1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 104
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/4/23 12:15 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/23 1:26 a.m.

In the end, this really comes down to the simple math of efficiency.   The most efficient ICE engines have an efficiency around 30%.  These are not the engines that we enthusiasts enjoy, they are the ubiquitous 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo popular in the CUVs everyone says they hate, but sell in the highest numbers.  The efficiency of a modern Tesla is near 90%, but the energy must come from somewhere. I'm going to ignore coal because it is almost dead.  The efficiency of natural gas power plants is somewhere around 80%.  The simple math says that the centralized power plant running at 70-80% efficiency powering vehicles that transform 90% of the power they consume into power at the wheels of the vehicle is significantly more efficient than 30% efficient power plants in every vehicle that is in use today.  

At the core, that efficiency is why EVs will win in the long run.  The average person drives 40 miles a day and most EVs available today can provide that.  The future is here, right now, for the vast majority of consumers.  To me this is actually great for ICE vehicles.  I loathe the 2.0L turbo 4 with that make peak power at 5k that are omnipresent today.  The EV driving experience is so much better than those abysmal engines.  Let's save the fun engines, the ones that are 20% efficient or less.  The 911 GT3 engine, the Voodoo mustang, every flat crank Ferrari...  let's use real gas and synthetic gas in those.  Use the electrons for the drives we have to make anyway,  the shuttling the kids to practice, the commute to work.  Use the real and synth gas for the early morning mountain runs in the cars we drive for the fun,  not the commute.

Internal combustion cannot come anywhere near the efficiency of BEVs.  Neither can hydrogen fuel cells that can barely better the ICE competition.  Any talk track on the subject of EVs that doesn't compare efficiency of the platforms, is just a distraction, or intentional obfuscation of reality.  Does anyone really believe that 'wokeness' is driving Ford, GM, VAG etc to step outside their comfort zone and go all in on EVs? Anyone think the state of California and the EV mandate that bans ICE in 2035 but allows Hybrids is driving the manufacturers into EVs?  Tesla has proven that EVs are a viable product.  The efficiency advantage is the extinction event for most internal combustion.  It's why EVs powered by coal generated electricty are still more efficient than gasoline engines.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/4/23 1:27 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Erich
Erich UberDork
2/4/23 7:53 a.m.

i ain't reading all that

i'm happy for you tho

or sorry that happened

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/4/23 8:57 a.m.

Is that the grm version of time cube?

https://timecube.2enp.com

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/4/23 9:59 a.m.
mattm said:

In the end, this really comes down to the simple math of efficiency.   The most efficient ICE engines have an efficiency around 30%.  These are not the engines that we enthusiasts enjoy, they are the ubiquitous 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo popular in the CUVs everyone says they hate, but sell in the highest numbers.  The efficiency of a modern Tesla is near 90%, but the energy must come from somewhere. I'm going to ignore coal because it is almost dead.  The efficiency of natural gas power plants is somewhere around 80%.  The simple math says that the centralized power plant running at 70-80% efficiency powering vehicles that transform 90% of the power they consume into power at the wheels of the vehicle is significantly more efficient than 30% efficient power plants in every vehicle that is in use today.  

At the core, that efficiency is why EVs will win in the long run.  The average person drives 40 miles a day and most EVs available today can provide that.  The future is here, right now, for the vast majority of consumers.  To me this is actually great for ICE vehicles.  I loathe the 2.0L turbo 4 with that make peak power at 5k that are omnipresent today.  The EV driving experience is so much better than those abysmal engines.  Let's save the fun engines, the ones that are 20% efficient or less.  The 911 GT3 engine, the Voodoo mustang, every flat crank Ferrari...  let's use real gas and synthetic gas in those.  Use the electrons for the drives we have to make anyway,  the shuttling the kids to practice, the commute to work.  Use the real and synth gas for the early morning mountain runs in the cars we drive for the fun,  not the commute.

