optical illusion.

Someone asked what the big deal is with the LX/Cruisers, a few months ago I was asking the same thing. I had always lusted after them being a Toyota guy, but knew they were made of unobtanium and my reptile brain couldn't process paying so much for something so old and with so many miles. My needs changed and I really started looking hard at SUV's, real ones, and while they are few and far between, there are a few cheaper ones out there. I did a lot of reading, a lot of comparisons, and figured the best way to see if it was a fit was to just drive one.

In general, the way I look at it is that the things are designed to have the E36 M3 kicked out of them. They are overbuilt, heavy, and as reliable as gravity. But, they are quiet, comfortable, and have driver visibility that has to be experienced to be believed. So, for someone who wants a capable USFS hauler, mountain bike shuttler, and daycare cruiser, who also doesn't commute far, it seems like a great fit. Combine that with the steadily increasing value, it could easily be one of those vehicles that pays you to own it.

Also, I like the look, it's a handsome vehicle, one that I don't think will ever really go out of style. Which is something.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/21 10:20 a.m.

I'll say that I personally don't like the 1st gen sequoia, the interior kills it for me.  early 2nd gen is the sweet spot.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/26/21 2:03 p.m.
grover said:

I'll say that I personally don't like the 1st gen sequoia, the interior kills it for me.  early 2nd gen is the sweet spot.  

It's a comfortable place to put my ass, has lots of cupholders, and an A/C vent for my nether region. The latter being very imporant in Texas/Florida where it spends a lot of its time. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G7BhAvBcmCNYEymaT717CDGKtLryYUZFKgTkHPyFoHrww7bUxBuJc4dEFHCQlx4o