Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/22 10:09 p.m.

...unfortunately, it's for my lawnmower and it was stupid expensive.

Sadly, there was no Predator (or similar) option.sad

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/22 10:20 p.m.

Womp Womp 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/8/22 6:53 a.m.

Ended up in the same spot when my JD ate a rod (did it have oil in it?). I almost got a predator V as an upgrade but was worried I didnt have some little bits to adapt it and chickened out.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/22 7:14 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

...unfortunately, it's for my lawnmower and it was stupid expensive.

Sadly, there was no Predator (or similar) option.sad

Me too!

the old kohler courage was done after 14 years. So I'm replacing the 23hp with a 25hp Briggs. 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
3/8/22 8:48 a.m.

Our John Deere decided to kill itself, and I considered putting a Predator motor in it.  I said screw it and bought a whole new mower.  My life is so much easier now.  Should have bought it three years ago.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/8/22 9:36 a.m.

This is a Kawasaki V Twin. Harbor Freight had an engine that might have worked, but it was discontinued last year. Nobody seems to remanufacture these things. But I'm glad I didn't try to cobble something together.  The dealer said that even among Kawasakis, some won't work in my application, as they don't maintain enough voltage to keep the electric PTO engaged. 

This should be a direct drop in, and I'm going from 17 to 19 HP. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
3/8/22 10:10 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Harbor Freight had an engine that might have worked, but it was discontinued last year.

RIP vertical shaft Predators.

Northern Tool still has some workable options, but they're more expensive than the HF stuff was.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/22 6:03 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I was ready to pull the trigger on the 25hp Briggs from northern until I saw the shipping cost. $194 in shipping. Prime had the same engine for $40 more listed and free shipping so I saved $154. 

we put a new hydro in 2 years ago so all that's left mechanically is the other hydro. 

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/22 7:38 p.m.

Neighbor and I just did a resto-mod on his plow tractor. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/22/22 1:02 p.m.

I kind of expected the crate to be a little more impressive...

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/22 3:16 p.m.

Impressive cord reel you have there Woody.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
3/22/22 3:23 p.m.

17 hp to 19 hp is almost 12%.  That ain't hay.

I'll see myself out.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/22/22 3:38 p.m.

Got mine installed and running last week. 

had to order a muffler for it and replace the battery. Smooth and strong like bull. The old motor was pretty thrashed. 

23( when new, probably 15 now) to 25. Boom. Literally everything plugged in, bolted into place. Had to modify nothing. 

I have accumulated some neat things in my life, but never a Fuchs cord reel.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/22/22 8:43 p.m.
Loweguy5 (how many cars will I buy this month before my wife leaves?) said:

I have accumulated some neat things in my life, but never a Fuchs cord reel.

About ten years ago, I went to the Porsche swap meet at Hershey with the intention of buying the cheapest, rattiest, most curb rashed Fuchs wheel that I could find. I think I paid $40 for it and cleaned it up with an angle grinder. I wouldn't run it on a car, but it looks really good. I left the faded spokes that way intentionally. I made the base out of cedar and mahogany and used brass bolts. It's coming with me when I sell the house. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/22/22 9:35 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Impressive cord reel you have there Woody.

The short cords hang above it on the knockoff hub from a Triumph TR-4. This was one of my Corona Timekiller projects early in the pandemic. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/23/22 7:19 a.m.

And now, back to the crate engine:

I drove it out from the barn and backed up onto ramps under the power of the old engine, which still fires right up and runs nicely, it's just leaking oil at an alarming rate.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/23/22 8:18 a.m.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/23/22 8:53 a.m.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
5/19/22 6:45 p.m.

Update:

I think I've mowed with this about six times now and, no surprise, it works flawlessly. There's no electric start and pulling it is a little harder because of the extra 80cc's, two ponies, and all the compression, but that's a fair trade. The mower isn't any faster, because it's a hydro, but it never bogs down on the hills anymore. In all fairness, the old one only started bogging down as it started to get up there in age. The machine was never slow.  

I haven't decided what to do with the old engine yet. I'm not really motivated to tear into it. I bought about $100 worth of gaskets for it last year, but they took a couple of months to arrive due to supply side delays. That was back when I just thought it was an oil leak, so I don't remember if I ordered head gaskets or not. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
5/20/22 9:02 a.m.

Does the electric starter from the old engine fit the new guy?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
5/20/22 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

The old one didn't have electric start either. I could have gotten it for the new engine, but it would have taken time and effort to fabricate some stuff and the budget was already maxed out to begin with. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xniNerOPRcLM354L4qUrTFib9dgUTDvGfMkCMJiunPeissHyecwoye1yH1eAdN9M