Internal combustion cannot come anywhere near the efficiency of BEVs.  Neither can hydrogen fuel cells that can barely better the ICE competition.  Any talk track on the subject of EVs that doesn't compare efficiency of the platforms, is just a distraction, or intentional obfuscation of reality.  Does anyone really believe that 'wokeness' is driving Ford, GM, VAG etc to step outside their comfort zone and go all in on EVs? Anyone think the state of California and the EV mandate that bans ICE in 2035 but allows Hybrids is driving the manufacturers into EVs?  Tesla has proven that EVs are a viable product.  The efficiency advantage is the extinction event for most internal combustion.  It's why EVs powered by coal generated electricty are still more efficient than gasoline engines.  

You have it right.   It's not about politics.  Or the survival of the oil companies.  Pure and simple it's survival of the middle class.  We need efficient  vehicles.  Careful about our money  and time.  
    Time because we only have so much to live our lives.  And wasting time to go to the gas station isn't a smart use of our time. Nor is going to the dealership for an oil change. Brake job etc.   

Then  there is the money.  A few hundred a year for electricity or a few thousand for gasoline.  That ICE is going to use around $30,000 worth of gasoline in its life time   While that EV is going to use about  $6000 ( and the smart ones will put solar or wind up and fix those costs while inflation will increase both gas and electricity accordingly.  

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/23 10:00 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

For everyone who said TLDR, my [hopefully unbiased reading of] AGS' point is that the same ppl who increased govt power/reach and taxes to fight other causes that failed to produce results now rally around this one too, so the cause itself should be suspect.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
2/4/23 10:09 a.m.

This thread should've ended after Curtis pointed out that Model As and Ts are still running and driving and haven't been replaced. The EV is just another- frequently better!- tool in the toolbox. Screaming about it is like screaming about wrenches, but SOMEHOW crusty sock culture-warriors still fall back to it like some kind of distraction.

P3PPY said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

For everyone who said TLDR, my [hopefully unbiased reading of] AGS' point is that the same ppl who increased govt power/reach and taxes to fight other causes that failed to produce results now rally around this one too, so the cause itself should be suspect. 

Oh, so it's part of the classic "All politicians are lazy/corrupt/stupid/insane so why bother" speech that ALSO fails to address what that says about the society or the established power structure? I always hate those, they always try to sound "enlightened" because of their apathy or despair about the situation because it keeps them from needing to do anything about it. They really oughta pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get to work

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/4/23 10:12 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Is that the grm version of time cube?

https://timecube.2enp.com

laugh Im dying here.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/4/23 10:18 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

So if the Prius is too small to run continuously how big would we need to go  to tow the garage effectively?  
     I know you can pee in world record time. But if you had a wife and children that 3 minute stop turns into 20 minutes. 

I don't know what the minimum weight is for a generator of those specs, but it seems likely to me that Generac has thought about it a bit.  I dug a bit more on their site and found the spec sheet for that generator without the trailer (https://legacy.genconnect.generac.com/Media/vwDoc.axd?d=a9e9199d-4035-46f7-8452-2d210ed366d5), looks like the bare generator without a trailer chassis, fuel tank, or any noise damping is 2500 pounds.  It's probably got a monster cooling system, 80 hp cars aren't generally expected to make full power without 50+ mph air flowing over them.  If you're willing to give up the idea of running the generator in the parking lot then a typical pickup cooling system should work instead.  There might also be some weight to save on the electrical side of things, since you're going to want DC instead of the precision AC waveform that a $30K generator is probably expected to put out.  I have no idea how much that would save though.

As for my wife and kids, they aren't particularly interested in going to the track with me. :)

How much of your driving time is commuting. How much is going to distant race tracks pulling the garage with you?    90-95% commuting?  
  So you'll buy a $70,000 truck that averages 15 mpg   For that less than 5% of your life?   
     Spend $3000 traveling 12,000 miles when you could do it for $300?  
  Then the time thief a 10 minute gas stop  is 40 stops  so over 6 hours at the gas station and add another 2  hours for oil changes.   That's a whole working day!! Your truck gets from you. Every 12,000 miles. 
I'll bet you could plug your car in and unplug it inside a minute.  That way you leave your house with a full "tank" every single day.   

