1 2 3 ... 5
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/18/22 9:48 a.m.
feature_image

The Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept certainly provides the visual vibes of a muscle car. However, it won’t give you the physical vibes from a V8 Hemi. Unless, you count the Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust. That’s right, an EV with an exhaust–and also shifting.

Dodge revealed the car on Wednesday at Dodge Speed Week. The manufacturer claims the Charger offers the “industry-first …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/18/22 9:50 a.m.

I love it, but I can't be the only one who sees this:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/18/22 9:55 a.m.

God i love this. 

Even better that they brought back the 60s logo, along with a heavy dose of 68-70 charger style. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/18/22 9:58 a.m.

Wait, a two-door Charger? What's up with that? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 10:00 a.m.

Styling is cool for sure. The "exhaust" is stupid. The "transmission" doesn't do anything but make it feel like you shifted by interrupting the acceleration. It's like Dodge tried to figure out what the most pointless aspects of ICE were and then replicated them. Next they'll involve a shaker mechanism so you can feel it shake at idle.

But it's got us looking at pictures of the car and talking about it, so mission accomplished. Anyone notice it's a hatchback? That's going to be a pretty big load bay.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/22 10:02 a.m.

Fake exhaust note and the shifting are dumb (kinda like the CVTs with simulated shifts), but the styling is pretty solid.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/22 10:02 a.m.

These are the things focus groups are saying they want? Interesting.

David S. Wallens
8/18/22 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

After a certain number of years, perhaps they'll offer a plug-in so it periodically drips just a tiny bit of oil onto the ground. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/18/22 10:04 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The "exhaust" is stupid. The "transmission" doesn't do anything but make it feel like you shifted by interrupting the acceleration. It's like Dodge tried to figure out what the most pointless aspects of ICE were and then replicated them.

I think it could be fun. I haven't experience that many electric cars but those things both sound like they would make the car more enjoyable.

Keith Tanner
8/18/22 10:21 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Keith Tanner said:

The "exhaust" is stupid. The "transmission" doesn't do anything but make it feel like you shifted by interrupting the acceleration. It's like Dodge tried to figure out what the most pointless aspects of ICE were and then replicated them.

I think it could be fun. I haven't experience that many electric cars but those things both sound like they would make the car more enjoyable.

You mean "more like what's familiar". You can get breaks in the acceleration by lifting off the accelerator and pressing it down again. Since Dodge hasn't come forward with any technical information about the trans, we can't tell if it's actually doing anything other than just putting a pause in it.

There are ICE cars that have fake exhaust notes pumped into the cabin, and most enthusiasts seem to think it's a dumb idea. This one, blaring 126 dB outside the car, is aimed at the "loud pipes save lives but I'll never wear a helmet" crowd. Might as well do a Harley Davidson cross-promotion, if Harley Davidson is in business this week.

Keith Tanner
8/18/22 10:23 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

After a certain number of years, perhaps they'll offer a plug-in so it periodically drips just a tiny bit of oil onto the ground. 

They could also include a critical component that has to be readjusted on the side of the road using a matchbook occasionally so the owner can bond with the car.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
8/18/22 10:25 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Keith Tanner said:

So you're saying the "instant torque" branding isn't enough to get buyers interested? Have they tried preloading Angry Birds so drivers have something to do when they're charging? 

It's almost certainly my own lack of interest in EVs but I'm reading this as "here's some gimmicks, now buy what you didn't want"

(I know this is all snark so don't take me too seriously, my boss certainly doesn't)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/18/22 10:53 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/18/22 10:58 a.m.

I love it for a few reasons: 

-It makes similar sounds as the car in The Wraith

-The return of that cool 60's Dodge badge

-IT IS A HATCHBACK

-It angers all the same people I angered when I slapped EFI and modern ignition components on my Power Wagon

If the future is EV, sign me up for THIS future. I'll take one in black. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/18/22 11:01 a.m.
NickD said:

Fake exhaust note and the shifting are dumb (kinda like the CVTs with simulated shifts), but the styling is pretty solid.

I absolutely despise fake or electronically enhanced exhaust notes for actual ICE vehicles.  For this it's completely unforgivable.

The 'shifting', on the other hand, is just garden-variety stupid.

The styling is good and the switch from ICE to EV for performance vehicles bothers me not even a little bit... if you actually do it and don't put the fake window-dressing simulated crap in it.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/18/22 11:09 a.m.

