1 2 3 4 ... 7
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/1/22 9:40 a.m.

I suspect upper-$30s for core (more if you add one of the 3 available packages), more than $40k for circuit. Add in ADM for at least the first of year production. 

So maybe by 2024 you'll actually be able to get one around MSRP? 

Option Packages

GR Corolla Core Grade is available with the following packages:

• Performance package: Includes front and rear Torsen Limited Slip Differentials (LSD).
  • Technology package: Includes Premium Audio with Dynamic Navigation and JBL® w/Clari-Fi®, and Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging.
  • Cold Weather Package: Includes heated front seats and heated steering wheel.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/1/22 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

More pictures coming. The Toyota media site seemed a bit overloaded last night and wasn't totally cooperating. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/22 10:07 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I already have my flame suit on.

Good God did someone beat this thing for a weak with an ugly tree? I want my cars to be something I look back at and think "Nice.... " not look away from so I don't lose breakfast on the ground. It's like Toyota looked at the last Hype R and said "That needs more E36 M3 tacked on and more odd lines".

I know! Subtle-looking performance cars sell like hotcakes. Just look at the Mazda 3 turbo! Oh wait..... 

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/22 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I just saw some factory photos of a core in red. Much less boy racerish. No bulgy hood, regular spoiler.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/1/22 10:21 a.m.

They keep posting 6L 3cylinder. Not really 2 liters per cylinder, what does it really displace?

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
4/1/22 10:21 a.m.

I really really really want one, haven't had a desire to want a car this bad, ever. Its not a wankel and I don't care!

[Image - 113201] | Shut Up And Take My Money! | Know Your Meme

EVO rally cars are cool but complicated

Subaru rally cars are too common and I hate the engine/understeer characteristics of the cars

mazda 323 GTX? too old too fragile and not worthwhile

focus RS: huge disappointment 

golf R: never was gonna be a rally car anyways

a production like class/limited 4WD class this will do well on and I really want to turn it into a stage rally car  but don't mind breaking it in on the street and enjoying it first. it literally does check all the boxes - this doesn't happen ever.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/1/22 10:22 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

1.6 liters

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/1/22 10:40 a.m.

I opened this today, and when I saw 6L 3cyl, I assumed this was still an April Fools joke, but it was posted yesterday.

Based off the MSRP of the Focus RS, Golf R and STi, plus the fact that two out of three are either already dead or going.  I"m going for 37,999 for a base model and $42K fully loaded before the stealerships tack on a $20K market adjustment.

Side rant.  Dealers say selling direct to customers is not fare, so how is having a monopoly on who you can buy it from, then let them charge market adjustments. One wasy or the other, no cake and eating it too.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 10:45 a.m.

If this has 300hp, and the Chiron has 1200, that means they make the same HP per cylinder. The Bug is a bit more expensive though, so this is a deal at any price. 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/22 10:50 a.m.

I bet we'll see driving impression videos today. I'm really excited to see how it does on the 'ring'. imagine the hype if it bests the Civic R time... Albeit I am doubtful, depending on the weight difference with the circuit edition, I think it'll be hard to argue against the weight savings of fwd

JAdams
JAdams Reader
4/1/22 10:52 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

My thoughts exactly! I've been very close to buying a Evo 8 or 9 but have a real problem spending that kind of coin on an old used up car with a tough life.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/1/22 11:01 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

If this has 300hp, and the Chiron has 1200, that means they make the same HP per cylinder. The Bug is a bit more expensive though, so this is a deal at any price. 

More HP per cylinder, but less per liter.  Bugatti is 8 liters, 16 cylinders at 1578hp for the highest trim.  This is 1.6 liters, 3 cylinders at 300hp.  So Bugatti is 197.25 hp/liter, 98.625 per cylinder.  The Toyota is 187.5 hp/liter, but 100 per cylinder. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/1/22 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

It doesn't have to be subtle, just not the current Origami wild angles for no reason styling most of hte japanese carmakers are doing

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 11:34 a.m.
rslifkin said:
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

More HP per cylinder, but less per liter.  Bugatti is 8 liters, 16 cylinders at 1578hp for the highest trim.  This is 1.6 liters, 3 cylinders at 300hp.  So Bugatti is 197.25 hp/liter, 98.625 per cylinder.  The Toyota is 187.5 hp/liter, but 100 per cylinder. 