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/23 10:43 a.m.
frenchyd said:

How much of your driving time is commuting. How much is going to distant race tracks pulling the garage with you?    90-95% commuting?  

Huh?  I don't commute in my truck, it's a dedicated tow vehicle.  Why would I want to drive it to work?  Even if it was an EV it's still big and  a PITA to park anywhere.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/4/23 11:04 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Huh?  I don't commute in my truck, it's a dedicated tow vehicle.  Why would I want to drive it to work?  Even if it was an EV it's still big and  a PITA to park anywhere.

In my mind, that's the right way to use most trucks.  But a large portion of people that own trucks don't use them like that.  I see a shocking number of trucks where the tailgate has probably been opened a handful of times, it's never towed anything, etc. as it's just a 1 - 2 person commuter vehicle, but they just wanted a truck for whatever reason. 

Or you get the people that can't stand the idea of owning an "old" vehicle or buying one used, so they drive the truck that's used to tow their boat around as a daily because they weren't going to buy a shiny new truck *and* a shiny new car. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/4/23 11:40 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Maybe they only want to own / maintain / insure one vehicle so they buy something that handles all their needs in one package.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/4/23 11:42 a.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to rslifkin :

Maybe they only want to own / maintain / insure one vehicle so they buy something that handles all their needs in one package.

That's a factor too.  But many of them end up significantly compromising 90% of their needs because of that simplicity or the other factors mentioned. 

Another thing I've noticed around here is that with the whole CUV craze, people are now frequently of the opinion that "cars" are bad in snow and basically useless, so you need a truck or SUV of some kind.  And many people have also become convinced that 4wd is basically a requirement if you can afford it (yet many of them would never consider buying snow tires). 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/4/23 11:46 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Thank you.   Trucks work.  That's what mine does.  Then I assume you have  a commuter car? Is it EV?  
      Besides hauling cars around and all the other chores.  I make mine commute. I'm about a year and 1/2 from complete retirement. So the wife's Honda will be the new EV. .   That's why a regular cab, short bed.  The Wifes's Honda is domestic work. Groceries, appointments,  visiting family and friends.   Actuarial has both of us taking a dirt nap inside 15 years.   Life of a car is about 20 years.  So the EV should last us well. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/23 11:58 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Then I assume you have  a commuter car? Is it EV?  

I have 5 or 6 cars, none of them are EVs.  My DD is an Audi S6, and if I had to replace it I would consider an EV.  I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on one or not -- none of the EVs currently on the market are quite what I want.  Of course, none of the gas engine cars currently on the market are quite what I want either.  That's OK, the Audi only has 43K on it so I have no plans to replace it soon.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/23 12:00 p.m.

I read it all.  I'll put it in synopsis.  Politicians lie about some things, therefore they're definitely lying about global warming, even though global warming isn't researched by politicians.  Nearly all global scientists who studied it say it's real, but because Greta Thunberg is making money it has to be fake.

It's a huge jump to conclusions without sources to back it up and it is counter to what 98% of the world's most intelligent environmental minds with multiple doctorates have studied for 60 years, but surely AGS must have more science to back it up other than "remember Al Gore," and I'll read it with care if he provides it.

Anthony, I respect your opinion, and your right to share it under the constitution, but A) this is a private, globally-accessed website with its own rules, not the street corner in DC or the US Senate floor, so the constitution doesn't apply here. and B) we don't have to tolerate your caustic words.  You're not going to change anyone's mind just like we won't change yours.  I suggest we just stick to the topic and maybe if you stopped effectively calling us idiot sheep we can have a positive debate.  If you were sitting right beside me, we'd be sharing a beverage and talking car stories.  We might disagree on things, but it doesn't make me think less of you.  This isn't about putting others down, we're just having a chat about EVs and ICEs.  Right now it's as if you're trying to tell us that 1+1=3 despite thousands of years of the finest mathematical brains in history saying it never did and never will.  Dismissing scientific theory isn't something you just do with "I did my own research."