I agree with Keith, that the fake exhaust and shifting is a stupid idea.  Sadly, based on the average car buyer's intelligence, they would probably sell a lot of them.....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/18/22 11:11 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
93EXCivic said:
Keith Tanner said:

You mean "more like what's familiar". You can get breaks in the acceleration by lifting off the accelerator and pressing it down again. Since Dodge hasn't come forward with any technical information about the trans, we can't tell if it's actually doing anything other than just putting a pause in it.

There are ICE cars that have fake exhaust notes pumped into the cabin, and most enthusiasts seem to think it's a dumb idea. This one, blaring 126 dB outside the car, is aimed at the "loud pipes save lives but I'll never wear a helmet" crowd. Might as well do a Harley Davidson cross-promotion, if Harley Davidson is in business this week.

Meh depends on how it is implemented. Personally I find electric cars I have driven pretty vanilla in feel. If this makes it make feel less like that, I am all for it but it also could easily feel gimmicky. If the "exhaust" is literally simulating a V8 noise then that is kind of lame. If it sounds like that Ford Mustang Mach E drift car, awesome. I want an electric car but I don't want it to feel like an electric car. I want it has analog as possible. Basically if it makes it more fun to drive, I don't care if it is a "gimmick".

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/18/22 11:14 a.m.

It needs downloadable sounds.  Jetson's flying car, Luke Skywalker's landspeeder or maybe the Millenium Falcon?

David S. Wallens
8/18/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

You beat me to it! I want my Charger to sound like a TIE fighter. That's your plug-in right there. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
8/18/22 11:16 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

The Fratzog has been around since 1961, first used on the '62 Polara 500, years before Gene Roddenberry even penned his first draft for Star Trek.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
8/18/22 11:19 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I love it for a few reasons: 

-It makes similar sounds as the car in The Wraith

-The return of that cool 60's Dodge badge

-IT IS A HATCHBACK

-It angers all the same people I angered when I slapped EFI and modern ignition components on my Power Wagon

If the future is EV, sign me up for THIS future. I'll take one in black. 

From what I see here, it looks like it is mostly angering EV enthusiasts.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 11:26 a.m.

Putting a gearbox on an EV can make sense - look  at the relatively low top speed of most Teslas and how acceleration on them falls off at higher speeds for a quick example of why. EV motors have an optimal RPM range just like an ICE does, it's just much wider, in the same ballpark as an ICE's entire rev range. However a gearbox adds weight, and then you need to either give up on individual wheel-motors or to go individual wheel-powertrains (meaning even more weight). 4 speeds should be plenty for an EV however.

Having a purely theatrical noisemaking system is pretty silly though, maybe they could make it push air through the EV's cooling system so it at least has a function? cheeky

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/18/22 11:28 a.m.

Roofline reminds me of the Audi A5's which I've always liked.  Looks quite good.  Car needs a set of bright silver RFP1's and tires with some sidewall.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/18/22 11:29 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Jerry :

You beat me to it! I want my Charger to sound like a TIE fighter. That's your plug-in right there. 

I'm in.

Keith Tanner
8/18/22 11:31 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Keith Tanner said:
93EXCivic said:
Keith Tanner said:

Meh depends on how it is implemented. Personally I find electric cars I have driven pretty vanilla in feel. If this makes it make feel less like that, I am all for it but it also could easily feel gimmicky. If the "exhaust" is literally simulating a V8 noise then that is kind of lame. If it sounds like that Ford Mustang Mach E drift car, awesome. I want an electric car but I don't want it to feel like an electric car. I want it has analog as possible. Basically if it makes it more fun to drive, I don't care if it is a "gimmick".

Any high power EV is going to make high power EV noises. Even a vanilla EV sedan makes a whine under full acceleration but it's probably only audible inside the car. An EV that has performance levels of a Hellcat is going to make quite audible noises when deploying. They just won't be internal combustion noises. And it's unlikely to feel very vanilla.

It's like the difference between the amount of noise a Corolla makes versus an LFA :)

Can you describe what "analog" means? I know what it means technically, but how are you using it?

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7CyY7OZ7eSE9vbkSD0Dn9DnEOk9KAtTzdb1ap4rDfrn07obCbFmxyCNvxfccjVnN