1 2
adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/20 4:14 p.m.

For those that have run at Gratton, how does it compare? It's on my shortlist along with Tremblant, Road Atlanta and maybe now NYST as it looks like fun. I didn't get to experience Mosport from the drivers seat until after they paved the run off for turn 2 but I've seen pros go into that wall (and most of the others) around there.

Adam

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/20 5:26 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Also, what the hell does the New York Un-Safety Track look like ?!?!?

It's the Cross Bronx Expressway from 5-7pm

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/20 5:57 p.m.

I was there the day after, but not anywhere near as fast, awesome job! :)

I was chatting with the owners last year, it's a pair of brothers who are motorcycle racers. How they designed it was to pick a few of their favorite turns from the mountain roads around where they live and down in Pennsylvania, and then stitch them into a track that fit the geography of the land. so if you loved going excessively fast through mountain roads with nobody around, it's a very fun track. They said that they tried to recreate the individual turns as closely as possible. 

If your idea of fun is a large very open track made with modern super-high-speed design thought process (like COTA), you're probably not going to enjoy it.

Luckily, Palmer is my home track, I love it there, too for reference :)

AMT Motorsport
AMT Motorsport New Reader
6/20/20 5:10 a.m.

Turns out I don't know how to multi-quote on this board - sorry about that!

"The downhill at Limerock also has to be treated with a lot of respect. Lost a friend there many years back. Actually there are several places at limerock that going off is not recommended. "

Sorry to hear that. I never think about hitting the inside wall at the Downhill, just running out of road and going off on the outisde which is managable, but spinning and hitting the inside is bad.

"Yeah, I live in NY, never made my way down to NYST, but I've always heard how absolutely sketchy that place is. People pronounce the acronym as "Nasty" for a reason"

NASTY. I like that. It's worth a trip if you're close-ish.  Would I drive 3 hours to it? Not regularly.

"Is it the depth of field of the camera, because that video looks sped up"

I drive FLAT OUT and I'm in the highest run group.  Must be the depth of field though - the video is not sped up. 

"I'm guessing that was one heck of a lap, but I gave up on watching the video due to the music being distracting. Watching it with no sound was not better as then I couldn't hear the engine and tire noises.

Congrats on the lap record though. Any details on the car?"

Agreed - we made the music too hot on that one.  Here's an Unlisted Link to the lap sans music:  https://youtu.be/tyyt2YQGndI

Car is  a full effort ST2 Build, so if I get beat my only excuse is I didn't drive well enough. Hopefully if I ever get beat it's by someone with a sequential, then I can use that excuse.

380whp, 3050lbs minimum weight. Golen Racing Engines 402 stroker is very detuned to get to 380whp, but makes big torque and very flat power from 4000rpm to 6850rpm. Hoosier A7s 315/335. Penske 8300 DA Coilovers with Remote Cans. AP Radical 5000 brakes. All the aero in the catalog from AJ Harmtan. Monoball everything no rubber anywhere. 

"LOL. Mark, 'e36 m3' in that context means the S word. The commenter was not saying anything about a BMW. They were saying you were having a whole lot of fun."

Phew - glad I know what that's all about now!

"I watched the video and while the run-off is less than ideal (trees chain link fence close to the edge of the track) I didn't find it really scary. This, I'm sure, is down to my being an ex motorcycle road racer and also the driver being bang on making it look easier than it is."

It's worse in real life for some reason.  The video makes things look less scary and everyone that goes there comments "the trees are much closer in real life!" But if you're a motorcycle racer then nothing scares you anyway. I did track days on a ZX-10R for 2 seasons.  I realized after the second season that all the old time-y racers could identify themselves by how they limp through the paddock. I went down gently at Monticello and then hung up my leathers and decided to stick to four wheels.""

"Isn't driving at high speed on any track dangerous ?  That's why we have mandatory safety gear?"

Sure, but it doesn't need to be made more dangerous by having to worry about trees!  I prefer to do serious testing at NJMP where there's pretty much nothing to hit anywhere unless you have a massive catastrophic brake failure.

"I was there the day after, but not anywhere near as fast, awesome job! :)

I was chatting with the owners last year, it's a pair of brothers who are motorcycle racers. How they designed it was to pick a few of their favorite turns from the mountain roads around where they live and down in Pennsylvania, and then stitch them into a track that fit the geography of the land. so if you loved going excessively fast through mountain roads with nobody around, it's a very fun track. They said that they tried to recreate the individual turns as closely as possible. 

If your idea of fun is a large very open track made with modern super-high-speed design thought process (like COTA), you're probably not going to enjoy it.

Luckily, Palmer is my home track, I love it there, too for reference :)"

Greg seems like a cool dude - never met his brother.  I don't think he gives a crap about cars in general and that's fine too.  Palmer used to be my pick for Most Dangerous Track, but now this takes it!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/20 6:17 a.m.
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) said:

I was there the day after, but not anywhere near as fast, awesome job! :)

Interesting.  And interested.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/20/20 6:50 a.m.

I've not raced that may tracks, and most feel pretty safe, but from watching videos the final turn at Toronto makes me clinch every lap.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/20 7:51 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Are you referring to Toronto Motorsports Park? There's a good bump in the track that upsets the car soon after the apex of the final corner, if you are on it and hit it you can get the people standing on the otherside of the wall take a step back :)  I've only seen drift cars actually hit it

I've done too many laps around there at this point but we are lucky to have it and Grand Bend Motorplex within an hour and a half for cheap track time.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
6/20/20 11:32 a.m.

The NYST is also a listed airport with the FAA.

AMT Motorsport
AMT Motorsport New Reader
6/20/20 11:34 a.m.
iceracer said:

The NYST is also a listed airport with the FAA.

Yes they often schedule plane and helicopter landings in between sessions.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
akBwUqC8HSCoMAEKkSzGt5zK7flCopSxDSbAcSgHWfW1qIjvmDeLclafBMRNXF8Q