Also, for the record, I can't recall a single time I ever downvoted anyone's post.  Not here, not on any platform, ever.  I will gladly upvote something that benefits the conversation, but downvoting is just punitive and doesn't help my own personal participation so I choose not to do it.

Come to the table, bud.  We have cookies. :)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/4/23 12:01 p.m.

I really want to keep out of this argument, but it's really interesting that the data that people only need a basic commuter car is still being used as a reason for consumption of vehicles.

Basic commuter cars have been available for decades.  How many two seat cars that get really good economy can you think of?  Or even super compact 4 seat cars of the same?

And when have those ever come close to being the sales leader?

Consumers buy what they think they need- which is why the 4 seat sedan has historically been the top selling car, and now the medium SUV has taken over that slot.  Or why the pick up has dominated new vehicle sales overall for decades.  While I've not done the math, I would wager that the year that sold the most "commuter centric" cars- the sum of all of those cars was not the same as just one model of pick up trucks.

There's no way that consumers will ever buy "commuter cars" in large enough numbers for them to be the significant market.  The best you will get is a sports car that doubles as a commuter car in terms of popularity over the long run (see the Miata).  And that will never, ever be mandated.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
2/4/23 12:21 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

No I don't like ICE.  If you weren't busy downvoting things you didn't like because it hurts your fee fees and read what I typed, you'd see I already stated in the end it will be EVs.  I also said it will take time and technology to get there.  Stiffling free speech won't get the job done. 

It says a lot about you and your politic, that this is how you respond to a friend who merely disagrees with you.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
2/4/23 12:27 p.m.
alfadriver said:

I really want to keep out of this argument, but it's really interesting that the data that people only need a basic commuter car is still being used as a reason for consumption of vehicles.

Basic commuter cars have been available for decades.  How many two seat cars that get really good economy can you think of?  Or even super compact 4 seat cars of the same?

And when have those ever come close to being the sales leader?

Consumers buy what they think they need- which is why the 4 seat sedan has historically been the top selling car, and now the medium SUV has taken over that slot.  Or why the pick up has dominated new vehicle sales overall for decades.  While I've not done the math, I would wager that the year that sold the most "commuter centric" cars- the sum of all of those cars was not the same as just one model of pick up trucks.

There's no way that consumers will ever buy "commuter cars" in large enough numbers for them to be the significant market.  The best you will get is a sports car that doubles as a commuter car in terms of popularity over the long run (see the Miata).  And that will never, ever be mandated.

+1. It's kind of funny honestly, how history repeats itself with someone new trying to make a perfect commuter only to find out after a few thousand deliveries, that what people need is almost never what they want. Had I really wanted to save the environment, I'd have gotten a job near my home and biked every day to work, which I could do- instead I wanted speed and driving ability and wanted to replace my EVO, and so I found a Model 3 on craiglist.

I see that with Trucks. Yeah, most Americans are kind of full of it when they claim they "need a truck" because "Just in case I tow something/get some furniture/explore america/whatever", but it also shows that we always want to be doing something interesting with our vehicle, not just fartin' around in a commuto-box. I think it's why the whole "Lifestyle vehicle" thing isn't simply a craze or a marketing gimmick; it's actually kinda legit for how so many Americans see trucks and SUVs now. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/4/23 12:37 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Luckily I can disagree with you without offending you.  
   An EV as a sedan is  also a commuter car. Well it can be a ICE  as well but just because of familiarity doesn't make it better.  
    A quick look at what each demands  should convince you of the logic for EV's. 
      First. Will you agree most buyers  focus primarily on costs?  Then brand, colors, features?  That gearheads are a real minority?      
   Given that,  let's assume you're going to buy a portion of the cars 20 year life? I mean how many cars have you owned for 20+ years?  ( me? Only 2) 

So 20 years of a Chevy Bolt. $28,000 minus $7500 = $20,500 electricity to run it 20 years?  $7,500   $28,000 

I'm sorry they stopped production on the Cruse in 2020  but then it was  $18,000 

plus fuel for 20 years. $28,000+  18000=  $46,000.  Plus oil changes. $1500 @50 ea

