mightymike
mightymike Reader
5/21/14 8:49 p.m.

Does anyone have a copy of "How to Build and Modify Ford 60 Degree V-6 Engines (Motorbooks International Powerpro) [Paperback]" by Sven Pruett I could borrow, or a link to a reasonably priced copy?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/21/14 9:16 p.m.

holy crap that's one expensive used book. There's some supposed links to pdf versions on some dubious torrent sites, a search for the title + pdf will find them, make sure your anti virus is up to date.

Mustang50
Mustang50 New Reader
5/22/14 6:31 a.m.

Surprisingly the Cleveland Public Library has a copy. You may be to get your local library to borrow it for you.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/22/14 7:42 a.m.

I'm planning on going to a big swap meet this weekend. There's always a lot of books for sale and I can probably find this one if that sounds like something that would work for you.

Stan

mightymike
mightymike Reader
5/22/14 9:22 p.m.

Stan-PM on the way.

Mustang50-Thanks for the idea.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/22/14 11:03 p.m.

Inter Library Loan dude.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/23/14 2:33 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Inter Library Loan dude.

then ask if you can use their copy machine..

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/14 7:52 a.m.

Or scan it with a flatbed scanner.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
5/23/14 8:12 a.m.

Dude, that's straight up piracy. Remember that talk we had that involved a few of the GRM staff members? Yeah, don't talk about that here.

But if you do make copies, continuously seed the torrent.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
5/23/14 8:20 a.m.

I've found books on many topics in our public library from the 50's-60's etc. that were NLA. Checked 'em out and copied the important stuff and bound in a notebook. It pays to keep a library card.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/14 10:19 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Dude, that's straight up piracy. Remember that talk we had that involved a few of the GRM staff members? Yeah, don't talk about that here. But if you do make copies, continuously seed the torrent.

Yeah, because that's not the same thing...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/24/14 10:42 a.m.

Holy CRAP that's one pricey book!

stan
5/24/14 7:25 p.m.

Sorry. No luck finding that book. I was there for 4 hours and saw a LOT of books, but not that one. I even talked to one of the big book vendors and he told me that book will probably only be found on line. Sounds like a re-print is in order..

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/24/14 7:34 p.m.

Old-schoolers might remember that Sven used to work in the SCCA technical department. We've known him since the age of the flood.

Will
Will SuperDork
5/24/14 7:55 p.m.

Hope you can find a copy. With that said...

mightymike
mightymike Reader
5/26/14 4:39 p.m.

In reply to stan:

Thanks for trying!

stan
5/26/14 7:25 p.m.
mightymike wrote: In reply to stan: Thanks for trying!

No problem. It was like a treasure hunt.

Go luck with your search.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/22 2:35 p.m.

In reply to tonhanks22 :

But you can't. You can find a subset of books and those who are unaware think this subset is equivalent to all books. Ask any professional librarian. There's a pretty distinct line around 2010 where e-books became very common and books that predate that line quite rarely exist in digital form. That is the entire purpose of the Google Books project, which has scanned about 40 million books out of somewhere around 130 million.

Find me a copy of John Wyer's "The Certain Sound". Or Horseman's "Racing in the rain". Both of those are excellent sources of information on the Porsche 917 and the Ford GT40 from the people involved.

I recently wanted to read "Some birds don't fly" by Gary Paulson, a book about early missile development. I found a copy via interlibrary loan in Wyoming. According to the card inside, it was checked out about once a decade before records went digital. That one is available online in the Internet Archive, I'm pleased to see.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/5/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

There are books on canoes. wink

tonhanks22 said:

Now you can easily find any book on the Internet.

on the what?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/22 9:42 p.m.
stan said:

I'm planning on going to a big swap meet this weekend. There's always a lot of books for sale and I can probably find this one if that sounds like something that would work for you.

Stan

Books like this can only be found when they aren't being searched for.  It's almost a noble truth.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
5/7/22 12:46 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 8:41 a.m.
angelavaughan89 said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
tonhanks22 said:

Now you can easily find any book on the Internet.

on the what?

Your question is strange.

My dream is complete. I have become the man in the canoe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RDrQcgI8AwA1kQtYvjCFe2WsH6fC2mBYFq1xpIxDLBmL69tyt12MjwH3oLuQObay