Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/14/22 10:21 a.m.
feature_image

Just how busy has Toyota been leading up to this year’s Tokyo Auto Salon? The brand debuted two new cars–the GRMN Yaris and the GR GT3 Concept–plus a customization program for the current GR Yaris.

The press release doesn’t mention many specifics about the GT3 Concept, though it appears to be an announcement of Toyota’s intention to sell GT3-spec race cars …

Read the rest of the story

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/14/22 10:26 a.m.

PLEASE toyota bring the rally package to the corolla GR. I will buy one, not kidding.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/22 11:42 a.m.

That GT3 concept is gorgeous. Make that the new LFA!

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
1/14/22 1:52 p.m.

Give us the GR Yaris! You can afford to, even in small numbers. The FR-S proves that you can afford a smaller number of vehicles...

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
1/14/22 3:58 p.m.

Toyota went all in with the Yaris -  I guess I'm a little surprised they haven't done something like this with the Zupra or the 86.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 5:02 p.m.
engiekev said:

PLEASE toyota bring the rally package to the corolla GR. I will buy one, not kidding.

The new Corolla is longer overall and has a longer wheelbase than my S60R.

I want a SMALL car with lots of power and all wheel drive.  None of this giant car crap.  If that is what Toyota will dish out, $35k or whatever buys a lot of maintenance, and it will probably look a lot nicer in 2032 too.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/14/22 6:37 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

Toyota went all in with the Yaris -  I guess I'm a little surprised they haven't done something like this with the Zupra or the 86.

Probably hard to do much with other people's powertrains.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/14/22 6:42 p.m.
STM317 said:
gearheadE30 said:

That isn't fair.

It's other people's chassis, too, not just the power trains.

The 86 IS a Subaru, IIRC Toyota mostly brought capital investment to the party.  Not sure what BMW gets out of the Supra.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
1/14/22 7:44 p.m.

JNC contends the GR GT3 hints at Mazda's RX-Vision

Toyota and Mazda share a plant in Alabama that started production of the Corolla Cross, and there are rumors that the straight 6 Mazda has been planning is also going to be shared.

They sure do look similar especially the doors, also along with the cgi Lexus EV concept that was shown late last year.

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/22 8:41 p.m.

is it emissions?! is that why we don't get (all of the) cool cars?! 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/15/22 10:29 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
engiekev said:

I want a SMALL car with lots of power and all wheel drive.  None of this giant car crap.  If that is what Toyota will dish out, $35k or whatever buys a lot of maintenance, and it will probably look a lot nicer in 2032 too.

It's that big? With awd it'll probably weigh more than an s60r. Not likely any manufacturer will produce something like that any time soon.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/15/22 10:53 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
STM317 said:
gearheadE30 said:

That isn't fair.

The 86 IS a Subaru, IIRC Toyota mostly brought capital investment to the party.  Not sure what BMW gets out of the Supra.

If the deeper dives/videos I've watched about the design of the 86/BRZ are true, then Toyota pretty much lead the design in every aspect EXCEPT the power train in both cars. So I'd argue that the 86 and Supra are Toyotas.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/15/22 1:00 p.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
STM317 said:
gearheadE30 said:

That isn't fair.

If the deeper dives/videos I've watched about the design of the 86/BRZ are true, then Toyota pretty much lead the design in every aspect EXCEPT the power train in both cars. So I'd argue that the 86 and Supra are Toyotas.

The chassis is almost 100% Subaru and most of it interchanges with Impreza.

The only identifiably Toyota parts I can see are the transmission, which is shared with like a half dozen other makes (kind of a Japanese T5 in that respect) and the rear differential, which almost makes me think it would be cheaper to swap it into a WRX vs. an R180 from an STI given the availability of clutch pack diffs.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/15/22 1:03 p.m.
engiekev said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
engiekev said:

It's that big? With awd it'll probably weigh more than an s60r. Not likely any manufacturer will produce something like that any time soon.

Yes it's that big.  Probably would weigh less (it'd be hard not to) but one notices 10 inches of wheelbase before they notice 500lb.

Miata is, what, 90 inches? RX-7s and other sporting cars are in the 96 inch range.  A new Corolla is a bus like 108 inches.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/15/22 8:40 p.m.

It has been fun watching Toyota really cater to enthusiasts over the last few years.  They have multiple options from their partnerships with the GR86 and Supra, and their own in house GR Yaris and the forthcoming GR Corolla.  What other mainstream manufacturer has that many fun and affordable car right now?  Maybe Hyundai?

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/16/22 6:18 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
STM317 said:
gearheadE30 said:

That isn't fair.

The chassis is almost 100% Subaru and most of it interchanges with Impreza.

The only identifiably Toyota parts I can see are the transmission, which is shared with like a half dozen other makes (kind of a Japanese T5 in that respect) and the rear differential, which almost makes me think it would be cheaper to swap it into a WRX vs. an R180 from an STI given the availability of clutch pack diffs.  

Shared with an Impreza?! Oh boy...that's a disappointment. Oh well, at least it exists!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
adPVaN214CTeqEltZQbf9ItTZPcXAZPT45BCnwrrq4HNQOlT7ZbS1FvZAj4oYtBL