$47500 

Keep a car 10 years?  Divide number in 1/2,    5 years divide by 4. 
     Then there is your time.   What's your time worth?  
10 minutes to refuel at a gas station?  Ok I'll ignore the time it takes to drive there and back.   Over the 20 year life of an ICE.  That's over 500 trips.   88 hours of your life.  Add an hour for each oil change 

Compare  that to the minute or so it take to plug in and  unplug  plus you leave home everytime with a full tank  

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
2/4/23 1:07 p.m.
frenchyd said:

GM built the Volt and sure it's not a big pickup truck but the concept is valid. Really what would it take Ford  to turn the frunk into a generator? And the Lightening to a PHEV?

Ford did make a Plug-in Hybrid (not quite a PHEV) F150 for a while. It has some cool power output features for running tools and such. Really great setup for a lot of contractors.

I've had a Gen 1 Volt for about 8 years now, that I bought when it was a couple years old. I had an 8 year old Mazda3 at the time which was closing in on 100k miles. It was at the point a lot of cars get to where  started to need more maintenance than an oil change and set of brake pads. Work had also changed and I divided my time between 2 sites; the farther one being an hour away.

With a nudge from a coworker who owned a Volt, I put together a spreadsheet and discovered that about 80% of my weekly driving would be electric. Work has chargers at both sites which are free for employees and visitors to use, which made half of my electric driving "fuel" free to me. The other electric driving was only 25-33% the cost of driving with the range extender running. It ended up being cheaper to sell the Mazda3 and buy a used Volt; it was about a 3 year payback. And the overall maintenance and repair costs have been quite low.

A true EV with a range extender in a pickup truck (or SUV) format with towing capability would get me into a dealer showroom.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/23 1:30 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I agree with a lot of this but I think the average consumer can't see past the month, maybe the year. John Q average at the dealer isn't even looking at full life cycle cost, just monthly payments. I suspect most can't or won't even add fuel into the monthly bill to see full monthly cost, much less figure out how much electricity would cost. 
Not bagging people just my opinion on what people think about. I also think the average customer views cars as toasters, just an appliance that does a task. Can I afford the payment, does it play music, do I like the color? Sold. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/4/23 1:37 p.m.

Lazy ones will wait to have others explain it to them.  But they will pay the cost in the long run. 
      Notice I didn't get down to insurance and tires, etc. because too many variables. 
  Car plus energy to run it. EV's win.  
  Now ordinary car compared to high dollar fancy EV  car it gets tougher. Most Tesla's are in that higher dollar number but there are more and more lower cost EV's. I'm sure the long promised cheap Tesla EV will be coming.  
     Toyota and Honda  don't have pure EV's yet and probably wouldn't qualify for the $7500 tax rebate.  
       Will the first Toyota and Honda's be as good as their ICE's?  

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/23 1:49 p.m.

In 1950 us humans emitted about 6 billion tons of CO2 world wide which was the major contributor of greenhouse gasses. In 2021 we produce 37 billion tons. I'm no math whizz, but if the average yearly amount is 21.5 billion tons (judging by the straightness of the acceleration line) times 70 years, we have spewed out 1.5 trillion tons of CO2 plus all of the cow burp greenhouse gasses. There is no way that 1.5 trillion tons is not going to make an impact on our planet. My math sure could be suspect, but I don't see any data on the total tonnage. This website has an interactive chart which lists the annual amount released, it would be nice if some statistician could add them all up and give us an answer. Our World In Data.org: Global CO2 emissions from fossil fuels

Don't think that the government can't and won't step in and mandate how and which cars are sold (you buy)? I remember the gas crisis of the 70s and the rush to buy Pintos and Gremlins. I also remember the wonderful 55 mph nation wide speed limit that lasted for 21 year. Several states have already started banning the sale of ICE cars to start sometime in the near future.

The easiest way for the Gooberment to mandate what you drive is to just slap on a $5 per gallon tax on your gasoline.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
7qCH3nAyxSvowtC17rYkYksq7NEvb1g1hHcgD7LBEmAWFDaISdfi0zrhVy86rnHQ