singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/1/15 8:54 a.m.

Part of me wants to go get this and hope I can take it to 400K miles but the sensible part says I am berkeleying crazy for even thinking about it. I told my wife about this and she wanted to know if I was going to go get it . Not sure she was serious.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4990079716.html

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/1/15 10:02 a.m.

Offer 2500, have an extra 500 in your back pocket..

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/1/15 10:10 a.m.

Why am I always afraid of a car for sale without interior pictures?

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
5/1/15 10:13 a.m.

Do it. That is the only option here.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/1/15 10:14 a.m.

I am more afraid of the high miles and the German heritage. If this was an asian product (I understand that doesn't exist, sadly), I wouldn't have so much worry.

Fueled - That is likely to be a little less than it would move for but I was thinking 3500.

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
5/1/15 10:36 a.m.

If it's got a recent cooling system and bushings, I say go for it! Wagons don't have subframe tear issues, 328's non turbo-non DI. What could possibly go wrong?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
5/1/15 10:52 a.m.

As an alternative, you can get a nice e46 330i for that price.

Don't understand the fascination with plasti dip...

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/1/15 11:13 a.m.

AWD wagon with 6 speed manual? I could not in good conscience tell you to not pursue that.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/1/15 11:24 a.m.

In reply to amg_rx7:

Not going to get a 330i around here for that much. At least not one that isn't falling apart with a salvage title.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/15 11:48 a.m.

That is a very rare vehicle, I would go for it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/15 12:21 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Why am I always afraid of a car for sale without interior pictures?

Debadged = run away, as well.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
5/1/15 4:11 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: Why am I always afraid of a car for sale without interior pictures?
Debadged = run away, as well.

Looks like the badges are there, just plasti-dipped over. I'd jump on it, even if it were to go terribly wrong you wouldn't be out too much.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
5/1/15 7:08 p.m.

Man, that looks like it's going to cost you another 1.5X purchase cost over the next 12 months.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/1/15 7:20 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Offer 2500, have an extra 500 in your back pocket..

This.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/15 7:25 p.m.

If it has ser if records jump on it. Friend has the auto version of that car and it is at 240k with nothing other regular maintenance.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/1/15 10:34 p.m.

Aren't those the two easiest gaskets to replace? People are so lazy these days. Or are they? Worth the drive to look at it.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/1/15 11:41 p.m.

I would be worried that it would cost an arm and a leg to get it to 300K miles. So far, dean1484 is the only one I've seen report low maintenance cost on an E90.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/2/15 8:04 a.m.

Well it has been almost a day since I emailed the guy with no response. Someone must have snagged it and the ad didn't get pulled.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/2/15 8:39 a.m.

I've found that most people that don't put their phone number in their Craigslist ads don't respond to the computer generated e-mail Craigslist creates, at least in my area.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/2/15 8:38 p.m.

Check it out, take a really close look at how brittle electrical wires and connectors are(look for any broken), take a close look at the axle shafts/boots and the axle seals, I'd count on the oil filter housing leak to be covering up one or both axle seals leaking and/or the gasket where the diff mounts to the oil pan/cross through axle housing part.

See if you can get a VIN number and check the Carfax. Call some BMW dealers in the area where the is/was previously, see what kind of service or repairs were ever done, etc.

They're nice cars, but count on the above things on high mileage stuff, plus the obvious electric water pump and thermostat failures and VANOS sensors and eccentric shaft position sensor failures. Since it needs a valve cover gasket, replace the eccentric shaft position sensor if there is any trace of oil inside the connector, at the very least replace the eccentric shaft position sensor seal while the valve cover is off if there is no oil inside the connector.

edit: PS hoses are common failures too normally at the crimped sections. Don't be surprised if those are leaking but being covered up by the oil filter housing leak(if it's REALLY bad and oily).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uUS2PlvxDX66Xg1wJbjyLdmKeAVLfvXhEAYlqpSq5eNDxu0bJnvBWOdr0zPZgjVl