1 2 3 4
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/10/18 10:37 p.m.

The 2019 Jimny Sierra was just introduced and I really dig the looks. It’s got a 1.5L 4-Cylinder with 100hp and 96 ft-lbs of torque. It’s also Body on Frame. Yeah, it’s pretty much an updated Samurai, but I like the Samurai. With a little more aggressive tires, this would be a fun little off-roader. 

https://newatlas.com/2019-suzuki-jimny-details/55360/

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/10/18 10:45 p.m.

That thing has been available for years and we didn't get it then, not even in Canada. Too bad, I've done some off roading with them and they're very capable. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/18 11:15 p.m.

Man, that thing is sweet. 

DocV
DocV Reader
7/10/18 11:43 p.m.

Thanks alot Consumer Reports...I would love a modern Samurai

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/11/18 12:01 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

That thing has been available for years and we didn't get it then, not even in Canada. Too bad, I've done some off roading with them and they're very capable. 

I know it’s been around forever, but it looks like this Sierra model is new and I dig it. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/11/18 6:25 a.m.

I’d buy it.  

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/11/18 6:30 a.m.

Is it even an updated Samurai, or just new badges?  Not that it's a bad thing, I thought the old Samurai was cool.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/11/18 6:32 a.m.

Looks like a mini fj cruiser. I dig it

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/11/18 7:15 a.m.

that and the Swift would be great for a re-introduction to the US. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/11/18 7:19 a.m.

By US standards, those tires look like compact spares.  

My actual thought pattern was as I looked at the spare tire mounted on the back I wondered why did they give this car a compact spare tire and then I realized, it's not a compact spare tire (or they are all matching compact tires.)  

I doo like!  And, I really like this sand-tan color.  The only thing missing is I think the roof should be white, not black

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
7/11/18 8:03 a.m.

I would rock that

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/11/18 8:33 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You would be right to think they’re compact spares in this world of oversized wheels and rubber band tires. They are only 195/80R15 Bridgestones so they probably would look tiny compared to any modern vehicle in the US. The only thing is that if they were to have brought it to the US, it would probably either have to have a different tire size or wheel size, because that tire size is rare here in the US. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/11/18 8:53 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

205/75 Would be a direct equivalent and is a lot more common. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/11/18 9:27 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:
Suprf1y said:

I know it’s been around forever, but it looks like this Sierra model is new and I dig it. 

The Sierra name might be new but it's been the same Jimny since 90's just with a few changes/upgrades.

That one is almost identical the ones I've driven

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
7/11/18 9:29 a.m.

its like a renegade but reliable and better looking. DO WANT

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/11/18 9:29 a.m.

I looked it up. This is the Sierra from 98. Still cool trucks, I thoroughly enjoyed driving them, though  think most here would not. They are small.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
7/11/18 9:43 a.m.

I never paid enough attention to realize just how much those look like a lifted Renegade until now...Or should I say...just how much the Renegade looks like a French knock-off of those, but in typical French fashion, built all wrong.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
7/11/18 10:05 a.m.

Remarkably similar considering one is a unibody, and the result of the Fiat/Chrysler marriage while the other is BOF from an orphan brand that's better known for making motorcycles.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

Image result for tan jeep renegadeImage result for tan jeep renegade

Related image

8valve
8valve Reader
7/11/18 10:13 a.m.

Looks great.  Judging by all the huge vehicles surrounding me, I think they may be correct thinking those would not sell well.  Are they even compliant with 2018 north American crash standards?  Maybe they could partner up with another brand and sell through an existing dealer network.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/11/18 10:42 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

I looked it up. This is the Sierra from 98. Still cool trucks, I thoroughly enjoyed driving them, though  think most here would not. They are small.

Well all I know is that the Sierra has a different grille than the standard Jimny and I actually like it better. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/11/18 10:46 a.m.
STM317 said:

while the other is BOF from an orphan brand that's better known for making motorcycles

WTF does that mean?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/11/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

The Jimny Sierra is Body-On-Frame and made by a brand (Suzuki) that used to sell cars in the US but now only sells motorcycles.

I really like that. I suspect it is WAY below current crash standards and would never be allowed here except as a golf cart or aide-by-side ATV competitor. Which is a shame.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
7/11/18 10:54 a.m.
Suprf1y said:
STM317 said:

while the other is BOF from an orphan brand that's better known for making motorcycles

WTF does that mean?

"BOF" means Body On Frame

"orphan brand" means that Suzukis aren't sold in the US anymore

"better known for making motorcycles" means that if you asked a random American to name a Suzuki product they're more likely to give the name of a motorcycle than any of their cars or SUVs.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/11/18 10:56 a.m.

Suzuki is not an orphan, and probably only in the US is better known for selling motorcycles. They are a significant automotive manufacturer in most of the world and dominant in a few very large markets.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
7/11/18 10:59 a.m.

The OP is lamenting the fact that Suzukis aren't available in the US. Most posters here are American. Posting from a US-centric perspective, they're absolutely an orphan brand.

I didn't mean to offend you. I'm not trying to disparage the mighty name of Suzuki. This seems like a silly thing to get worked up about.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PPI0pGXcwj0RKy84jyFapMwfmDBI1NlZEokLwsHSAZkjwOjhYGhs4h9syJfDlLUn