Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/21/22 9:03 a.m.
feature_image

Honda officially dropped the camo from the Civic Type R, showing us “the most powerful Type R ever.” Just how powerful is it? Good question, because Honda didn’t say–so expect at least 1 more horsepower than the outgoing model.

What we do know is that the car is powered by a turbocharged, 2.0-liter inline-four that sends power to the front …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
7/21/22 9:10 a.m.

Now I'm just waiting for Acura to show us the Integra Type S.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/21/22 9:18 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Maybe? 

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/22 9:58 a.m.

Wow, that's a really nice Accord! Are they going to offer a Civic too?

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/21/22 10:29 a.m.

Seriously beautiful car.  First time since the 5th gen Prelude that I've lusted for a Honda.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
7/21/22 10:55 a.m.

It's 2022 so I am obligated to gush over any ICE car with only positives. Like how it reminds me of a Subaru, could just be the pictures they chose or it could be all the factory edge. Either way, this is the new best thing.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/21/22 10:57 a.m.

I like it.  Not as "in your face" as the current model.  I'd want black, of course.

One has to wonder if this might be the last Type R Honda will build? That alone makes it a tempting purchase, even if I have no real need or use for it. 

My WAG on pricing: around $40K, give or take.

Don Fip
Don Fip GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/21/22 11:03 a.m.

Looks good so far, hopefully the overheating issue with track use is solved. 

Colin Wood
7/21/22 11:46 a.m.

For comparison, here's the power and MSRP of a few competitors:

• 2022 Hyundai Elantra N (manual): 276 horsepower, 289 lb.-ft. of torque, $31,250
  • 2022 Hyundai Veloster N (manual): 275 horsepower, 260 lb.-ft. of torque, $32,500
  • 2022 VW Golf R (manual): 315 horsepower, 295 lb.-ft. of torque, $44,090
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/21/22 12:10 p.m.

Traditional Type R white for me, please. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
7/21/22 1:12 p.m.

Those wider wheels (9.5 versus 8.5) will make a big difference. Curious how this might be classed for Solo II.  The LE is in B Street, so this one might be too!

That hood vent is in the perfect spot for the heat buildup from the turbo to escape.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

01C championship white is the option/ way to go 

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/21/22 1:35 p.m.
trucke said:

Those wider wheels (9.5 versus 8.5) will make a big difference. Curious how this might be classed for Solo II.  The LE is in B Street, so this one might be too!

That hood vent is in the perfect spot for the heat buildup from the turbo to escape.

Hopefully BS. DS is already super popular with a few different cars and so far all indications are that putting it there would be a "turd in the punchbowl" situation. Plus BS is basically empty these days after all the popular cars got moved to FS this year.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/21/22 2:21 p.m.

This might end up being my next car after I finish destroying the subarus I own. Subaru doesn't build anything of sufficient quality and durability to stand up to serious enthusiast use anymore and their warranty is as big a joke as their dealer network is crooked. The serious lack of shops that have the competency, honesty, and customer relations skills to help keep older serviceable hardware running where I live will soon force an upgrade to newer hardware that will be even harder to repair. its a bad situation for us enthusiasts. Does anyone actually live in an area where they have decent support for the older cars thus providing a viable alternative to these new and shiny glitzy toys like this new Honda...and yeah I want one. Badly.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/22 3:08 p.m.

Damn, I want this! i wonder how much it'll cost. I'm going to guess a $38.5k MSRP with $20k in market adjustments on top.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/21/22 3:12 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I'm guessing it starts at $39,995 plus shipping and other crap/taxes.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/21/22 3:25 p.m.

Well, it sure as hell looks better than the last generation. I could just never get past the looks to seriously consider buying one.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/22 10:54 p.m.

I'm guessing it will gain the 5hp the Si lost so 311. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/22/22 6:21 a.m.

I like it a lot. The first Honda I have wanted since my CRX Si.  Sadly, dealer gouging will ruin it for me.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/22/22 9:36 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

It'll be 8 months of camouflage and lead up time before they show you what it looks like. Another 6 months before power figures are released, and it'll be 2030 by the time it hits the lots. If Honda's current roll outs are any indication of how things happen. 

I'm also guessing the first lots will be $70k at a minimum. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/22/22 9:58 a.m.

The Honda Japan website has a couple of cool toys I don't see on American Honda's website.

Configurator:

https://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/configurator/

A papercraft Type R!

Instructions

The Parts

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/22/22 12:32 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Tease, tease , tease.  Still don't know HP numbers.    Drag it out baby.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/22/22 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

Too bad subaru isnt building anything of either sufficient performance or durability to meet the demands of a true enthusiast. I bet this thing can be flogged all day long and beg for more...no issues with cracked ring lands, oil starvation, or other major malfunctions i will bet my next ss check on that

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XI8T0P3YOkGaVOPuNZX41R7sDZdm6JMMXeOtmNrv5dghLljHoNqRWicgCRkL9ugC