1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/18 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

There are 5, 7/8" Wej-it anchors on each column. 

Toyman01
9/9/18 1:13 p.m.

This morning I put the G35 in the air and replaced the drivers side wheel bearing. 4' in the air made a easy job even easier. I officially love this thing. 

I did make a bit of an error. I think I put it a little too close to the shop. I should have mounted it on the other side of a expansion joint. As it is now, I only have about 24" between the bumper and the shop wall on the G35. Anything bigger is just going to be worse. For now we will just see how much of a problem it is. If it's too much, I'll order another set of anchors and move it. 

If you have a place to mount it, I recommend getting one. 

I'll report back if there are any issues in the future. 

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/18 1:25 p.m.

First thing I put up was my Lincoln Navigator, curb weight 5995lbs. Handled it like a champ.

I'd be cautious with the anchors outside about stuff getting into the anchor holes.

With a lot of aid from a friend I just finished swapping the oil pan on my wife's BMW 335xi. It would have been nearly impossible without the lift.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/9/18 1:33 p.m.

Should be easy to grab a handful of bolts from the hardware store to fill the holes when the lift is out. If exposed heads are a no go then chop the heads off and slit them for a flush mount screwdriver removal. 

Toyman01
9/9/18 1:52 p.m.

My plan is bolts with rubber washers to keep the crap out of the anchors. That and I'll blow them out with air before installing the bolts. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
9/9/18 3:13 p.m.

I'd probably fill the anchors with marine grade grease before I screwed in the bolts, but I have to worry about water getting in and freezing and you probably don't. 

Toyman01
1/19/20 8:18 a.m.

So after almost a year and a half, this thing has been worth every penny spent. Put it in the strongly recommend column.

I did mount it too close to the shop though. There is only an inch between the shop and the back bumper of the P71. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/20 8:36 a.m.

If both shop and lift are plumb, an inch isn't a problem. 

cheeky

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/19/20 3:54 p.m.

Forgive my ignorance, was anything special needed for the concrete? I'm guessing not judging from the pictures but I'm guessing there is a least a minimum thickness required?

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/19/20 5:23 p.m.

Nevermind, found my answer and I'm now dreaming of lifts. 

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
1/19/20 7:06 p.m.

Sort of wish I held out for the M6 but I couldn't pass up the massive sale on the MaxJax when I bought it. Do you have problems with uneven lifting? No matter how many times I follow their bleed procedure there's always an offset. 

Toyman01
1/19/20 7:39 p.m.

Occasionally it will be off an inch or so at the top of the stroke. Setting it down on the locks evens everything back up. It's never been off enough to worry me though. 

Load testing this afternoon. The lift is rated at 6000 pounds. This is the heaviest vehicle yet. 2002 Suburban 4wd, 5200 pounds. 

Still strongly recommended.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/2/20 5:04 p.m.

One day.   One day.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/2/20 5:37 p.m.
bluej said:

I've started finally using the little roller stool/bench/drawer thingy I got from HF and I love it. I can't fit under the maxjax w/ the ranger on the lift (ceiling limited), but I think I will be able to w/ the e30.

This guy: linky

Keep those weird captive nut things that hold the casters on - keep those tight. Loctite etc.  Somehow one of mine stripped out. If you think you can get these casters at home depot, you are mistaken, as I was. I welded the offending stripped out caster to the frame today after putting effort into doing it right.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/3/20 6:17 a.m.

Looking good. It's probably unfounded but 2 posters always make me a little nervous.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

With smaller cars it doesn't bother me at all. 

This was heavy enough to make me nervous. With this beast I got out my 12 ton jack stands just to make sure it wouldn't go all the way to the ground if something failed. I figure the Suburban was within 800 pounds of it's rated capacity. It's not the lift that makes me nervous though, It's the concrete it's bolted to. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/3/20 8:30 a.m.

FYI. A post on Garage Journal says Dannmar was acquired by somebody else (maybe Bendpack) and they are not going to honor warranties or provide support.  Hope this doesn't affect you.  

In reply to spitfirebill :

Mine is just over 2 years old at this point with zero issues so far. I dont think it will be an issue.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/3/20 9:28 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

FYI. A post on Garage Journal says Dannmar was acquired by somebody else (maybe Bendpack) and they are not going to honor warranties or provide support.  Hope this doesn't affect you.  

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that contractual obligations like warranties can't just disappear without a bankruptcy, which doesn't appear to be the case here.  Looks like Garage Equipment Supply sold the brand and product to BendPak -- GES can either continue the warranty obligations themselves or they can transfer them to BendPak as part of the sale, but they can't just evaporate.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
10/4/20 2:23 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Like you I don't remember any specifics, but it was actually a major court decision back in the 20s-30s before the Depression. Buy a company and you also buy their obligations too.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/4/20 3:14 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:
bluej said:

I've started finally using the little roller stool/bench/drawer thingy I got from HF and I love it. I can't fit under the maxjax w/ the ranger on the lift (ceiling limited), but I think I will be able to w/ the e30.

Keep those weird captive nut things that hold the casters on - keep those tight. Loctite etc.  Somehow one of mine stripped out. If you think you can get these casters at home depot, you are mistaken, as I was. I welded the offending stripped out caster to the frame today after putting effort into doing it right.

Nice if you to bump this up, I've been meaning to start a thread to ask if anyone knows of similar but better rolling tool stool options? I was thinking about starting to improve (mod) this one, but I have enough projects. Mainly, some stickier glides or latching drawers would be the biggest improvement I think. They fly open as you move around with more than a couple tools in them, and wants to tip.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/4/20 5:10 p.m.

Super jealous as I'm dropping the rear cradle out a CTS V on my back in the garage solo...

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/4/20 5:40 p.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:
Teh E36 M3 said:
bluej said:

Nice if you to bump this up, I've been meaning to start a thread to ask if anyone knows of similar but better rolling tool stool options? I was thinking about starting to improve (mod) this one, but I have enough projects. Mainly, some stickier glides or latching drawers would be the biggest improvement I think. They fly open as you move around with more than a couple tools in them, and wants to tip.

I had one from Mychanic.com but some jerk stole it when I left it outside; I live in the middle of nowhere so someone would have had to drive by, see it, turn around at the next house, come back, look around and steal it. Frustrating! Anyway, I loved it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e7Vwo6hF2cQav2yGmRMaX5RVzBCgYuCPocgRGoBnwgEFNPgm4QaHWMFB5bho0PWY