1 2
kingbeann
kingbeann New Reader
6/27/10 4:17 p.m.

In that order. I'd prefer a manual transmission. FWD vs. RWD vs. AWD isn't going to be a deal breaker. Since this is a daily driver - something that is quiet on the highway and "presentable" for corporate work functions would be nice.

This will primarily be a daily driver replacing my WRX wagon. It will have one or maybe two carseats in the back. I hope to do 6 autocrosses a year. I know most any car can be autocrossed - I just don't want to be miserable autocrossing an overweight front wheel drive people mover. In terms of reliability, I don't want to be doing much beyond regular maintenance. I don't want to spend a ton of time and money converting suspension and drivetrain - or other major modifications.

In my perfect world I could afford a clean M5. In reality, I'd like to keep it around $10k or less.

Ideas I've considered (other than M5); another WRX (sedan this time), I think there are some 4 door GTi's (?), 4 door E36 M3 (although I'm afraid this would turn into a ton of maintenance at this point); E39 or newer 5 series; E46 or newer 3-series.

Other ideas?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds New Reader
6/27/10 4:25 p.m.

Cheap? 97-99 Maxima SE. Very strong, 5-sp with cloth seats isn't impossible to find, a few suspension tweaks and you're ready to go. There are lots of aftermarket options for lowering the car a little, putting on Illuminas and fixing the camber once it's dropped. Don't count on modding the engine, though.

1966stang
1966stang New Reader
6/27/10 4:46 p.m.

4 door Focus SVT?

Higher mile newer Civic SI 4 door wouldn't be much more, the value on these has dropped lately....although they are front end heavy and seem to like under steer...

Used Acura of some sort perhaps?

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/28/10 6:55 a.m.

1st gen scion xB

i took mine to summit point, all you need is good wheels & tires

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
6/28/10 7:36 a.m.
malibuguy wrote: 1st gen scion xB i took mine to summit point, all you need is good wheels & tires

On page 158 of the SCCA Solo Rulebook, the 1st gen Scion xB is specifically named as being not allowed to compete due to stability issues.
http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2010_scca_solo_rules.pdf

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/10 7:46 a.m.

MKIV Jetta 1.8T?

car39
car39 Reader
6/28/10 9:02 a.m.

Stupid cheap, cold a/c dead reliable

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
6/28/10 9:32 a.m.

neon, civic, protege are all cheap and autocrossable. as far as looking pesentable, hows about a 4door e30? 4 door e36? ms3?

Matt B
Matt B Reader
6/28/10 10:58 a.m.

I thought MS3 at first as well, but I couldn't find any under $11K within 500 miles of Atlanta in a quick Autotrader search, so I'm not sure they're that low yet?

I think the OP already mentioned probably the most well balanced choices considering the criteria: 3 series sedan or WRX.

Depending on just how competitive you want to be at autocross, I'd maybe consider the Acura TSX as well. It'll probably be more reliable, nicer than the Subaru, and presents a good image to the business associates. Stock, I think the handling feels sharper than the WRX, but the front-heavy fwd chassis might show itself on-course. Dunno, might be a cool dark-horse chassis? Realtime racing have used them to good effect in road racing at least.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
6/28/10 11:13 a.m.

The 2 car seats may be a challenge, but you should be able to find an early E46 sedan with a stick for under $10k. My 2 teenagers fit in the back well enough but they were far past car seats when I bought mine.

I have never driven one among the cones, but a 1st-gen Acura TSX with a stick would probably not frustrate you. And it would be a joy to drive as a daily.

The Max is a good bet, too. Surprisingly competent and not expensive.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
6/28/10 11:36 a.m.

If youd consider another WRX but also want something more presentable at corporate functions, id say you should consider a Legacy GT as well. IMO they've got it all over the WRX in styling and dignified presence when we're comparing the last gens of each (not current..).

cloud81918
cloud81918 New Reader
6/28/10 11:50 a.m.
Vigo wrote: If youd consider another WRX but also want something more presentable at corporate functions, id say you should consider a Legacy GT as well. IMO they've got it all over the WRX in styling and dignified presence when we're comparing the last gens of each (not current..).

Copy that.

These are the closest to a stealth fighter you can get. They are handsome, but not brash or a standout. They do everything else well too. Interiors as good as many higher level badges.

Snrub
Snrub New Reader
6/28/10 12:40 p.m.

Mazda RX-8. Trunk space isn't great, but it checks all of the boxes and is a blast to drive and AutoX.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
6/28/10 2:14 p.m.

05ish Legacy GT?

Regular Mazda3 is plenty quick on the autocross course too, not just the MS3. My wife had one and it would fit 2 carseats fine.

For that price you could get an 02-03 maxima...plenty of power,plenty of space, big backseat, big trunk and can be autocrossed...

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/28/10 3:03 p.m.
Snrub wrote: Mazda RX-8. Trunk space isn't great, but it checks all of the boxes and is a blast to drive and AutoX.

the only problem with the trunk is that the opening is small. the volume isn't half bad.

but you're right on all the other things...it is by far the best 4-door, "4 real seats" autoXer i can think of. potentially needing a spot for a baby seat is why i chose the 8 over an S2000 or another Miata. mine has been stone reliable as well.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
6/28/10 3:23 p.m.

Mazda6

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/28/10 3:28 p.m.

Whats wrong with your current WRX?

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
6/28/10 4:01 p.m.

If your willing to go a little over budget there is the mazdaspeed6.

The 'speed6 has a lot more room in the back seats than a WRX does (I have owned both). Keep in mind that the WRX is more fun to drive, and is more competitive in its class...

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/10 4:10 p.m.

Another +1 for the Legacy GT. That is the Scooby I am most enamored with. Every time I see one a little voice tells me to sell the P71 and move up to AWD turbo goodness...

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
6/28/10 4:10 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: If your willing to go a little over budget there is the mazdaspeed6. The 'speed6 has a lot more room in the back seats than a pre-2008 WRX does (I have owned both). Keep in mind that the WRX is more fun to drive, and is more competitive in its class...

fixed for accuracy

btw, I'm very jealous that a buddy just picked up an 05 LGT waggy. I think it's a very sexy car with good performance potential...

Photobucket

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 New Reader
6/28/10 6:00 p.m.

another vote for Maxima, earlier gens can be had for a song

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
6/28/10 6:03 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Oh I thought they replaced the WRX with a dead whale in '08

I keed I keed !!!

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/28/10 6:09 p.m.
kingbeann wrote: Since this is a daily driver - something that is quiet on the highway and "presentable" for corporate work functions would be nice.

I don't understand this part. I think a MG 1300 would fit the bill perfectly.... Not

But seriously I would suggest Volvo Turbo brick.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
6/28/10 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed: Seconded. I haven't autocrossed mine yet though- bad on course? I have rallycrossed it, and loved the crap out of it.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
6/28/10 7:51 p.m.

HONDA FIT....I'm regretting that I ever got rid of mine, even though 400hp and the whine of a supercharger from my mustang are great and all....I miss having a little roller skate to cruise around town in, pile in the homies, essays, hoodrats, etc. I was able to fit a longboard (surfboard) in there without a problem, slept in the back of it at Sebring for a week, fit a 47inch lcd tv in without a problem, and it was pretty damn fun on the autox course.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vBjKq2FtBRZUdFJqtWs1Dje5fRTdIVaIeP4v3gogEqaXYM0RZdIWdjws4iqv1zbS