Mercedes had a couple fours pushing past 200hp/l or 100hp/cylinder.

Modern combustion space technology is wonderful.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/1/22 11:45 a.m.
thashane said:

I bet we'll see driving impression videos today. I'm really excited to see how it does on the 'ring'. imagine the hype if it bests the Civic R time... Albeit I am doubtful, depending on the weight difference with the circuit edition, I think it'll be hard to argue against the weight savings of fwd

The Ring is good, I am curious how it does on Welsh forest roads.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/1/22 12:04 p.m.

My 2 cents...(worth less than that but here we go)

I am happy to see any manufacturer building a car like this, even better that it isn't a hybrid/electric.

Thank you for a real manual trans!

AWD, well...at least its not FWD and the optional diffs are a good thing. Hope most of the dealers order them (should have been standard)

How long is that engine going to last? I don't see a highly stressed powerplant like that not being a maintenance nightmare. (Head gaskets, turbos, and a million little hoses and sensors. Ok, every new car is like that)

Damn, is it ever ugly! Better than the Yaris though. 

Price? I bet $39,999 to start. Car will last 2  years then plug is pulled.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/1/22 12:06 p.m.

The underhood packaging makes it look like it'll be reasonably easy to work on relative to a lot of other modern cars. Also, agreed that the Core model in red looks a bit less in-your-face.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
4/1/22 12:10 p.m.

Engine bay does look relatively accessible, until is starts burning oil. I'm currently ignoring that on my GTI, can't imagine it's any less of a headache here. 

Be nice to see it without 2 many doors, but that's just bonkers. Can we get an optional retainer to fix that massive overbite on the rear? 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/1/22 12:13 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
thashane said:

It'll never see them. While this is in the vein of old school homologation specials, it isn't really one these days.  This is the car enthusiasts want, but there's no need for Goupe A homologation specials these days, it's the base car that gets homologated and the rules tell you what you can di underneath. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/1/22 12:18 p.m.

Side rant.  Dealers say selling direct to customers is not fare, so how is having a monopoly on who you can buy it from, then let them charge market adjustments. One wasy or the other, no cake and eating it too.

Market adjustment is exactly why i didn't buy a maverick. Or srt4 new.

Gotta be a better way. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/1/22 12:51 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
thashane said:

It'll never see them. While this is in the vein of old school homologation specials, it isn't really one these days.  This is the car enthusiasts want, but there's no need for Goupe A homologation specials these days, it's the base car that gets homologated and the rules tell you what you can di underneath. 

I am sure there are plenty of unpronouncably Welsh driving enthusiasts who will take the plunge on their own time.  I am fully aware that even if there were a homologation, this car is out of spec (not enough cylinders, too large of a car, etc)

I kind of wonder now what kind of rear suspension it has. Beam axle, multilink, A frame, struts, other?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/22 1:01 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I kind of wonder now what kind of rear suspension it has. Beam axle, multilink, A frame, struts, other?

front is McPherson, rear is multi-link double wishbone

Brakes: 14.0x 4 piston fronts, 11.7x2 piston rears

235/40/18's at al four corners

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 1:01 p.m.

From what I read in the UK media - well, Pistonheads - it actually doesn't look like Europe will get the GR Corolla. Looks like it's the US consolation price for not getting the GR Yaris so far.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Double wishbone in the rear

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/22 1:21 p.m.

In case you want more specs: 

Interesting to note that it is port injected and not direct injected

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YNV67sIxBKSkMLW5HP5nnawOWhPSwVEJghWvwn0fMSv7t1YrOTFju7vyNMz2SLeV